First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Halla I like those gardens that incorporate a patio.
    Me too, Gromit.
    They satisfy my need for a balance between form and function.
    Is that what appeals to you also, by chance?

BTW ---> for you!

-Alex

Exciting that you get to start afresh and build up something new at the new place (although sad about moving on from something you've invested in for years).
    Indeed the fresh start is exciting.
    I am not saddened by leaving my old house behind.
    It was my first masterpiece.
    It was a HUGE learning experience.
    I built up the landscape beginning with drainiage control and installation of limestone boulder beds in the front yard for setting up the palette. ($5,000)
    Then I invested in two specimen palm trees for the front yard to initiate the prime aesthetic effect desired ($1,000)
    The backyard was landscaped for scenery, and also to be low maintenance where the lard was low + one more specimen palm tree. ($2,750)
    Two new levels of decks were installed in the back to create a three-level tiered area for entertainmnet of various kinds. ($3,000)
    The rest was filled in over time as I bought beautiful specimens (trees, bushes, vines, etc.) and also was given some by neighbors.
    It all came together beautifully.

My goal with the new house is to create an equally impressive and functional landscape at half the cost.
    I also want it ot be as low mainteneance as possible.
    My belief is that a blend of 70% bushes/trees positioned appropriately with 30% perennial flowering plants disperesed amongst the primary foliage creates a yard that looks good year round, and has dashes of beauty and flair as each flowering specimen makes its appearance each year.

-Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

This year my roommate is in on it with me. We have some herbs (chive, parsley, basil doing well) and also a couple tomatoes, a zucchini, and several bush beans.

I have never heard of that! I like to mix in some flowers with my vegetable plants. I like to think that it attracts bees more. But also they are pretty.
    Yes--I hadn't thought of it until recently (I have a "gardens are best for FOOD" bias, though flowers are lovely and I would like to grow them also--I just have so little space) and I think I'm going to do that next time. Actually, whoever has the garden box next to mine (it's a community garden) hasn't planted anything so it's just a mess of weeds and grass right now, so I am thinking of just planting flowers there also.

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    My mom somehow got me involved in her garden plans. So now we have chives, basil, thyme, mint, tomatoes, kale, swiss chard, peppers, egg plants, mustard greens, broccoli, cauliflower. I think that's it. Ooh and beans.

There's a cherry tree as well but we didn't get a lot of fruits this year because of the silly weather.

I really really want strawberry "plants" but maybe next year. (Anticipatory )
    I was super excited about my broccoli this spring. It got hot and my plants started bolting so I just harvested everything... but I discovered my new love for broccoli greens. So much nom.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I have a few years' worth of extnesive photos from my various gardening/landscaping projects from when I lived in Florida.
    They are in my blog ("Halla74's Flipbook - Glimpses Into the Frenzy">

Also, I will be moving into a new house on 8-17-2012, and must be rebuild the landscape from scratch, and will be doing some extensive planning and serial projects that will be photographed and shared here.

One site I like right now is: http://online-garden-design.designof...-design-plans/

These are my two faves from it, ATM...

AND...

My Mother's maiden name is "Marz" - which translated back to old German during the days of the Roman occupation in the Rheinland Pfalz region roughly translates to "Gardener."
    My Mom has always had a heavenly garden, all around the house, front yard, back yard, sides, everywhere - there is botanical beauty.
    I inherited this love of gardening from her, and it has been an immense source of joy and contentment in my life.

-Alex
    Amazing pictures
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I was super excited about my broccoli this spring. It got hot and my plants started bolting so I just harvested everything... but I discovered my new love for broccoli greens. So much nom.
    How do you prepare the broccoli greens? That would make my mom happy (I think).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    How do you prepare the broccoli greens? That would make my mom happy (I think).
    I sautee them in a little olive oil with diced onions, minced garlic, minced ginger, and soy sauce. When I was researching on the internets about whether I should eat them, I couldn't find that much in the way of recipes, so I wasn't sure if they'd be yummy. They are a little on the bitter side, but I really like them (especially with LOADS garlic and ginger, which is kind of how I roll usually).
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I sautee them in a little olive oil with diced onions, minced garlic, minced ginger, and soy sauce. When I was researching on the internets about whether I should eat them, I couldn't find that much in the way of recipes, so I wasn't sure if they'd be yummy. They are a little on the bitter side, but I really like them (especially with LOADS garlic and ginger, which is kind of how I roll usually).
    Niiiiiice! Thanks.

[Garlic and ginger = land of awesome]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgGvd1UPZ88"]The Garden[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVGIsFW9rQ&feature=relmfu"]The Garden[/YOUTUBE]

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP

I work at a very large nursery, so my garden is at work, but my garden at home consists of indoor plants.

In my room I have a zamioculcas zamiifolia and a pachira, and they are my loves.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I work at a very large nursery, so my garden is at work, but my garden at home consists of indoor plants.

In my room I have a zamioculcas zamiifolia and a pachira, and they are my loves.
    I've got a pothos now and this peace lily that I've had since my brother's funeral that was teetering on the edge of death when I moved (due to my never being home at my old place) but that has lots of new life on it. I've been thinking about investigating 1. air plants, and 2. succulents.

plants are green yaaayyy
    INFJ

MBTI
    INFP

Yep clean air plants all the way. Fake plants

Edit: oh air plants like tillandsia?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Yes. Like these beautiful weird things:

Air Plants 5.jpg
    INFJ