• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Minimalist Challenge

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I won't be readily available for the next month soon enough, so I'm writing things out in advance, so that people can work on it at will. I'll of course need to complete the goals long before I leave, but this process is already shortened since the items I own are just deployment items. So I'll write a summary post in the OP, and write out the tips and goals for rest of April and the month of May. I'll post my weekly goals during the days I do them, one a day for me instead of one a week. :laugh:

G

Ginkgo

Keep consolidating everything until you know you have what you need, without sacrificing anything you truly do use.

tumblr_ly7wkjWy201r6mr02o1_500.gif

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Alright!! Week one I am working on tomorrow, as I said, but I wanted to post this really quick.

Evaluate your goals:

Be sure to know that this program is NOT focused. Any effort is better than no effort, and the goals for everyone will be different. It really is just about identifying what you need, and what you really desire, and getting rid of the clutter that masks itself as the former items. Maybe you're really on top of organizing paperwork, but you have so many clothes your closet's hanging rack is drooping from the weight. Maybe you don't want to be a minimalist, which is cool, but minimalists are the Kings of Clean, so if you're just looking for a sort of late spring cleaning to shake up your year this would also suffice.

Answering these questions may help:

1. What is your goal in this? Your motivator can be as simple as what Qlip said, trying to have an open window, or more space, or maybe to become more frugal by developing a minimalist mentality.. or maybe you simply want to renew your stuff, and you're worried the old stuff will get in the way of making a change (like going to all-natural products, or updating your wardrobe) somewhere along the way. My goal is to have things super easy to clean, and to have a place for everything so that I stop losing items and procrastinating on cleaning. Saving time, essentially.

2. What am I weakest in? Maybe it isn't that you pack-rat everything. Seldomly people are total pack-rats.. maybe you don't use up everything before you purchase something new and more exciting. Or maybe you procrastinate. Maybe you need a fresher, new way of thinking (like when you keep buying things because they're on sale, instead of evaluating what you need out of an object and just getting the thing that works for you.. saving money in the long run instead of the short haul) before you buy something. Maybe you assign value to objects.. instead of assigning value to what they do. The book itself is not the valuable part, the information inside is what you want.. Find out if you can consolidate, and replace things by reassigning value.

3. Do I need this? Seems like a simple question, but we justify it all the time. "Well, sometimes I wear it whenever i'm going out.." I bought a dress for $3 one time, and I couldn't believe what a deal it was!! And yes, I wow'd everyone when I finally wore it... 3 years later. I spent time moving it around, working around it, hanging it up, washing it every-so-often to keep it fresh, and all for a few wows? It seems silly now.. "I'll buy this for the next time I have an occasion, and then it'll be already available!" It seems to make sense, but its just justification to have something you don't need. Chances are you probably already have things that serve you, and if you don't your money should go towards that.

4. What's the best way to get rid of things? If you assign value to things like clothing you were fond of when you bought it but now they don't fit, or DVD's you never watch.. just giving it away may not make you feel so great. Donating it may make you feel better.. re-selling it to buy a goal you've been working towards could transform things you don't truly need into something you do. Or maybe simply throwing it away because you know you'll never get rid of it if it doesn't leave your hands that day that instant will suffice. Whatever you do, make sure you feel good about pushing the items out of your life.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My before picture. I literally have everything out except for the things I used that morning since I know they are essential to my morning routine.

100_0103.jpg

After.

100_0104.jpg

The list of everything I got rid of:

An economy sized thing of baby powder that'll never fit
Foot soak tub. Originally I wanted to keep my feet girly and cute, but that'll never happen with desert survival school, so this is no use now.
plain baby wipes
astringent that's a brand I dont really like
3 body washes. I like them, but just had way too much soap
2 foaming facial cleansers that were a brand I didn't like as much as my current
foot mask for the same reasons.
face lotion it made my skin oily even though it was expensive
night lotion Too lazy to ever use it.
eye gel Same.
foot soak solution Same.
sunscreen Just had too much
double chin reducer I dont have double chins?? I used to use this daily just to keep my skin tight right there.. but Im thinking just healthy lifestyles will be enough for me.
face spray I have one I like and this one didnt have as great of a scent
hair serum I never do my hair here.
travel shampoo
face lotion pore minimizer
sebo control essence Some expensive thing that was suppose to help with acne prone skin. the only thing that has helped me at all is powdering my face daily.
hair creme
axe hair wash 2-1. Im in love with Davines products so ill keep using them.
2 toothbrushes One was a broken electronic one that made me too lazy to use my other electronic one, and one was just an extra
Curve Crush gift set. Got it for christmas, I am IN LOVE with the scent... but I have the perfume. So if I want to smell like it, I can just use the perfume. No need to have a deodorant and a body wash I never think of grabbing to use even when I do want it.
deodorant Already have a brand I like.
shaving cream packets Lol
veet razor I dont have any veet here.. so meh.
wet/dry razor I love this thing, but I blew out the charger when I first got here. with just as many other ways to shave, there was no need to keep it.
trimmer Ordered a new one, threw the broken one away.
disposable razor
acne face lotion
sunscreen
moisturizer
body lotion
healing lotion
hair pins
pocket mirror

Phew! All that junk just sitting there being unused is now gone :D Gave it all away to people who would use it and now my shelves look great, my drawer is functional, and my two packs have everything I need.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Week 2: Entertainment items.

This covers a wide range of easily identified items that are probably scattered throughout the home.. So a step up from toiletries.. this is where the practice of putting them all in a similar area makes sense. You can see how much you have, instead of the compartments of different areas.

So what covers entertainment? Books, magazines, loose articles and newspapers, movies and CDs, game boards, cards, electronics that serve no business or school-related purpose, toys (im still a kid at heart.. thus I still own them), and just about anything you use to pass time.

Same three basic steps will be taken.. Gather, sort, and then re-organize.

I think here though, since nothing really expires, the way to think about it should be different.

- Do I use this? If you loved the movie "A night at the roxbury" so much you bought it, and now you've seen it so many times because you're the only person that owns it you're sick of it.. it probably isn't giving you the entertainment it once did.

- Can I turn this into a digital own? If you have a digital copy of a movie you bought, or you watch movies mainly from netflix and such.. is it something easily rented through amazon or another internet service you already use? I'd argue hard-to-find movies should be kept.. and lesser known movies as well. But popular movies and blockbuster hits aren't going anywhere, they're easy to find or borrow. Music is probably the biggest part of this.. do you REALLY need a hundred Billy Idol CD's? Or can you make digital copies on your computer, back it up, and then burn custom CDs to listen to in your car?

- Can I sell this? The reason this should be asked is... if you never plan on selling The Last Unicorn, you can always get rid of the box and put the DVDs and CDs in a protective book. One book will hold a ton of CDs, they're cheap, and they take up way less space. And if you keep it near your DVD player, you may actually put a movie back where it goes instead of leaving it face up for a month. :laugh: If you ARE going to sell it though, I'd argue to keep the box and just get down to it. Plenty of game shops that aren't Game Stop still offer DVDs so getting rid of it that way works well enough.

Books... God, if I pack rat nothing else.. I keep books as if I'll forget how to read if I don't.

I've gotten a LOT better. Reference-based books are so much easier to keep in person, but entertainment books? I've gotten better at buying them via the Kindle, where I can own a ton of books in one space. I still can't help buying books at Half Price that are cheaper there than full price on Amazon though.. I also have a problem of stock-piling books that I WANT to read, but never get around to doing so. While I don't think I'll ever be a minimalist when it comes to books, I CAN work on it by simply picking out a book a week, evaluating it, and deciding to either buy it on the Kindle or get rid of it. Operation Paperback is a great way to get rid of books you don't plan on reading, as well as libraries and donation bins that accept books. You CAN sell them at Half Price too, especially classic and newly-famed books.

As far as articles, magazines, papers, etc. I'd recommend plucking out the information you want and doing one of two things.
1. Spend a day creating an article binder. If you collect work outs from magazines, collecting them in sleeve protectors means you might actually use them and you can get rid of the rest of the magazine.
2. Scanning them. If you wanted to read an article, scan it and save it for later.

A friend of mine also tends to rip articles out and stick them right in her purse, so when she's waiting in line somewhere she can just whip it out and start reading to pass the time. Either way, the point is you don't need 10 issues of Men's Health. Magazines are almost all digital as well now, so you can view them online or on whatever portable device you own. The more digital the better, as it's sort of like a loophole to being a minimalist. :D At least I think it is anyways. :laugh:

As far as electronics.. If you haven't touched it in 6 months, chances are you don't need it. I was dreading this part, since my favorite MP3 player's internal battery is giving out.. while I want a new one badly, they're difficult to find, and the truth is that the cheap work out MP3 I have is good enough.. :cry: so I'll have to say goodbye to it when the time comes. :( But maybe it'll motivate me to get a new one.. We'll see. :laugh:

Toys.. this is a hard issue. Sometimes they're sentimental, or collectible, or this or that. The general rule of thumb is.. if it is sentimental, donate it.. that way you don't feel like it's going to waste. If it's irreplaceable and still gives you joy, keep it. If it was a kazoo from that bachelorette party you went to a year ago, toss it. If it's collectible, see if you can't sell it.

Collections are a hard category.. But I think the purpose is to find matching sets of pieces that make you happy. If you can't display them because they're difficult to clean and there's a hundred of them, it isn't much worth it now is it? A collection can be small and efficient too.. so pick out your favorites, show them off the way they were meant to be shown, and get rid of the rest either selling or donating.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm so IN. Late, but in.

Moved recently from a 3 bedroom, each with built in's, double bathroom, two-story town house, to a one bedroom unit where my bathroom is also my laundry. I culled heaps before I moved but it's insane, I need to severely minimise. But I need some motivation, which is where I'm feeling nothing but love for your thread!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just went through the electronics and stuff myself. I got all my DVDs that I want to keep in binders, except for a couple of boxed sets and have the rest ready to donate. I've gone electronic with books, so most of the paper media have are technical and reference stuff and some architecture magazines that I want to keep. As far as toys go, I've got 3 vintage tabletop arcade games. They're decoration and my kids like 'em, so they're staying.

And as far as electronics.. eh, I'm using everything I have. ;) I've got this electronics mad lab thing going on in my kitchen/workshop. I constantly rotate through stuff.

[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] I remember watching a show on collecting, and I heard it was recommended to always trade up to quality. So.. for instance, you could sell off a lot of your fantasy swords and get a serious cool museum replica. Or there are some and very beautiful weapons out there, like hand made knives with Damascus blades.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Just went through the electronics and stuff myself. I got all my DVDs that I want to keep in binders, except for a couple of boxed sets and have the rest ready to donate. I've gone electronic with books, so most of the paper media have are technical and reference stuff and some architecture magazines that I want to keep. As far as toys go, I've got 3 vintage tabletop arcade games. They're decoration and my kids like 'em, so they're staying.

And as far as electronics.. eh, I'm using everything I have. ;) I've got this electronics mad lab thing going on in my kitchen/workshop. I constantly rotate through stuff.

[MENTION=4939]kyuuei[/MENTION] I remember watching a show on collecting, and I heard it was recommended to always trade up to quality. So.. for instance, you could sell off a lot of your fantasy swords and get a serious cool museum replica. Or there are some and very beautiful weapons out there, like hand made knives with Damascus blades.

My gift to myself is the entire Game of Thrones official collection of swords to be precise. All my old blades are being tossed out to make room for them. After that, I want to have a genuine handmade set of Japanese blades--a small dagger, a short sword, and a katana. A kukri would round out my collection, and a mace to give some visual interest, and I am DONE with swords! They'll all be proudly on display in my study. I have a lot of old fantasy swords made for costumes and LARPing and the like that I intend to sell to make the money for these projects, and the truth is they gave me a lot of joy as a kid.. but I'm no longer a kid, and I can own real pointy things now ;)

It's a super good way to put though.. trading up to quality. I thought of a teacher when I read that, who said she used to collect owls and then stopped telling people that, because all they did for years was buy her owls.. she had so many she didnt know what to do with them all, and it really put a damper on collecting them herself.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My son broke his foot on Wed. so I have been dealing with him ever since. I can post a pic of said linen closet and what I did to corral the potential mess.

I found a great deal on baskets at a local hardware store. One large chest with 13 smaller baskets for $50.

IMG_071000.jpg

Those became this..

linencloset.jpg

I didn't have time to go through all of them but, it's an easy and attractive way to keep everything organized and the handles make the baskets easy to take in and out, especially the ones holding towels.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm so IN. Late, but in.

Moved recently from a 3 bedroom, each with built in's, double bathroom, two-story town house, to a one bedroom unit where my bathroom is also my laundry. I culled heaps before I moved but it's insane, I need to severely minimise. But I need some motivation, which is where I'm feeling nothing but love for your thread!

:laugh: Im so glad! Yeah, you can jump in at any time, it is by a weekly basis (hint: those weeks don't have dates ;) ) but this is an at-your-own-pace thing for sure. :static: Welcome! Now get in that bathroom and start cleaning! :threaten:

My son broke his foot on Wed. so I have been dealing with him ever since. I can post a pic of said linen closet and what I did to corral the potential mess.

I found a great deal on baskets at a local hardware store. One large chest with 13 smaller baskets for $50.

CUTE PICS!!

I didn't have time to go through all of them but, it's an easy and attractive way to keep everything organized and the handles make the baskets easy to take in and out, especially the ones holding towels.

:wubbie: I love it!! A great deal on those too! In the book I'm currently on it talks about cleaning your clutter, finding places for it, and only then getting organizers together for those items. The baskets are super attractive. :heart:

I went through my entertainment items and electronics today. :cry: I had to get rid of my favorite MP3 player, as I told myself I would.. I believe I will order another one (if I can find one!) before the deployment is over, but until now this one and my kindle will suffice just fine. I now have an empty drawer, which makes two empty drawers! I also tossed out some books I knew I'd never catch up to with the amount of reading I have to do here. I got rid of some electronics (I kept a few that I never intend on using only because I plan on selling them to the next girl that moves in here when I leave.) and I also took some time to clear out some medicines that expired that I neglected during the toiletry day.

I have no pics to post, only because my electronics are scattered mostly and I didn't toss too much stuff out--just enough to get done what I needed to get done.

Also, happy to report that my toiletries are working for me now! I'm not carrying a hundred things to the showers every morning and evening, and I can zip through my morning routine much easier now. So happy I started with that step!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Week 3: Storage.

... This is the big one here. A few victories from the bathroom and your entertainment selection will hopefully ramp you up for this--but depending on how much stuff you have this could take a while and become a rather big project.

So what counts as storage? Mostly the places you store junk and stuff. The pantry, while storage.. is mostly food storage, which is rather easy to go through since it is all the same category (and we have a food/catch-all week already.).. And junk drawers and smaller high-traffic areas are also not really storage, as they're small enough to be dumped out and sorted (plus, we have a week for those too!)

It's such a broad term, but I'm saying that it is the stuff that is not in your daily or even weekly life.. So I'm more looking at the bins in the closet hiding things, the book shelves that actually have boxes of stuff instead of books, the tupperware storage containers you leave in the garage, etc.

So.. If you keep storage items and containers in your house. Take them from all the sections of your house and gather them in one place. Camping gear, scrap-booking items, that bin full of jewelry from that time you thought you were going to start making your own, that stack of newspapers you think is worth something in 50 years, the 10 boxes of Christmas ornaments, collections you collected but never put on display, that nice china set your mother gave you for your wedding.. All that STUFF. Valuable or not, it's all scattered throughout the house and it needs to be looked at for what it is--storage stuff.

It's the stuff you don't use all the time, but you keep. This stuff is the stuff minimalists tend to get rid of first.. but to me, this is the stuff that is hardest to get rid of!! There are a lot of what if questions and a lot of miscellaneous things that get in the way.

1. So, separate it into categories that semi make sense.
- Hobbies
- Collections and collectibles
- Holiday decorations, etc.

DO NOT have a miscellaneous pile! All of this stuff is already miscellaneous. If you cannot identify a purpose for the item, you probably shouldn't be keeping it in the first place!

Collections count as items of entertainment.. If you cannot see them or display them, what good are they to collect and have in your life? So evaluate, and like Qlip said, trade up to quality. If it is the concept you like, but the items are not really what you wanted, you CAN sell them off and use that money to get what you really did desire and would display. If they're presents from others.. Hey. Donating, re-gifting, etc. are all good ways to put those things to great use.
(I did a project as a kid when picture frames were popular to give out.. I took the frames, glued the glass to them, and made boxes out of them. They were really nice looking and my friends liked them and never realized they were the frames they'd given me collected and redesigned and painted.)

Holiday decorations.. this one is hard. If you have a box of the ones you used last year, and never touched the others.. I'd say that is a REALLY easy way of you telling yourself that those are the only decorations you will bother putting up. My family has a TON, but we only end up getting enough time to string up lights and put up a few lawn decorations. So why do they keep the rest? I don't know, but I'm throwing it all out once I get home! :laugh: All I can say with decorations is, if they don't store easily and keep well and they aren't easy to string up and have (like that wreath we have that plays christmas songs but we have to fix it EVERY year..... :dont:) then they really aren't worth keeping around. Decorating should be a fun time. Even if you go crazy with decorating, that's cool, just make sure you use everything every time. (I heard of neighbors with themes to their christmas decorations swapping ornaments to change it up instead of buying all new ones. I thought that was an awesome idea.)

Hobbies... If they're indoor hobbies and projects, and you have a work space set aside for them, great. But that scrap booking stuff you bought to organize all your photos with, and then you realized digital photos are so much easier so you digitize your old photos instead? I'd repurpose what I could (Making some cards for birthdays and christmas, etc.) and then sell or donate the rest. Outdoor projects and hobbies, if you aren't active with them or don't have set dates for things, they aren't really worth keeping. I know I go snowboarding every year, so my gear is essential. ... but camping? I never really do that, so why do I have a sleeping bag? :shrug: Things like this you'll just have to evaluate. Part of taking the time to drag all your storage stuff out into the middle is seeing if you REALLY want to drag it back. If even carrying it back to be stored and maintained again sounds like a chore, it probably isn't something you should keep. That skateboard you got thinking you'd relive your childhood and never touched after could be better used by a kid next door.

Really, it is all about just seeing what you need. Taking a fresh look at things when they aren't urgent. Nothing for christmas looks important in April/may time frame :D So it's perfect to clean it out now.

I think the biggest thing is to just simply look at time frames. In the past two years, Did you REALLY use this? If it's newer than two years, have you even touched it since buying it or acquiring it? Beach stuff seems cool in May, since summer is coming.. but are you really going to the beach? Or did you buy it thinking you would, the plan fell through, and now there it all sits a year later..

Here on my deployment, I only have two really big bags of army gear to sift through, which seems daunting in and of itself.. so I know what ya'll will go through with storage stuff! It'll be a big undertaking for me when I get home as well.. that's all I have is useless storage stuff :laugh:!

Good luck on it, and please remember to post any results, feelings, or discoveries ya'll had!

P.S. I chose this one for week three because.. With a few victories, you get into the swing of things and feel like this CAN be done. But those two weeks could also easily be done within a day's time if desired. This one will make you manage your time, and do the project in a way where you won't burn out. If you can get through this week and see the results and feel motivated to go on, you'll be golden for the rest of the weeks!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Started my storage today! I'll post pictures of all the stuff I have.. it's all army gear, boring and plentiful. Lots of "Keep this just in case--even though you know you won't use it at all ever." But even so, I have a whole pile of things I can send home because I won't need them the rest of the deployment. :) I'll take pictures tonight when I get back.

Also, just doing some side calculations. I was reading a website about replacing many of your disposable items with reusable ones. I think those things inflate the savings a lot, but quick calculations on my end on a few basic items: feminine products, napkins, paper towels, tissues. So far, I calculated out $710 for 5 years of disposables, and $424 for 5 years of reusable items (including laundry costs). You're only saving $60 a year, which is still pretty decent overall considering the savings will be $600 the next 5 years, but it's a heck of a lot less waste in landfills and such, as well as never worrying about running out of those items again either. The only con is more laundry, and a good washer and dryer makes that a breeze as well.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i'm still in, i'm actually in the middle of moving now,
so it's been great to have a few guidelines on what
i'll take with me. i'm spending more time on what to
pack and what to leave behind. i'm hoping to just go
to my new place with the essentials. oh clutter free
haven.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
i'm still in, i'm actually in the middle of moving now,
so it's been great to have a few guidelines on what
i'll take with me. i'm spending more time on what to
pack and what to leave behind. i'm hoping to just go
to my new place with the essentials. oh clutter free
haven.

:blush: Im glad the tips are helping a bit! Glad to hear it :) moving is probably the best time to declutter--less to move and sets the new place up for success.

I really like this idea, Mon. I'm moving in July/August (destination TBA) and I'd like to get a lot of streamlining done before I go. I don't have time to think about it right now with finals round the corner, but I'll be back with more specific goals and the like.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh my gosh! I am so giving this a go! I wish I would have stumbled across this earlier. Week 1 should make me super happy... I have way too much random toiletries laying around the bathroom that have NEVER even been touched! I shall return to this thread next week with pictures (hopefully!).

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:D :static: Yes! Minimalism army is being summoned bit by bit! :evilgenius:

G

garbage

Postin' in this thread to keep me accountable. I like streamlining, especially transitioning stuff to digital formats. Nice, neat, and compact.

My mom tends to stockpile for rainy days; I prefer not having a bunch of useless stuff around. So, I give all of my useless stuff to her to either keep or donate :)

I don't have any specific goals at the moment, but I get in "scorched earth" modes where I put a bunch of things in bags to give to her.

MBTI Type
ISTP
I already remissed on the repacking of my tools/clothes (which is pretty much everything I own) so I'm going to plan more here and attack this tomorrow

Bin 1
-Street clothes, folded carefully

Bin 2
-More street clothes, folded

Bin 3
-Any remaining street clothes, folded

Bin 4
-Mountain outerwear

HPRC Case 1-3
-Mountain tools, organized by size & sharpness

HPRC Case 4
-NBC suit and mask

HPRC Case 5 (small)
-Essential tools & favorites

Boxes (triple taped on the bottom)
-Books

Toolbox
-Reorganize for better accessibility
-Carve socket and bit organizer out of particle board

Gonna feel great to get everything organized. :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I'm LOVING the motivation here! :heart: :drool: I finished a short book about the philosophy of minimalism seeping into other aspects of life--like health, and social interaction, environmental affairs, etc. It made me want to race home and clean up everything! Buuut since I can't, I'll just write up week 4's assignment.

Week 4: Clothes.

This is a really hard assignment, especially for someone like me who costumes and loves to dress in wacky things on odd occasional events and keeps them all year just in case of said events. But even I can create a more streamlined wardrobe that works for me.

This is also hard to write about because everyone has different needs when it comes to clothing. Minimalist books write about three main concepts:

- Picking base colors and accent colors (3-5 colors in the entire wardrobe)
- Picking classic styles that never really go out of fashion or season
- Picking high quality clothing that fits you well

Choosing colors you know you like to wear, and clothing you know fits your body type well that won't be out of fashion next month (like those odd stretchy shirts that looked like a science-k'nex ball? Anyone remember those?) are principles we can all keep in mind when we're going through our wardrobe.

Now there are websites all over the place that will give you 10-piece, 20-piece, 30-piece, etc. wardrobes where you strictly follow these essentials and you'll have a functioning minimalist closet. But that's not really what YOU need. I think closets need to function around your life, and 30 pieces of clothing just won't cut it for me!

The principles I am using are just for me, but the concepts in the numbers are the same. If you're a fashionista, you may want to change "what I need clothes for" to "Types of clothes I need".. Like skirts, dresses, slacks, capris, etc.

So, here's the principles I am following:

1. Take a quick rummage through the closet and toss out anything that you haven't even touched in the last couple years. If something still has a tag on it from a year ago, or if it's stained but you couldn't stand to toss it out then, do it now. Also, take the time to pull clothing from storage areas like those space-saving bags and under-the-bed-tupperwares so you can see EVERYTHING in one spot.

2. Write down everything I need clothing for.
- Write down my weekly activities. Working out, yard work, work clothes, sleeping clothes.
- Write down my seasonal activities. Swimming, winter seasonal clothes, snowboarding, playing sports, gardening.
- Write down my yearly events. Formal dinners, costuming, st. patty's day, etc. anything that I go out of my way to dress up for.
I quickly flip through my wardrobe then, and if clothing doesn't really match up any of these things that I wrote down.. either I need to remember to write it down, or get rid of the garment.

3. Combine those categories into sections that function.
- For me, that's: Physical work in the summer, physical work in the winter, seasonal clothes, everyday wear, formal wear, yearly events, accessories, shoes, small clothes, army clothes, and work clothes.

4. Separate clothes into these piles. An article MUST fit into a pile. While we're not quiiite narrowing clothing down yet, take a small look at clothing as you pull it out and into those piles. Things you know will never fit again should be tossed out.

5. Create separate spaces for these piles. Creating a place for a section is the best way to keep it all together. A small set of drawers for work-out clothes, for example, means not having to rummage through those old t-shirts in the catch-all "t-shirts" drawer to find the ones you like to wear after the work out. This also means that you'll have a guaranteed place for everything you own, and shows you just how limited space really can be. If you can only put "accessories" in a small drawer now instead of strung about the whole room, then you'll need to toss out some of the scarves you never wore anyways.

- For me, I have work shirts and play shirts.. (work shirts being used for painting, exercise, and anything that'll make me sweat or ruin an article. T-shirts I like more go into the play drawer, and I wear them when I'm just out and about doing my thing.) ..Shorts and pants, work-out shorts, army-clothes, small clothes, and sleeping wear, all in different drawers. Everything has a drawer so laundry is a snap, and I know just where to find anything I need in a hurry. Seasonal clothing went in a tupperware under my bed, and costumes in another. Easy to find, but out of the way since I don't use them on a weekly basis.

6. Now that you have space, evaluate your piles.
- Can something be used for more than one purpose? (i.e. Do I really need a "painting shirt" when I have plenty of work-out shirts that get grungy and nasty with sweat anyways?)
- Can clothing pull double duty? (Most of my winter pants are thick enough and strong enough for outdoor work, same with the long-sleeve shirts, so I skip the "outdoor work clothes" category altogether, tossed all of those that I was keeping and not really using anyways, and kept a few pairs of my winter clothes out all season instead. Also, this is the category shoes fall under a lot.. A good, nice pair of classic shoes can replace 20 pairs if you coordinate your colors and accessories right.)
- Do you have an overflow of a single category? (If you have 200 t-shirts because you just love the Beatles.. think about maybe taking your band-shirts and repurposing them. There's companies that create quilts out of old t-shirts so you can enjoy the shirts you love without having to wear them. You can also sell a bunch of your gently used clothing to help pay for a pair of slacks that you just now noticed you don't own at all and sort of need.)
- Does the article match anything else in the pile? (If you have a shrug that looks awesome, but is way too fancy to go along with the rest of your work clothing.. or if you have 10 blue-purple-green colored skirts and tops for work, and one blood orange top... you get the idea.)
- Can I get this else where? (If you have plenty of female friends around your size.. do you really need 20 semi-formal cute dresses? Or can you get by with your favorites, and trade and borrow with friends if you have a special event that calls for something new to wear?)
- Can someone else use this more than me? (So, you were a bridesmaid last year, got a spiffy and nice-looking dress.. It fit right, it looks great--and it's WAY too formal for anything you'll ever attend until the next wedding and, hey.. everyone will recognize the dress, so you may not want to wear it. HOWEVER! There are donations for things like girls getting dresses so that they can go to prom wearing something nice that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it.. How much better suited would that dress be being used in that way?)
- Is this something I wear? I know this seems silly to put at the bottom of the list.. but by the time you've asked all of these questions about every pile.. You may get tired, look at a garment, and go "You know what? I don't even like this enough to evaluate it, moreless wear it.. *toss!*" Easy as pie. :D

After all that craziness, just put the things where they go and you're done! If you still find that you're trying to make room for a particular section.. maybe you need to make that section a bigger priority, give it the bigger space, and downsize a different category. If you notice a category is pitifully small (like that your formal wear is non existent and that's why you always get stressed during those sudden formal events), it's probably because you had too much stuff to notice what you needed!

One tip that many books talked about was avoiding BUYING more space. Do not create more space to store your stuff. Chances are, you already have plenty of space.. you just have too much stuff. This is not the same as, say, what [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] did with those baskets. She had a section, just wanted to organize it more. Do not buy more drawers, more closet-extenders, or those hooks that turn one hook into 5. :doh: See what you have, put in place, and THEN see if any gadget would make it easier on you.. Chances are, those diamond separators for the drawers aren't really necessary. They're socks, not gems, they can touch and be sprawled about in a small drawer without bothering anyone. Spending money on making a closet too organized may keep you from keeping it organized too! If I have to roll my underwear up to make it fit into a small slot, I'm never going to do it.. they'll just sit in the laundry hamper until I need them. Throwing them in a drawer and forgetting them, though, I can do.