• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Jonnyboy Furnish a 1-Br Apartment

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
I will soon be moving into my own 1 bedroom apartment. Previously, I have always rented a room in an already furnished apartment, so I will need to purchase things to fill my new place.

Some examples of things I'll need:

Sofa
Coffee Table / End Tables
Kitchen table / Chairs
Etc (anything that would fit in a 1 br apartment)

Also, I might consider buying new furniture for my bedroom, depending upon the total cost. Bed, Dresser, Night Stand, Desk...

My budget is $5000.

If anyone has any suggestions, i.e. good places to buy, let me know!

Thanks.

Permabanned
Minimalist version:
Bed;
Portable/wheeled multipurpose stand bedside/elsewhere;
Reclinable office chair/sofa replacement work/leisure;
Small work desk
Small kitchen desk 2-4 ppl / # of chairs accordingly
Budget: 1000$
Savings: 4000$

River

flowing quietly by
MBTI Type
INxP
It is worth checking the classifieds for the free sections, many things are given away to uplift. I'm unfamiliar with the us mediums but this would be a place to start along with Freecycle.

I would recommend a good, new mattress. Bases are easy enough to pick up for free and quickly sanitized. Waking up covered in bedbugs or catching lice or some such is not my idea of fun.

Charity shops and boot sales (flea markets? not sure of the us term).

Don't forget to put the word out among your friends and family.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If this is your first place, you'll want to stock up the kitchen according to your needs. This can get pricey depending on how you use your kitchen. Plates, bowls, spoons, forks, butter knives. Kitchen knife, pairing knife, cutting board. Large serving spoon, spatula, large pot, small pot, a pan w/ lids. Dish towels, dish rags. Drinknig glasses, coffe cups. Ice trays (if you don't have an ice maker).

I'm leaving out any storage, small appliances and consumables. That is all highly individual.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Thanks for the advice thus far. I will look into Craigslist for possible deals on used furniture.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
go spend 3000 at rooms to go and 2000 at ikea on all your kitchen stuff, plants, frames, bedding, lamps maybe a new bed too

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I will soon be moving into my own 1 bedroom apartment. Previously, I have always rented a room in an already furnished apartment, so I will need to purchase things to fill my new place.

Sofa
Kitchen table / Chairs

Also, I might consider buying new furniture for my bedroom, depending upon the total cost. Bed, Dresser, Night Stand, Desk...

My budget is $5000.

Thanks.

OMG! I totally want to help!!

I'll reply more in depth later but for now $5000 is a huge budget and I strongly encourage you to be as economical as possible for your first place and save the rest, I furnished equivalent of a 2 bed/2 bath place with all new stuff for less than $5000 and that includes cutlery, towels, and paper for the printer etc. and planned on keeping everything but the couch for at least years. And my place looks pretty sweet according to visitors. It just takes planning and knowing exactly kwhats on the market and what average price ranges for things are.

I would say first know your lifestyle and how long you want to keep the stuff. Know whwt style you like. Avoid buying knick knacks and smaller items until you get a olan for the rooms and buy bug items first like couch and bed. DO NOT buy anything from Ikea except for odds and ends and maybe a futon and push comes to shove a cheap non descript table and chairs. That stuff is crap and will break after 1 year. While being economical go for the best quality stuff THAT MATCHES in your budget, basically don't go for the cheapest stuff possible and do buy things in sets when possible. I have seen apartments furnished with plastic patio furniturel. It's not cute nor practical.

The exception for this is mattress, buy the best new mattress you can and don't get financing on it. Cash money.

More suggestions later, exciting!

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Sofa
Kitchen table / Chairs

My budget is $5000.

Thanks.

I think you have a good budget, i was just curious what the M.O is here. What are you looking for... comfort, minimalism, ease, class, originality? Theres a lot of directions you could go. I could tell you what i would personally do but i highly doubt it's what you would like. :smile:
I did have a look at SanFran furniture stores using the internet mediums though... just for research purposes. (Oh, now i wondering if it's actually where you are/were?)
More info please

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like that the enfps want to decorate it for you. :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
go to estate sales, they often have really nice furniture for really cheap.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You might consider buying only the strict necessities for now (bed, desk, chair) and seeing what you actually miss having. You might be ok without a coffee table/end tables or even a sofa, depending on your lifestyle. I don't have a kitchen table or a coffee table, mainly due to space but I don't miss them. I eat at my desk which suits me (ymmv)

If bed bugs are common in your city any kind of used furniture is a risk - they don't stick to mattresses, unfortunately. Ikea is the obvious choice for starter furniture, beyond that it really just depends how much you want to pay for better-quality furniture.

kitchen - I did cups/plates/utensils from goodwill, bought a few pots and pans new and others used. anything nonstick will need to be new. Cast iron is useful and fairly easy to find used if you look long enough. around here grocery stores often sell pretty cheap kitchen stuff, not sure about your area.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What's your style? That would probably be a good starting point.