User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    FREE

Default Help Jonnyboy Furnish a 1-Br Apartment

I will soon be moving into my own 1 bedroom apartment. Previously, I have always rented a room in an already furnished apartment, so I will need to purchase things to fill my new place.

Some examples of things I'll need:

Sofa
    Coffee Table / End Tables
    Kitchen table / Chairs
    Etc (anything that would fit in a 1 br apartment)

Also, I might consider buying new furniture for my bedroom, depending upon the total cost. Bed, Dresser, Night Stand, Desk...

My budget is $5000.

If anyone has any suggestions, i.e. good places to buy, let me know!

Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Minimalist version:
    Bed;
    Portable/wheeled multipurpose stand bedside/elsewhere;
    Reclinable office chair/sofa replacement work/leisure;
    Small work desk
    Small kitchen desk 2-4 ppl / # of chairs accordingly
    Budget: 1000$
    Savings: 4000$
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INxP

It is worth checking the classifieds for the free sections, many things are given away to uplift. I'm unfamiliar with the us mediums but this would be a place to start along with Freecycle.

I would recommend a good, new mattress. Bases are easy enough to pick up for free and quickly sanitized. Waking up covered in bedbugs or catching lice or some such is not my idea of fun.

Charity shops and boot sales (flea markets? not sure of the us term).

Don't forget to put the word out among your friends and family.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

If this is your first place, you'll want to stock up the kitchen according to your needs. This can get pricey depending on how you use your kitchen. Plates, bowls, spoons, forks, butter knives. Kitchen knife, pairing knife, cutting board. Large serving spoon, spatula, large pot, small pot, a pan w/ lids. Dish towels, dish rags. Drinknig glasses, coffe cups. Ice trays (if you don't have an ice maker).

I'm leaving out any storage, small appliances and consumables. That is all highly individual.

MBTI
    FREE

Thanks for the advice thus far. I will look into Craigslist for possible deals on used furniture.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

go spend 3000 at rooms to go and 2000 at ikea on all your kitchen stuff, plants, frames, bedding, lamps maybe a new bed too
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Get plates and other kitchen things from goodwill. You can get pretty good stuff.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I will soon be moving into my own 1 bedroom apartment. Previously, I have always rented a room in an already furnished apartment, so I will need to purchase things to fill my new place.

Sofa
    Kitchen table / Chairs

Also, I might consider buying new furniture for my bedroom, depending upon the total cost. Bed, Dresser, Night Stand, Desk...

My budget is $5000.

Thanks.
    OMG! I totally want to help!!

I'll reply more in depth later but for now $5000 is a huge budget and I strongly encourage you to be as economical as possible for your first place and save the rest, I furnished equivalent of a 2 bed/2 bath place with all new stuff for less than $5000 and that includes cutlery, towels, and paper for the printer etc. and planned on keeping everything but the couch for at least years. And my place looks pretty sweet according to visitors. It just takes planning and knowing exactly kwhats on the market and what average price ranges for things are.

I would say first know your lifestyle and how long you want to keep the stuff. Know whwt style you like. Avoid buying knick knacks and smaller items until you get a olan for the rooms and buy bug items first like couch and bed. DO NOT buy anything from Ikea except for odds and ends and maybe a futon and push comes to shove a cheap non descript table and chairs. That stuff is crap and will break after 1 year. While being economical go for the best quality stuff THAT MATCHES in your budget, basically don't go for the cheapest stuff possible and do buy things in sets when possible. I have seen apartments furnished with plastic patio furniturel. It's not cute nor practical.

The exception for this is mattress, buy the best new mattress you can and don't get financing on it. Cash money.

More suggestions later, exciting!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

Sofa
    Kitchen table / Chairs

My budget is $5000.

Thanks.
    I think you have a good budget, i was just curious what the M.O is here. What are you looking for... comfort, minimalism, ease, class, originality? Theres a lot of directions you could go. I could tell you what i would personally do but i highly doubt it's what you would like.
    I did have a look at SanFran furniture stores using the internet mediums though... just for research purposes. (Oh, now i wondering if it's actually where you are/were?)
    More info please
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I like that the enfps want to decorate it for you.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison