User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I won't be readily available for the next month soon enough, so I'm writing things out in advance, so that people can work on it at will. I'll of course need to complete the goals long before I leave, but this process is already shortened since the items I own are just deployment items. So I'll write a summary post in the OP, and write out the tips and goals for rest of April and the month of May. I'll post my weekly goals during the days I do them, one a day for me instead of one a week.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Keep consolidating everything until you know you have what you need, without sacrificing anything you truly do use.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Alright!! Week one I am working on tomorrow, as I said, but I wanted to post this really quick.

Evaluate your goals:

Be sure to know that this program is NOT focused. Any effort is better than no effort, and the goals for everyone will be different. It really is just about identifying what you need, and what you really desire, and getting rid of the clutter that masks itself as the former items. Maybe you're really on top of organizing paperwork, but you have so many clothes your closet's hanging rack is drooping from the weight. Maybe you don't want to be a minimalist, which is cool, but minimalists are the Kings of Clean, so if you're just looking for a sort of late spring cleaning to shake up your year this would also suffice.

Answering these questions may help:

1. What is your goal in this? Your motivator can be as simple as what Qlip said, trying to have an open window, or more space, or maybe to become more frugal by developing a minimalist mentality.. or maybe you simply want to renew your stuff, and you're worried the old stuff will get in the way of making a change (like going to all-natural products, or updating your wardrobe) somewhere along the way. My goal is to have things super easy to clean, and to have a place for everything so that I stop losing items and procrastinating on cleaning. Saving time, essentially.

2. What am I weakest in? Maybe it isn't that you pack-rat everything. Seldomly people are total pack-rats.. maybe you don't use up everything before you purchase something new and more exciting. Or maybe you procrastinate. Maybe you need a fresher, new way of thinking (like when you keep buying things because they're on sale, instead of evaluating what you need out of an object and just getting the thing that works for you.. saving money in the long run instead of the short haul) before you buy something. Maybe you assign value to objects.. instead of assigning value to what they do. The book itself is not the valuable part, the information inside is what you want.. Find out if you can consolidate, and replace things by reassigning value.

3. Do I need this? Seems like a simple question, but we justify it all the time. "Well, sometimes I wear it whenever i'm going out.." I bought a dress for $3 one time, and I couldn't believe what a deal it was!! And yes, I wow'd everyone when I finally wore it... 3 years later. I spent time moving it around, working around it, hanging it up, washing it every-so-often to keep it fresh, and all for a few wows? It seems silly now.. "I'll buy this for the next time I have an occasion, and then it'll be already available!" It seems to make sense, but its just justification to have something you don't need. Chances are you probably already have things that serve you, and if you don't your money should go towards that.

4. What's the best way to get rid of things? If you assign value to things like clothing you were fond of when you bought it but now they don't fit, or DVD's you never watch.. just giving it away may not make you feel so great. Donating it may make you feel better.. re-selling it to buy a goal you've been working towards could transform things you don't truly need into something you do. Or maybe simply throwing it away because you know you'll never get rid of it if it doesn't leave your hands that day that instant will suffice. Whatever you do, make sure you feel good about pushing the items out of your life.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

My before picture. I literally have everything out except for the things I used that morning since I know they are essential to my morning routine.

After.

The list of everything I got rid of:

An economy sized thing of baby powder that'll never fit
    Foot soak tub. Originally I wanted to keep my feet girly and cute, but that'll never happen with desert survival school, so this is no use now.
    plain baby wipes
    astringent that's a brand I dont really like
    3 body washes. I like them, but just had way too much soap
    2 foaming facial cleansers that were a brand I didn't like as much as my current
    foot mask for the same reasons.
    face lotion it made my skin oily even though it was expensive
    night lotion Too lazy to ever use it.
    eye gel Same.
    foot soak solution Same.
    sunscreen Just had too much
    double chin reducer I dont have double chins?? I used to use this daily just to keep my skin tight right there.. but Im thinking just healthy lifestyles will be enough for me.
    face spray I have one I like and this one didnt have as great of a scent
    hair serum I never do my hair here.
    travel shampoo
    face lotion pore minimizer
    sebo control essence Some expensive thing that was suppose to help with acne prone skin. the only thing that has helped me at all is powdering my face daily.
    hair creme
    axe hair wash 2-1. Im in love with Davines products so ill keep using them.
    2 toothbrushes One was a broken electronic one that made me too lazy to use my other electronic one, and one was just an extra
    Curve Crush gift set. Got it for christmas, I am IN LOVE with the scent... but I have the perfume. So if I want to smell like it, I can just use the perfume. No need to have a deodorant and a body wash I never think of grabbing to use even when I do want it.
    deodorant Already have a brand I like.
    shaving cream packets Lol
    veet razor I dont have any veet here.. so meh.
    wet/dry razor I love this thing, but I blew out the charger when I first got here. with just as many other ways to shave, there was no need to keep it.
    trimmer Ordered a new one, threw the broken one away.
    disposable razor
    acne face lotion
    sunscreen
    moisturizer
    body lotion
    healing lotion
    hair pins
    pocket mirror

Phew! All that junk just sitting there being unused is now gone Gave it all away to people who would use it and now my shelves look great, my drawer is functional, and my two packs have everything I need.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Week 2: Entertainment items.

This covers a wide range of easily identified items that are probably scattered throughout the home.. So a step up from toiletries.. this is where the practice of putting them all in a similar area makes sense. You can see how much you have, instead of the compartments of different areas.

So what covers entertainment? Books, magazines, loose articles and newspapers, movies and CDs, game boards, cards, electronics that serve no business or school-related purpose, toys (im still a kid at heart.. thus I still own them), and just about anything you use to pass time.

Same three basic steps will be taken.. Gather, sort, and then re-organize.

I think here though, since nothing really expires, the way to think about it should be different.

- Do I use this? If you loved the movie "A night at the roxbury" so much you bought it, and now you've seen it so many times because you're the only person that owns it you're sick of it.. it probably isn't giving you the entertainment it once did.

- Can I turn this into a digital own? If you have a digital copy of a movie you bought, or you watch movies mainly from netflix and such.. is it something easily rented through amazon or another internet service you already use? I'd argue hard-to-find movies should be kept.. and lesser known movies as well. But popular movies and blockbuster hits aren't going anywhere, they're easy to find or borrow. Music is probably the biggest part of this.. do you REALLY need a hundred Billy Idol CD's? Or can you make digital copies on your computer, back it up, and then burn custom CDs to listen to in your car?

- Can I sell this? The reason this should be asked is... if you never plan on selling The Last Unicorn, you can always get rid of the box and put the DVDs and CDs in a protective book. One book will hold a ton of CDs, they're cheap, and they take up way less space. And if you keep it near your DVD player, you may actually put a movie back where it goes instead of leaving it face up for a month. If you ARE going to sell it though, I'd argue to keep the box and just get down to it. Plenty of game shops that aren't Game Stop still offer DVDs so getting rid of it that way works well enough.

Books... God, if I pack rat nothing else.. I keep books as if I'll forget how to read if I don't.

I've gotten a LOT better. Reference-based books are so much easier to keep in person, but entertainment books? I've gotten better at buying them via the Kindle, where I can own a ton of books in one space. I still can't help buying books at Half Price that are cheaper there than full price on Amazon though.. I also have a problem of stock-piling books that I WANT to read, but never get around to doing so. While I don't think I'll ever be a minimalist when it comes to books, I CAN work on it by simply picking out a book a week, evaluating it, and deciding to either buy it on the Kindle or get rid of it. Operation Paperback is a great way to get rid of books you don't plan on reading, as well as libraries and donation bins that accept books. You CAN sell them at Half Price too, especially classic and newly-famed books.

As far as articles, magazines, papers, etc. I'd recommend plucking out the information you want and doing one of two things.
    1. Spend a day creating an article binder. If you collect work outs from magazines, collecting them in sleeve protectors means you might actually use them and you can get rid of the rest of the magazine.
    2. Scanning them. If you wanted to read an article, scan it and save it for later.

A friend of mine also tends to rip articles out and stick them right in her purse, so when she's waiting in line somewhere she can just whip it out and start reading to pass the time. Either way, the point is you don't need 10 issues of Men's Health. Magazines are almost all digital as well now, so you can view them online or on whatever portable device you own. The more digital the better, as it's sort of like a loophole to being a minimalist. At least I think it is anyways.

As far as electronics.. If you haven't touched it in 6 months, chances are you don't need it. I was dreading this part, since my favorite MP3 player's internal battery is giving out.. while I want a new one badly, they're difficult to find, and the truth is that the cheap work out MP3 I have is good enough.. so I'll have to say goodbye to it when the time comes. But maybe it'll motivate me to get a new one.. We'll see.

Toys.. this is a hard issue. Sometimes they're sentimental, or collectible, or this or that. The general rule of thumb is.. if it is sentimental, donate it.. that way you don't feel like it's going to waste. If it's irreplaceable and still gives you joy, keep it. If it was a kazoo from that bachelorette party you went to a year ago, toss it. If it's collectible, see if you can't sell it.

Collections are a hard category.. But I think the purpose is to find matching sets of pieces that make you happy. If you can't display them because they're difficult to clean and there's a hundred of them, it isn't much worth it now is it? A collection can be small and efficient too.. so pick out your favorites, show them off the way they were meant to be shown, and get rid of the rest either selling or donating.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I'm so IN. Late, but in.

Moved recently from a 3 bedroom, each with built in's, double bathroom, two-story town house, to a one bedroom unit where my bathroom is also my laundry. I culled heaps before I moved but it's insane, I need to severely minimise. But I need some motivation, which is where I'm feeling nothing but love for your thread!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Just went through the electronics and stuff myself. I got all my DVDs that I want to keep in binders, except for a couple of boxed sets and have the rest ready to donate. I've gone electronic with books, so most of the paper media have are technical and reference stuff and some architecture magazines that I want to keep. As far as toys go, I've got 3 vintage tabletop arcade games. They're decoration and my kids like 'em, so they're staying.

And as far as electronics.. eh, I'm using everything I have. I've got this electronics mad lab thing going on in my kitchen/workshop. I constantly rotate through stuff.

@kyuuei I remember watching a show on collecting, and I heard it was recommended to always trade up to quality. So.. for instance, you could sell off a lot of your fantasy swords and get a serious cool museum replica. Or there are some and very beautiful weapons out there, like hand made knives with Damascus blades.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Just went through the electronics and stuff myself. I got all my DVDs that I want to keep in binders, except for a couple of boxed sets and have the rest ready to donate. I've gone electronic with books, so most of the paper media have are technical and reference stuff and some architecture magazines that I want to keep. As far as toys go, I've got 3 vintage tabletop arcade games. They're decoration and my kids like 'em, so they're staying.

And as far as electronics.. eh, I'm using everything I have. I've got this electronics mad lab thing going on in my kitchen/workshop. I constantly rotate through stuff.

@kyuuei I remember watching a show on collecting, and I heard it was recommended to always trade up to quality. So.. for instance, you could sell off a lot of your fantasy swords and get a serious cool museum replica. Or there are some and very beautiful weapons out there, like hand made knives with Damascus blades.
    My gift to myself is the entire Game of Thrones official collection of swords to be precise. All my old blades are being tossed out to make room for them. After that, I want to have a genuine handmade set of Japanese blades--a small dagger, a short sword, and a katana. A kukri would round out my collection, and a mace to give some visual interest, and I am DONE with swords! They'll all be proudly on display in my study. I have a lot of old fantasy swords made for costumes and LARPing and the like that I intend to sell to make the money for these projects, and the truth is they gave me a lot of joy as a kid.. but I'm no longer a kid, and I can own real pointy things now

It's a super good way to put though.. trading up to quality. I thought of a teacher when I read that, who said she used to collect owls and then stopped telling people that, because all they did for years was buy her owls.. she had so many she didnt know what to do with them all, and it really put a damper on collecting them herself.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

My son broke his foot on Wed. so I have been dealing with him ever since. I can post a pic of said linen closet and what I did to corral the potential mess.

I found a great deal on baskets at a local hardware store. One large chest with 13 smaller baskets for $50.

Those became this..

I didn't have time to go through all of them but, it's an easy and attractive way to keep everything organized and the handles make the baskets easy to take in and out, especially the ones holding towels.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    I'm so IN. Late, but in.

Moved recently from a 3 bedroom, each with built in's, double bathroom, two-story town house, to a one bedroom unit where my bathroom is also my laundry. I culled heaps before I moved but it's insane, I need to severely minimise. But I need some motivation, which is where I'm feeling nothing but love for your thread!
    Im so glad! Yeah, you can jump in at any time, it is by a weekly basis (hint: those weeks don't have dates ) but this is an at-your-own-pace thing for sure. Welcome! Now get in that bathroom and start cleaning!

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    My son broke his foot on Wed. so I have been dealing with him ever since. I can post a pic of said linen closet and what I did to corral the potential mess.

I found a great deal on baskets at a local hardware store. One large chest with 13 smaller baskets for $50.

CUTE PICS!!

I didn't have time to go through all of them but, it's an easy and attractive way to keep everything organized and the handles make the baskets easy to take in and out, especially the ones holding towels.
    I love it!! A great deal on those too! In the book I'm currently on it talks about cleaning your clutter, finding places for it, and only then getting organizers together for those items. The baskets are super attractive.

I went through my entertainment items and electronics today. I had to get rid of my favorite MP3 player, as I told myself I would.. I believe I will order another one (if I can find one!) before the deployment is over, but until now this one and my kindle will suffice just fine. I now have an empty drawer, which makes two empty drawers! I also tossed out some books I knew I'd never catch up to with the amount of reading I have to do here. I got rid of some electronics (I kept a few that I never intend on using only because I plan on selling them to the next girl that moves in here when I leave.) and I also took some time to clear out some medicines that expired that I neglected during the toiletry day.

I have no pics to post, only because my electronics are scattered mostly and I didn't toss too much stuff out--just enough to get done what I needed to get done.

Also, happy to report that my toiletries are working for me now! I'm not carrying a hundred things to the showers every morning and evening, and I can zip through my morning routine much easier now. So happy I started with that step!