User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

WhoCares

@kyuuei, I agree that reducing bills is a very good goal to have and I love the tiny house movement, more for its ideals than necessarily what it produces. Although there are some beautiful tiny homes around. I would love to build but sadly need a place to live pronto, so must buy established. But I am hopeful I will find a tiny home on land I want. A lot of the historic buildings in my country are tiny, mainly because they were built in either pioneering or depression era when resources were scarce. All I have to do is find one that hasnt been added onto horrendously to make it bigger. I've been tipped off to a contender coming on the market in a couple of weeks.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

@EJCC That's good advice. I don't think I'm really a collector of "junk." Maybe I'm wrong. I suppose there is a guitar in my room that is warped and I've never really touched it. That could probably go...
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    @EJCC That's good advice. I don't think I'm really a collector of "junk." Maybe I'm wrong. I suppose there is a guitar in my room that is warped and I've never really touched it. That could probably go...
    Thanks? I don't remember posting advice in here. Maybe I did...
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

figsfiggyfigs

I wish i could be a minimalist. Unfortunately, I am both highly materialistic, and highly sentimental; an atrocious combination for a wannabe Minimalist.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I wish i could be a minimalist. Unfortunately, I am both highly materialistic, and highly sentimental; an atrocious combination for a wannabe Minimalist.
    In talking, I realized through Panda food that a lot of my desire to be a minimalist is stemming from being surrounded by stuff my whole life--my whole life has been constantly dusting things that aren't mine, and organizing/sorting through/caring for things that are not mine. My father and mother cling to objects for happiness, and they aren't really so happy.

.. Yet, I still grew up in a highly sentimental household full of possessions.. and I of course carry that with me. I like having books at my disposal, I enjoyed having movies available when the hurricane hit even though I'd never watch them normally.. These sort of things genuinely do make me happy, and I don't know if I'd be fully happy living in two bags as many people do (though I would highly enjoy it if I knew I could go home to my stuff..) so I've been striking a balance. Finding out what I really enjoy/love vs what I just have to have.. and trying to travel lighter and lighter.

It's been a work in progress--I started this thread long ago, and I'm no where near a minimalist for sure. But, the slower the process, the easier it is. It's a passive activity for me, with a bit of active effort. I got rid of a whole bag of clothes that, although I liked them.. I didn't really love them. They didn't strike me, they weren't amazing or incredible. I got them because I needed x dress for y activity, and it fit the bill at the time as cheaply (and/or freely) as possible. Then they just sat in my wardrobe. They weren't bad dresses and they looked good on me. But that's not really enough anymore.

I just want to surround myself with the things I truly do love--and I want to figure out what those things are.. and that really is hard to do if you keep everything around regardless of their level of involvement in your life--I clearly value my grappling hook more than I value my old Charizzard pokemon plushie.. yet they sit at the very same level on my shelf, as if there is no difference between the two. I had, in plain view, 4 pieces of artwork that I cared very little for actually.. but I didn't notice that until I replaced it with a piece I cared very much for and admired from a distance over a number of years. I don't miss the old pieces at all... but I would have never known that if I hadn't changed them out and tried.

I think the active effort, even a small amount of it, is enough.. I keep slowly refining this, and it'll never be perfect or down to a science.. but I envision a bathroom not full of cosmetics but of a few potions on a stand being enough for me, and a perfectly functioning wardrobe with only a few items necessary, and a piece of electronic that replaces massive amounts of stuff. And since I still like that idea more than the idea of having tons of potions at my disposal and tons of single function materials and items, I suppose it's worth it to keep trying.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Trash day is tomorrow, and there is literally an entire curb filled with junk, garbage, and old stuff cleaned out of my parents' garage and back porch.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I got all of my clothing to fit in my closet! Whoo hoo! I don't believe that's ever happened before--and I have huge chunks of my closet completely filled with stuff that isn't clothing, and a wide open space in my closet as well. I still don't have a functioning wardrobe, but it is what it has been most of my life in a more condensed space which is great enough for me right now.

Taking some sewing projects to the sew shop to clear off my vanity tomorrow.. And I'll take the time to clean up some potions in the bathroom. I can get rid of a lot of bottles by just combining alike things into half empty containers.

Also, tomorrow I might get an opportunity to take all the scrap to the metal recycling shop that's in the front yard. Whoo hoo! I have to do some damage control outside to make sure that we continue to have a back porch, but otherwise I think I'm ready to start moving on to the next project--the other side of the garage. *shudder*

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I threw away 6 bottles of lotion today in the bathroom just by combining lotions that I usually end up mixing anyways into one big bottle to use up. I still needed a separate bottle of plain lotion for anti-itching and my scalp (I put lotion in my scalp) but this will be an awesome all over body lotion. Probably.

I'm working on using up extra toiletries.. but even so, I did end up getting a new acne system to try for my face. My face is just so bad, and not getting any better, and it gets worse sometimes. I really need something that keeps my face well enough that I don't poke and prod at it. I'm going to get rid of all the other products I used to use, because they just aren't working clearly.

Also, I took a car load to the scrap metal shop! Yay! Money for junk!

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I threw away 6 bottles of lotion today in the bathroom just by combining lotions that I usually end up mixing anyways into one big bottle to use up. I still needed a separate bottle of plain lotion for anti-itching and my scalp (I put lotion in my scalp) but this will be an awesome all over body lotion. Probably.

I'm working on using up extra toiletries.. but even so, I did end up getting a new acne system to try for my face. My face is just so bad, and not getting any better, and it gets worse sometimes. I really need something that keeps my face well enough that I don't poke and prod at it. I'm going to get rid of all the other products I used to use, because they just aren't working clearly.
    Good ideas; I read this post a week or so ago and it prompted me to clean out some of my drawers in the bathroom and just chuck some things that I will never use again; also, I combined a few bottles.

I've been trying to minimize too. There are a handful of things I don't really need, that are decor, but that I don't absolutely love and don't have an attachment to, so am going to try to sell those. I'll also be trying to sell my really old tv because I use it so rarely these days, and only for dvd's, which I can instead just watch on my computer. Speaking of the dvd's... a month ago I chucked all of the dvd cases, just threw them in the garbage... now have the dvd's in sleeves or stacked. Takes up much less space.

The 'biggest' thing I did in recent months was get rid of all of my music cd's. They'd been in 1.5 large narrow bins under my bed for the past 3 yrs, as I'd ripped them all onto my computer for electronic listening... so, they were just sitting there, though under my bed, still taking up a lot of space when you factor in moving to new places, and so on. So, I went through all of them, one by one, against an online site, shipped the ones that were worth the most, getting a check for $120 in return, then took the rest to a local store in town, got another $55 from about 20 others, then took all of the remaining (which were a lot) to the library, a donation.

And, I had I'll say over a hundred cd's I'd burnt over the years, made mixes myself or other ppl had made mixes for me... put all of those in a bag, along with the jewel cases, and dropped them off at Best Buy because they recycle all of that stuff.

Ended up donating a bunch of books, too, getting rid of 1.5 boxes worth of books - stuff I'd likely not read again, or, would just go to the library if I wanted to. I still have a desk full of books that are personal favorites that I could see myself reading again.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Good ideas; I read this post a week or so ago and it prompted me to clean out some of my drawers in the bathroom and just chuck some things that I will never use again; also, I combined a few bottles.

I've been trying to minimize too. There are a handful of things I don't really need, that are decor, but that I don't absolutely love and don't have an attachment to, so am going to try to sell those. I'll also be trying to sell my really old tv because I use it so rarely these days, and only for dvd's, which I can instead just watch on my computer. Speaking of the dvd's... a month ago I chucked all of the dvd cases, just threw them in the garbage... now have the dvd's in sleeves or stacked. Takes up much less space.

The 'biggest' thing I did in recent months was get rid of all of my music cd's. They'd been in 1.5 large narrow bins under my bed for the past 3 yrs, as I'd ripped them all onto my computer for electronic listening... so, they were just sitting there, though under my bed, still taking up a lot of space when you factor in moving to new places, and so on. So, I went through all of them, one by one, against an online site, shipped the ones that were worth the most, getting a check for $120 in return, then took the rest to a local store in town, got another $55 from about 20 others, then took all of the remaining (which were a lot) to the library, a donation.

And, I had I'll say over a hundred cd's I'd burnt over the years, made mixes myself or other ppl had made mixes for me... put all of those in a bag, along with the jewel cases, and dropped them off at Best Buy because they recycle all of that stuff.

Ended up donating a bunch of books, too, getting rid of 1.5 boxes worth of books - stuff I'd likely not read again, or, would just go to the library if I wanted to. I still have a desk full of books that are personal favorites that I could see myself reading again.
    Love love love this post!!

I'm loving my combined lotion, for what it's worth. It smells great, feels great, and all of the little things I disliked about each bottle in particular seems to be counterbalanced in the others. When it runs out I'll be in the market for travel samples of great lotions until I find a favorite to stick to.. though, I still want to delve into making my own products sometime.

I still have a FEW DVDs that have some value in cases--like my Kaamelott DVDs since they're impossible to get Stateside. I have two black boxes of higher-value DVDs that I might re-sell sometime in the near future, so I kept the cases for them just in case. The rest, I LOVE being in small metal cases. They're easy to access, easy to play, and take up no space at all. I don't know why we don't get the option to buy DVDs without the cases. Minimalist packaging is awesome. My bookcase now fits every book I own, finally--with the ONLY exceptions of my school textbooks, which would take up 2 shelves on their own. Since I use them on a daily basis, they're all chilling out on my desk in horrid-looking stacks of sucky homework to be.

But since you inspired me so much and I'm already doing paperwork, I'm scanning a few documents so they aren't on my desk and can be shredded, and going through some more bathroom stuff to get rid of some items I know no one uses.