User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I actually did write about this product a while back! I have the desktop version and the portable scanner.. but my portable scanner seems to have issues (it tends to eat papers) I've just been too busy (read: lazy) to call the company up and fix it. I think I'd be much better about it if the portable version worked since it is small enough to stay in my little pocket my electronics sit at on my bed. For now, I just let everything pile up until I cannot stand it, and then do a huge massive sorting where I bust out the desktop version, hook it up to the laptop, and start scanning shit in massive stacks, and then I take it all to my armory and do a massive shredding of documents I don't need anymore. (And then I get lazy still and throw some of them away anyways. I'm sure there's some 40 year old dude somewhere in Italy buying a new corset in my name as we speak.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Whenever I look at all of my stuff, I start to get annoyed with it now.. I dislike having to even get RID of so much stuff. All of those papers are killing me. Having to stash things in places annoys me.

Things I got rid of this week:
    - Three organizers
    - A small stack of books
    - Some sacks of clothes
    - And I donated one of my fancy dresses to the kids-that-need-prom-gowns foundation thing close by.

I am re-purposing a bowling ball of mine, and a bowling ball of my mother's. Faux stone spray paint + a few hours of dry time = some awesome 'stone' balls for the garden area.

What I aim to get rid of this week:
    - A bunch of older electronics
    - A bunch of swords in my possession
    - Some Japanese panels
    - Some of the recycling materials in our house (brass, copper, motors, etc.)
    - This wire basket in my closet that does nothing but catch shit I throw in it.
    - All of the paperwork that I have piled up. My goal is to leave only one folder of super-important-documents that I need the originals of.. to create an army I Love Me book for convenience, and have everything else digital. That way it is all of my shelf and out of the way. (This does not include my art/study items. I need to make books for them.)

If I can get all of that done this week, I think I can clear the way for some really cool projects I've been meaning to do--like turning our photos into albums (omg will that clear SO much space so fast in my closet and get rid of so much..) and hemming up my pants with that tiny sewing machine so that I can have slacks that fit well.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    E..P
    Enneagram
    728 sx/so
    Socionics
    ?

I've noticed that the amount of stuff I own is positively correlated with the amount of time I have to spend organizing and cleaning so I really try to keep it minimal because I hate cleaning. Last weekend I collected many bags of stuff around my place, I did it REALLY quick to get over it quickly and oh man I feel good now I also love how pretty it looks now.

Isn't it crazy the crap that you find and are like WTF?
    @kyuuei were/are either of your parents hoarders? My mom is, not quite so bad as on those shows, but still pretty bad. After helping my parents go through their house of 30 years to downsize to an apartment, I realized how deeply I never want to be like that.

You really have to be always evaluating, do I want this? do I need this? do I have room for it?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyWoman View Post
    I've noticed that the amount of stuff I own is positively correlated with the amount of time I have to spend organizing and cleaning so I really try to keep it minimal because I hate cleaning. Last weekend I collected many bags of stuff around my place, I did it REALLY quick to get over it quickly and oh man I feel good now I also love how pretty it looks now.
    I noticed when I need to clean things in a hurry, I tend to be much more willing to get rid of stuff. "Omg, this person is coming in an hour! I don't need this box!!! *THROW!*"

I'm glad it makes you feel better. It's amazing how satisfied we really are with being done cleaning so fast, and going from messy-to-civilized in such a short amount of time. If I throw a load of laundry in the washer to wash, put my books back on the shelves, and make my bed I have almost literally transformed my room.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Kyu were/are either of your parents hoarders? My mom is, not quite so bad as on those shows, but still pretty bad. After helping my parents go through their house of 30 years to downsize to an apartment, I realized how deeply I never want to be like that.

You really have to be always evaluating, do I want this? do I need this? do I have room for it?
    YES. I seriously was like, "Omg I have a bowling ball? Wtf am I going to do with that!?" So I consulted the oracle, whom informed me that I can turn it into a bad ass garden ball decoration.

And Yes, my father is especially prone to hoarding. He puts real value on things for the sake of thinking that it is valuable. "That table was in our house as long as I could remember." But how does that make it valuable? I'll never know. The problem is, EVERYTHING has value like that, from free stuff to old stuff. It has been a slow struggle trying to get him to downsize his stuff. I doubt I'll ever get him to downsize, but at least I can get some of the stuff gone enough to where he can live in an environment that is organized and easy to clean. I am lucky that organizing is a billion dollar industry here in the US.

I got a funny look the other day at a Japanese festival where they were handing out free pens to people. And I said no thank you. The man insisted that it was free. But... I have a TON of pens already. I had to get rid of some because I had too many! I have enough pens to write out seven books, edit them, and re-write them again. I certainly didn't need another one that I knew I wouldn't use.

MBTI
    E..P
    Enneagram
    728 sx/so
    Socionics
    ?

LOL, yeah! Weird devices of which I have no idea what they were actually made for. I never understand how those end up among my stuff! Or books about cooking, really WTF, I would never choose those since I rarely cook properly and if I do, I never follow any instructions

Same here, my mum is very materialistic, not status-conscious but just stuff lover. She had to move into a bigger apartment because all her stuff didn't seem to fit in the old one anymore *rofl* Even I realized how stupid that was, I'd just throw away 90 % of her stuff if I was to decide. I hate to be in a place where I constantly need to look out where I step, I couldn't live in her place for a week.

And yeah, I'm definitely a project person when it comes to cleaning! I hate the maintenance I should do to avoid mess but when it's really messy I'm highly efficient and clean my ass off
    Johari Nohari

Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Big Five: Inquisitive
    Brain Lateralization: Right brain
    Friends: Phoebe
    MOTIV: Offbeat
    MTG Color: Red/Blue
    Multiple intelligences: Linguistic > Mathematical > Kinesthetic...
    My Little Pony: Rainbow Dash
    Oldham style: Mercurial > Idiosyncratic...
    R-Drive: Dynamism > Vitality > Hedonism...
    Temperaments: Sanguine
    Trifix: 7w6, 2w3, 8w7
    VisualDNA: Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    And Yes, my father is especially prone to hoarding. He puts real value on things for the sake of thinking that it is valuable. "That table was in our house as long as I could remember." But how does that make it valuable? I'll never know. The problem is, EVERYTHING has value like that, from free stuff to old stuff. It has been a slow struggle trying to get him to downsize his stuff. I doubt I'll ever get him to downsize, but at least I can get some of the stuff gone enough to where he can live in an environment that is organized and easy to clean.
    Yeah it was more like out of financial necessity that it happened for my parents, otherwise I probably would have been going through it all when they die.

But yes, I relate to that phrase 'a slow struggle'. My mom sees value/potential in everything. "I was thinking I could use x item for y purpose" (whether or not y is at all likely to occur) or "I thought so-and-so would like z" (even though so-and-so will likely never see the item). So every single thing was like a battle. I would feel so frustrated with not being able to get rid of stuff that by the time I'd get home after a 'session' I'd just start getting rid of my own possessions. Because I could.

One time I began packing up my thick heavy sweaters to donate because "I don't wear these anymore" and then I had to remind myself you don't wear them BECAUSE IT IS SUMMER

So yes, you can go overboard with this thinking

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Yeah it was more like out of financial necessity that it happened for my parents, otherwise I probably would have been going through it all when they die.
    I wish my dad was like this. Even in the face of financial crisis, he's refused to downsize his own possessions. I have had much success with him letting go of many items that were never really his from his old business, but getting his possessions to a lower number is really difficult. He could make some serious money on some of his possessions too.

But yes, I relate to that phrase 'a slow struggle'. My mom sees value/potential in everything. "I was thinking I could use x item for y purpose" (whether or not y is at all likely to occur) or "I thought so-and-so would like z" (even though so-and-so will likely never see the item). So every single thing was like a battle. I would feel so frustrated with not being able to get rid of stuff that by the time I'd get home after a 'session' I'd just start getting rid of my own possessions. Because I could.
    I think my mother has hints of this from being married to my father for so long--but she's easier to convince than my father.. He ALWAYS sees a use for things that are awful. "All of those old rusted nails?! You never know when you'll need a nail like that!" 'But dad, it's mixed in with so much stuff that we'll never find it..' "Oh, no no, I know where stuff is.." @_@

I just want to throw everything I own out the window when I'm done working with him for a day.

One time I began packing up my thick heavy sweaters to donate because "I don't wear these anymore" and then I had to remind myself you don't wear them BECAUSE IT IS SUMMER

So yes, you can go overboard with this thinking
    Yes I have done this before, and I have done it recently too!! "Oh crap.. turns out I only have 2 pairs of pants now..." So far it hasn't been so bad since it is the tail end of winter, but it forced me to dress nicer than I cared to during my vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I wish my dad was like this. Even in the face of financial crisis, he's refused to downsize his own possessions. I have had much success with him letting go of many items that were never really his from his old business, but getting his possessions to a lower number is really difficult. He could make some serious money on some of his possessions too.
    Well, I think it was easier because my mom sort of defers to my dad in a lot of decision making and he was the one who came to the conclusion they had to sell.

But yeah, it can be rough. For me, the whole situation was really helpful in terms of developing a better understanding of the distinction between "things I can control/affect" and "things I cannot"

Yes I have done this before, and I have done it recently too!! "Oh crap.. turns out I only have 2 pairs of pants now..." So far it hasn't been so bad since it is the tail end of winter, but it forced me to dress nicer than I cared to during my vacation.
    And it makes you realize that you really can make do with much less than you think too. But still. I don't really have a problem keeping things I actually like and use, even if there is some redundancy. The sweet spot. To a certain point, more stuff can make you happier, because you have choices and don't feel bored. But too much stuff impedes your pleasure of life, drags you down, and you end up not even using/enjoying what you have.

I don't know if these kinds of things are so obvious to most people that they don't even have to think it consciously, but it was kind of a big deal for me to come to that realization.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So, I think finding the perfect product I can keep going back to really is the key to stop goo-hoarding. It is so much easier to toss out things I don't really like after I find something I really do.

I've been pretty good about *actually* using up the stuff I don't like so much anymore to make way for stuff I do. I used up every bit of conditioner in the bathroom and now have a way paved for this new (hopefully awesome) stuff I'm trying out from etsy.

I'm still having trouble with the issue of finding my stuff new homes. I have gotten rid of stuff by the truck load, only to find it really isn't LEAVING my house because I haven't found a suitable home for it all yet. All of my clothes fit perfectly in my closet and little wire drawers now, but I still haven't found a home for the old shoe organizer and storage organizers yet. Craigslist is annoyingly slow on some items. I think I am going to take my replica swords to the recycling shop.. this is going to be the easiest way to get rid of them as they're slow to sell.

I'm going to change this up a bit and start doing one small daily project a day now simply because my 'get rid of' pile is bigger than I can handle now. So, today's project: take a bag of clothes to the donation bin and drop the nicer dress off at the library for the prom-dress-for-people-who-are-poor foundation. I'm pretty sure that's not the real name for it.