User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Tips for going digital with your paperwork:

1. Find a system that works for you. It has to be easy to use, easy to back up, and easy to access, otherwise youll never do it and papers will pile up. I use the Neat system because the scanners are accurate, simple to use, portable and small enough to tuck away, and the software is really useful. If I need a document, print to PDF and I can file it or email it to myself as needed.

2. Create a cloud. You could pay for one, which Neat now offers, but I don't really like paying for monthly services like that. What I do is I email documents to myself in gmail, and then label them under different folder names and archive them. I put the document in the subject title, and now I can access the document anywhere anytime, and it serves as an oh-shit back up. Computer crashes, hard drive crashes, no problem.

3. Multiple back ups. I back up my neat database everytime I update it. I keep the back up on my portable harddrive. I also email myself the backup every once in a while so I can download it from online if I need it. I don't really back up the email one too much, every so often I'll have to scan something important and ill email myself a bunch of files at once during that time.. but overall it gives me security. I have an offline access, an online access, and a daily access at any given point in time. This helped a lot when my computer suddenly decided to crash on me.. I downloaded the software onto a friend's computer, pulled up my files, and had my promotion packet printed before the end of the day. I couldn't say that if it were a box of actual papers destroyed somehow.

4. Keep the most important documents. It's okay to have a stack of "I haven't filed these yet--I dont know if I need them.." and its okay to have an "I Love Me" binder with all the essentials and important things in it. I keep a folder with a copy of important documents in my car just in case, and originals in a binder protected at home. I use the digital files 99% of the time, but there is always that one time someone wants a copy right then and there--and usually I shock them by actually having it.

What I'm still trying to figure out is how to declutter as a nerd. Books are difficult for me, as are gadgets, games, and electronics. I think Steam has been a HUGE asset for me in this regard, and so has having friends interested in similar hobbies--we can swap, trade, and borrow without buying tons of new items. But my collection of sculptures and art projects? My japanese inspired decor? Those panels that don't match an effin' thing that I still cant bring myself to rid of? And all of the swords and weaponry? when I get home, I see that easily being my biggest hurdle.

I'm still trying to simplify my beauty regime even more too. I've done PRETTY well, lowering it all to the size of my full-sized tote and a wall-hanger with extras. But I'd like to have everything I use be able to also fit into a traveling container. My tote isn't really made to pack in a suitcase to take with me. I'm going to start giving some of these Lush products a try--if they work out well, I could have my answer by finding something that helps my skin and getting to reduce a lot of these creams and potions I currently use on and off.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Went through organizing my digital files. I've gotten as far as I can get without having my computer here with me--I should have it by mid-August. But all the music is in a folder, all the pictures in a folder, and all the school work and documents are in a folder, which is a HUGE leap in the right direction. I'm going to go through some of the entertainment items and delete old things that don't amuse me anymore, documents are all organized and I'm satisfied with my school work folder again.

I still need to buy a small jump drive to keep the important stuff with me at all times--documents and daily activities and such. If I save everything to a jump drive instead of to my computer, I can easily file and back things up as needed. I think saving everything to a jump drive instead of to your computer keeps files organized and from being lost and it also helps your computer.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

These two posts have some really awesome insight into trying to declutter papers.

http://simplemom.net/yearly-planning...-crate-system/ -- SimpleMom's year crate. The idea is 52 files are available.. you stick in grocery lists, sticky-notes, birthday cards and wedding invitations in each week's file... On sunday, take the file out and review any papers in it. Keeps things neat, and if you have to organize things later on you can keep them in the old files and review them later.

http://simplemom.net/making-a-househ...-work-for-you/ -- A spiral-bound notebook you can carry with you.. Seems like it makes sense. I have a disorganized green notebook that I write EVERYTHING in for the army.. Maybe when I get home I will have something more organized.

garbage

We're in the process of moving house, so I'm taking the opportunity to sort my stuff into Donate, Sell, Trash, and Keep. The first three boxes are going to be massive, because razing clutter once in a while keeps one centered and focused on what's important; other people 'just starting out' could use some of my stuff and I may as well pay it forward; and also it's easy to haul a bunch of stuff to the thrift store or Salvation Army or what have you.

I'm very utilitarian. I don't like kitchen appliances that do one thing--an electronic orange juicer, a milk carton opener especially made for soy milk cartons, etc. Give me a few things that do.. lots of things.

Nor do I like things like ottomans, chases, or recliners sitting out in the living room. So, we're getting ourselves a decently-sized couch with reclining seats. Bam, solves all of those problems at once with one piece of furniture.

And so on.

I'm going to start taking pictures, once I get some actual boxes to put this stuff in.

Subscribin' to the thread.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    We're in the process of moving house, so I'm taking the opportunity to sort my stuff into Donate, Sell, Trash, and Keep. The first three boxes are going to be massive, because razing clutter once in a while keeps one centered and focused on what's important; other people 'just starting out' could use some of my stuff and I may as well pay it forward; and also it's easy to haul a bunch of stuff to the thrift store or Salvation Army or what have you.

I'm very utilitarian. I don't like kitchen appliances that do one thing--an electronic orange juicer, a milk carton opener especially made for soy milk cartons, etc. Give me a few things that do.. lots of things.

Nor do I like things like ottomans, chases, or recliners sitting out in the living room. So, we're getting ourselves a decently-sized couch with reclining seats. Bam, solves all of those problems at once with one piece of furniture.

And so on.

I'm going to start taking pictures, once I get some actual boxes to put this stuff in.

Subscribin' to the thread.
    I love it! I can't wait! Pictures would be SO welcomed!

Im huge on multitaskers as well.. I will almost always spend a bit more money on something that replaces 2 or 3 things rather than one. The oven I am buying for my tiny house is amazing--range ventilator, light for cooking underneath, microwave, food warmer, defroster, traditional oven and a speed oven all in one piece.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Found it and posted it on my house blog, but I figured it deserves to go here too.

A way to organize your make-up without taking up tons of counterspace:
    Step 1. Identify a magnetic place on your wall. (For me, it'll be the back of my medicine cabinet's door, so that you can't see them when it is closed). If your walls just happen to not be magnetic, decorate or hang a piece of magnetic boarding.
    Step 2. Stick magnets on the back of your make-up canisters.
    Step 3. Magnetic make-up! Organized, and out of the way but easily accessed.

garbage

In a commitment to minimalism, I'm doin' this (except the strikethrough'd):
    1. Make a commitment to Buy Nothing, except necessities, through the end of 2012. Tell at least one other person, or better yet, spread the word through Facebook, Twitter, G+, email, etc.
    2. Necessities are OK. Of course you’ll have to buy groceries and household supplies and medicine, and shoes for your kid if the shoes get holes in them. Christmas decorations are fine, as are balloons for your New Year’s party. And if you need to buy stuff for your business or work, go ahead and do that. But avoid buying gifts, or new clothes or gadgets or other things for yourself.
    3. Find other ways. If you need something, like a sweater or a hammer, see if you can find a different means other than buying it. Can you do without for a few more weeks? Can you borrow it from a friend? Trade? Find it free on Craigslist? Get it at a thrift store (yes, that’s buying, but buying from Goodwill is better than buying from Walmart). Can you make your own?
    4. Celebrate without buying gifts. There are lots of ways to celebrate the holidays, and buying gifts is only one possibility. We can have get-togethers with great food, with outdoor sports, indoor board games, out in nature. Or we can give food as gifts. Or our time. We can volunteer together. We can create movies and art together. Be creative!
    5. If you cave in and buy something for some reason, don’t fret. It’s much better to avoid buying for most of the holiday season, and save resources and carbon emissions (and debt), than to just ignore the issue and buy without limits. Just renew your commitment not to buy anything else after the slip up.
    6. If you’ve already done some shopping because of the sales, don’t worry. You can still participate by starting now, and forgetting about what came before!
    Of course, I don't buy or really accept gifts anyway, so I don't see this being a big deal at all.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    In a commitment to minimalism, I'm doin' this (except the strikethrough'd):

Of course, I don't buy or really accept gifts anyway, so I don't see this being a big deal at all.
    This would be much more difficult for me.. I've always been a huge gift-giver. I've decided, this year, to start doing 80% handmade gifts.. So I think that's a step in the right direction...

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Alright! I've been continuously working on this, and I have a couple ideas I came up with for people who want to do things a bit slower.

Idea 1: Create an outbox. A big box at the front of the door. Every week, or day depending on what your goal is, select something that needs to go 'out'.. A pair of shoes you never wear, an article of clothing that doesn't fit, a DVD you meant to return to a friend.. Something. If you're going that way, grab it from the outbox! If it's full, take a few minutes to take the items to their respective new homes.
    Idea 2: Minimize your flat surfaces. If you have a surface, you will put something on it. Guaranteed. Create a use for the flat surfaces that makes it inconvenient for you to use as a junk-drop-off.

As for me lately.. I've been systematically reducing my clutter.
    - I narrowed my tons of storage boxes down to three of the smaller tupperware containers.
    - Sorted my army gear so that I can probably get rid of half of it! I just need to ensure some of the things are not on any of my records before I completely let them go.. But now, I have a ruck with my common gear, a tan bag with my CIF, and a green tough box with all of my clothing. I have three duffles of stuff that needs to GO.
    - I've only kept the DVDs that have both languages I am learning as well as my favorites during trips that I keep going back to using. I begrudgingly let go of my NES (it has none of the wires and emulators can replace everything) and PS1. my PS2 I gave to my youngest sister.. if I ever desire to play any PS2 games, I can always go over there to play them, she needed a DVD player, so I gave her all the games, some DVDs I liked but had to part with, and the system under the condition that she let me know if she's getting rid of it.
    - I have gathered up all of the pictures I could possibly find in the house in one section, and now I'm going to start the process of going through them, scanning them, backing them up into CDs and a master drive, and selecting the best ones for photo books so that there's something for people to easily access.
    - I reduced my art supplies down to just two small organization boxes, canvases, a small easel and a large easel.
    - I did an initial run-down of my clothing.. I will be continuing this endeavor with another complete overhaul soon. I want to get down on the numbers.. like only having 3 bathing suits vs 6, one drawer of shoes vs the entire bottom section shoved full, etc.
    - I found an awesome program on amazon that allows you to trade in old hardware for amazon credit.. I'm going to attempt to turn in some of my old equipment in exchange for a nice back-up drive the whole house can use.
    - I'm getting rid of a lot of my artistic things--I need two pictures I really love framed. I want to get rid of a couple pictures, some masks on my wall, etc.
    - I got rid of my TV! I never really used it, and although I still have my PS3 and intend on using it... I just don't need the TV. By the time I get my home, and get settled in, and start really needing a television, there will be some really nice ones on major clearance. so it'll be a fun adventure to shop for in the future.. maybe something with energy efficiency for my poor solar panels.
    - Tons of CDs, CD covers, DVD covers, and paperwork went out the door. If the CD was in my car, I kept it and tossed the cover. I haven't changed or gotten rid of my CDs in years, I probably never will, so why keep the empty covers? GONE! The ones that weren't in my car had to go covers and all..
    - Jewelry went out the window today too. I kept only enough to fit on my little hanging organizer that travels easily--everything else had to leave!

... >.>.. Im still having so much difficulty with the hygiene stuff. I have tons of perfume still, and tons of soaps, lotions, and such that I use occasionally but I cannot seem to find a decent replacement for these things with something that multitasks more. So if any ladies are having issues with this, please let me know any tricks you've done to reduce the clutter. The only thing I've been successful at is re-using the items in my cleaning products to make them smell great.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

We made the switch over to making all of our cleaning products vs buying them... using up what we have left over in the house and making new products as we run out. The theory is to prevent stockpiling of stuff, having a ton of bottles, and most importantly to save money. So far? It's been amazing. Before I left for my trip, we were almost out of fabric softener, dryer 'sheets' (we make a liquid and dip a sock or something into it and throw that in the dryer), all-purpose cleaner, dishwasher detergent, and carpet freshener. I made all of these items in 30 minutes before I left without rushing to a store. It was pretty cool getting everything set up for my parents before I left without throwing an extra trip into my already busy day.

The dishwasher detergent is not as strong as the store bought stuff.. I realized that if you do a pre-soak, air-dry the dishes by just opening the door instead of heat drying them, and ensure that you use vinegar for the rinse cycle, it helps a ton. So far as heavily soiled dishes.. Soaking them with dish soap and water is the best bet. We put a small amount of soapy water in a sink, scrape out the food particles, and do a quick rinse and let it sit in the sink. The quick-rinse water goes into the plugged sink, and by the time it is full it is time to load up the dishwasher.

Bulkapothecary.com is the cheapest I've seen for anything from citric acid to essential oils.