• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Minimalist Challenge

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Moving in a few months will give me a lot of incentive for this. I plan to cut down a LOT - I have way too much of things like food, toiletries, etc that I tend to stock up on sales with, alas.

As sad as I am to move (and dreading the work), I am looking forward to the decluttering aspect.

So I will probably be re-reading this thread (and elsewhere) for tips and so on. :)

Good luck with it! If you have even a quarter of the clutter we do, it'll be an adventure for sure.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oh my god can I just rant for a moment about pillows!

I see this ALL the time and I cannot understand it for the life of me. All of those damn pillows. The decorative ones in all shapes and sizes except for a functional size. On the couch. On the bed. On chairs. They're stiff, hard, full of stuff that makes it useless as a pillow, and there's a hundred hundred of them! I never ever understood why that look is so appealing.

This is one thing I am definitely already a minimalist about at least. I really cannot understand the concept at all. It doesn't even look nice to me--it looks untouchable. Like museum nice. I had a buddy in high school I hung out with all the time, and I remember we avoided his house like the plague because it was TOO Fancy. We were scared (and rightly so) that we'd break anything in there just by looking at it too much. It wasn't welcoming. It was nice looking, sure, but it was so untouchable!!

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Well, they're good for when your furniture is uncomfortable... but if you have comfy furniture, I guess you don't need them that much.

I do love me some comfy decorative pillows, though. I think one or two of those, plus a throw, are very useful in a living room, as well as sprucing the place up a bit. Good for when someone's staying the night and needs to sleep on your couch, too, if you don't have an extra set of sheets. (I know this from experience.)
I had a buddy in high school I hung out with all the time, and I remember we avoided his house like the plague because it was TOO Fancy. We were scared (and rightly so) that we'd break anything in there just by looking at it too much. It wasn't welcoming. It was nice looking, sure, but it was so untouchable!!
Ugh, I hate that. Homes are supposed to be welcoming.

My aunt's house is so full of antiques that it's practically a museum. It's impossible to tell which furniture is okay to sit on and which furniture isn't. There are big ticking antique clocks in almost every room. I lived with her over a summer and practically cried the first night I spent there; it was impossible to relax.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Well, they're good for when your furniture is uncomfortable... but if you have comfy furniture, I guess you don't need them that much.

No no. Not the comfy reading corner stuff. I mean the decorative stuff.

easter_accents_nicosia_bedroom_ensemble.jpg

This is a prime example. You can't lay on that! You can't sleep with all of those! Half of them probably have beads and lace on them that'll make imprints on your face!

My aunt's house is so full of antiques that it's practically a museum. It's impossible to tell which furniture is okay to sit on and which furniture isn't. There are big ticking antique clocks in almost every room. I lived with her over a summer and practically cried the first night I spent there; it was impossible to relax.

Yeah, my aunt is the same way.. so many nice things that she has to have 'not so nice' things.. I don't see why you can't just get a good medium-nice thing. Looks pretty good, feels really good, won't make you cry if it messes up.

gromit

likes this
Those in the picture are overkill, but I do like a few fluffy colored pillows on the sofa for a nap or for cuddling. And aesthetically too.

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No no. Not the comfy reading corner stuff. I mean the decorative stuff.

easter_accents_nicosia_bedroom_ensemble.jpg

This is a prime example. You can't lay on that! You can't sleep with all of those! Half of them probably have beads and lace on them that'll make imprints on your face!

Yeah, my aunt is the same way.. so many nice things that she has to have 'not so nice' things.. I don't see why you can't just get a good medium-nice thing. Looks pretty good, feels really good, won't make you cry if it messes up.

You will suffocate yourself in your sleep on that.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Part of being a minimalist is choosing high-quality items and fixing them versus lower quality 'disposable' items. This includes clothing. It used to be, the price you spent on clothes indicated the quality of the fabric and binding. This really isn't the case anymore. My seamstress aunt was fixing my clothing for me in exchange for helping her downsize her plates for the women's shelter and she pointed out several items that she thought were very high quality, and I told her the prices I paid for them and she about had to re-hang her jaw. :D Anyways, I got all my clothes fixed! Whoo! Pants that ACTUALLY fit and don't drag along the ground, and dresses that I can wear without bras (I really, really don't know why ANY dress would be made without a bra built into it. Srsly.)

I fixed her laptop while I was there. Man that thing was a mess.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(I really, really don't know why ANY dress would be made without a bra built into it. Srsly.)
Imagine all the dress sizes. :ohmy:
(Unless you're talking about shelf bras -- in which case, I totally disagree, because some people, myself included, have too much boob for shelf bras to work well.)

I generally agree, though I bought a convertible bra recently and it has been miraculous with my dresses. :wub:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Unless you're talking about shelf bras -- in which case, I totally disagree, because some people, myself included, have too much boob for shelf bras to work well.)

I generally agree, though I bought a convertible bra recently and it has been miraculous with my dresses. :wub:
Yeah, I hate those stupid shelf bras. They don't do anything but add discomfort, and I'm barely average sized. Given how hard it is to get a bra to fit in the first place, I agree that it'd be a nightmare to find a whole dress that fits including a built-in bra, although that sounds awesome! High-quality clothes are so nice to have. :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

I mean those dresses like this.
LongDresses.jpg

Either you're the type with tiny bewbs (cough) and you just need some privacy.. or you're the type that's going to need to wear a bra anyways, so a little privacy won't really show no matter how you go.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Yeah, I dunno why, but it seems like maxi dresses are usually cut for people with flat chests. I've noticed that too -- it's part of why I don't buy them. :dry:

Here are my two most recent dress purchases -- both of which flatter my 36C cleavage:

anthropologie--paca-halter-dress.jpg

striped-slub-cap-sleeve-dress-white-stripe.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:wubbie: I love the shape of the top one! Yeah, I have two maxi-dress-ish things, and since I lack assets, they're perfect since they roll up tiny for traveling and they're all that's required for the outfit.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Lately I've been getting a lot done in this category of my life with some help.

I got a new desk for my room built into the wall which has given all of my school work and paperwork a place to call home. I still need to set it all up, but it's a great start.

Also several things in my home have gotten major repairs and fixes.. which has helped inspire me to keep going in de-cluttering the stuff that I live around.

2014 is a new year still, people! You can create little challenges for yourself, and tone down the things you live with!
My goals for this year:
- Declutter my paperwork outflow so that I can actually do paperwork without feeling overwhelmed.
- Finally organize all of my photographs of the family as well as my own.
- Throw a box of things out every week for trash or donation. At least 1 liquor store box's worth.
- Fix all of my army stuff so that I never have to deal with that mess again.
- Maybe finally get rid of my bed. Maybe.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lately I've been getting a lot done in this category of my life with some help.

I got a new desk for my room built into the wall which has given all of my school work and paperwork a place to call home. I still need to set it all up, but it's a great start.

Also several things in my home have gotten major repairs and fixes.. which has helped inspire me to keep going in de-cluttering the stuff that I live around.

2014 is a new year still, people! You can create little challenges for yourself, and tone down the things you live with!
My goals for this year:
- Declutter my paperwork outflow so that I can actually do paperwork without feeling overwhelmed.
- Finally organize all of my photographs of the family as well as my own.
- Throw a box of things out every week for trash or donation. At least 1 liquor store box's worth.
- Fix all of my army stuff so that I never have to deal with that mess again.
- Maybe finally get rid of my bed. Maybe.

FYI, I love my 8" futon. And it's completely comfortable on a wood floor. And I can move it around or hide it to reconfigure my room on a whim.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
FYI, I love my 8" futon. And it's completely comfortable on a wood floor. And I can move it around or hide it to reconfigure my room on a whim.

:D I remember you mentioning buying that on an impulse! My bed is starting to get creaky and wobbly with age.. it was a cheap purchase and I think it may still serve my sister.. but I've pretty much gotten rid of the rest of the whole set. I've been desiring a new mattress anyways.

I'm glad it's comfortable! Gives me a little confidence in my decision.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Stuff went to donation yesterday! We scrapped a BUNCH of copper and metals from the shed and back porch, with more stacks already being made while I'm in school.. a bag full of shoes I never wear and clothes that just don't look swell enough on me to justify keeping. I do need some particular pieces, but I feel like I should be pickier and choosier about them and get them as I need them and see them vs grabbing things that'll do for now last minute.

Ordered a pair of new running shoes that will double as work shoes too, so that's cool. I got rid of a bunch of books on my bookshelf.

Things to get still:
- 2 CD organizers since I have too many CDs/DVDs still outside of safety cases.
- A way to organize my odds-and-ends winter stuff.. I'm thinking an over-the-door shoe organizer will do it.
- A small plant area. I need a plant in my room I decided.

Sunny Ghost

I've always wished I could be more minimalist. But I love art, and books, and collecting odd little things. My walls are covered, and my shelves are filled. They fill my world with wonder. Maybe I should start with the bathroom. It would be easier.

W

WhoCares

I've lived without a permanent residence for a year, everything I need fits into two small trolley bags. I've gotten by renting a room by the night and bunking down with relatives. I am getting a residence again ths year but I will hesitate to fill it up with furniture again. Furniture is a huge liability espeially when you move. After getting rid of my last bed I will never buy an innerspring again I'll go back to a futon which is cheaper to buy and easier to transport. All my old furniture was recycled by being sold or given away. I only now own my vintage espresso machine, my harp, my motorbike, clothing, an ipad and two lovable cats who are boarding with my mother temporarily. It makes my next move easy.

Still trying to find a very small house (less furnishings needed) on a decent bit if land for my permaculture stuff. Its actually really hard to find a small house. I didnt count on that at all. I love living frugal, so minimal goes well. My challenge this year is to put down roots again. The next move is to go off-grid in terms of money. I want to live with as little to do with the world monetary system as possible. I've spent years learning basic homesteading so I can increase my self reliance, of course I still rely on some basics (purchsed lye for soapmaking for example, although I'm keen to make my own from ash just once), once I'm settled I want to learn beekeeping, make a rocket mass heater and build my own hot water system so I can disconnect from the electricity grid. Growing enough food for health is easy, I've already doen it once and if you can't bring yourself to kill a chicken then you can always eat the eggs. So much to do....

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
++
I've always wished I could be more minimalist. But I love art, and books, and collecting odd little things. My walls are covered, and my shelves are filled. They fill my world with wonder. Maybe I should start with the bathroom. It would be easier.

I was wishing that too--and I am a collector of things as well. You know what I've been doing last year was identify things I really needed/wanted and started 'exchanging' them for a couple items I didn't need. That works generally well for me and my family lately. I grabbed a lovely wall-covering picture of a rope bridge in the foggy jungle morning, and replaced 4 art-pieces on my wall with it. 3 items less, and more lovely scenery.

My suggestion is take it a little at a time. Just make a small box, stick it at your front door, and go through something in random places for a while and say, "Hey, I don't really need this.." and put it in the donation box. At the end of the week, take it to donation, and start again. If you start struggling in a certain spot, move on to the next. After a couple months of that, you can really start looking at small sections and see what you kept trying to keep and what you wavered on, and analyze it.

I found it really helps to justify three things out loud:
1. How you got the piece
2. Why you kept it
3. What it does.

If you cant make words for those three aspects of it.. chances are it's not really important.

I've lived without a permanent residence for a year, everything I need fits into two small trolley bags. I've gotten by renting a room by the night and bunking down with relatives. I am getting a residence again ths year but I will hesitate to fill it up with furniture again. Furniture is a huge liability espeially when you move. After getting rid of my last bed I will never buy an innerspring again I'll go back to a futon which is cheaper to buy and easier to transport. All my old furniture was recycled by being sold or given away. I only now own my vintage espresso machine, my harp, my motorbike, clothing, an ipad and two lovable cats who are boarding with my mother temporarily. It makes my next move easy.

Still trying to find a very small house (less furnishings needed) on a decent bit if land for my permaculture stuff. Its actually really hard to find a small house. I didnt count on that at all. I love living frugal, so minimal goes well. My challenge this year is to put down roots again. The next move is to go off-grid in terms of money. I want to live with as little to do with the world monetary system as possible. I've spent years learning basic homesteading so I can increase my self reliance, of course I still rely on some basics (purchsed lye for soapmaking for example, although I'm keen to make my own from ash just once), once I'm settled I want to learn beekeeping, make a rocket mass heater and build my own hot water system so I can disconnect from the electricity grid. Growing enough food for health is easy, I've already doen it once and if you can't bring yourself to kill a chicken then you can always eat the eggs. So much to do....

I think there are plenty of ways to get this done!! The way I'm going is looking for a large plot of land and buying it, since small plots are impossible to find, and building my house from there. The way you're talking, I'd say it'd be so much easier to find someone willing to subdivide their property and buy a piece from them and build the house from there. If you do it right, you can install some awesome things like solar heaters and electricity and such and wire the whole house to those off-the-grid purposes.

... Though, if you do a composting toilet, you might as well make an outhouse. @_@ Those just smell bad no matter what you do.

I don't have a desire to live off the grid, but I do have a desire to be able to live on very little bills so that I can basically do nothing all month if I wanted to and not worry about money. I don't want to live month-to-month. I want to live. And a tiny house is the vehicle that's going to get me there.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You should clean my place