User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Moving in a few months will give me a lot of incentive for this. I plan to cut down a LOT - I have way too much of things like food, toiletries, etc that I tend to stock up on sales with, alas.

As sad as I am to move (and dreading the work), I am looking forward to the decluttering aspect.

So I will probably be re-reading this thread (and elsewhere) for tips and so on.
    Good luck with it! If you have even a quarter of the clutter we do, it'll be an adventure for sure.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Oh my god can I just rant for a moment about pillows!

I see this ALL the time and I cannot understand it for the life of me. All of those damn pillows. The decorative ones in all shapes and sizes except for a functional size. On the couch. On the bed. On chairs. They're stiff, hard, full of stuff that makes it useless as a pillow, and there's a hundred hundred of them! I never ever understood why that look is so appealing.

This is one thing I am definitely already a minimalist about at least. I really cannot understand the concept at all. It doesn't even look nice to me--it looks untouchable. Like museum nice. I had a buddy in high school I hung out with all the time, and I remember we avoided his house like the plague because it was TOO Fancy. We were scared (and rightly so) that we'd break anything in there just by looking at it too much. It wasn't welcoming. It was nice looking, sure, but it was so untouchable!!

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Well, they're good for when your furniture is uncomfortable... but if you have comfy furniture, I guess you don't need them that much.

I do love me some comfy decorative pillows, though. I think one or two of those, plus a throw, are very useful in a living room, as well as sprucing the place up a bit. Good for when someone's staying the night and needs to sleep on your couch, too, if you don't have an extra set of sheets. (I know this from experience.)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I had a buddy in high school I hung out with all the time, and I remember we avoided his house like the plague because it was TOO Fancy. We were scared (and rightly so) that we'd break anything in there just by looking at it too much. It wasn't welcoming. It was nice looking, sure, but it was so untouchable!!
    Ugh, I hate that. Homes are supposed to be welcoming.

My aunt's house is so full of antiques that it's practically a museum. It's impossible to tell which furniture is okay to sit on and which furniture isn't. There are big ticking antique clocks in almost every room. I lived with her over a summer and practically cried the first night I spent there; it was impossible to relax.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    Well, they're good for when your furniture is uncomfortable... but if you have comfy furniture, I guess you don't need them that much.
    No no. Not the comfy reading corner stuff. I mean the decorative stuff.

This is a prime example. You can't lay on that! You can't sleep with all of those! Half of them probably have beads and lace on them that'll make imprints on your face!

My aunt's house is so full of antiques that it's practically a museum. It's impossible to tell which furniture is okay to sit on and which furniture isn't. There are big ticking antique clocks in almost every room. I lived with her over a summer and practically cried the first night I spent there; it was impossible to relax.
    Yeah, my aunt is the same way.. so many nice things that she has to have 'not so nice' things.. I don't see why you can't just get a good medium-nice thing. Looks pretty good, feels really good, won't make you cry if it messes up.

Those in the picture are overkill, but I do like a few fluffy colored pillows on the sofa for a nap or for cuddling. And aesthetically too.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

No no. Not the comfy reading corner stuff. I mean the decorative stuff.

This is a prime example. You can't lay on that! You can't sleep with all of those! Half of them probably have beads and lace on them that'll make imprints on your face!

Yeah, my aunt is the same way.. so many nice things that she has to have 'not so nice' things.. I don't see why you can't just get a good medium-nice thing. Looks pretty good, feels really good, won't make you cry if it messes up.
    You will suffocate yourself in your sleep on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Part of being a minimalist is choosing high-quality items and fixing them versus lower quality 'disposable' items. This includes clothing. It used to be, the price you spent on clothes indicated the quality of the fabric and binding. This really isn't the case anymore. My seamstress aunt was fixing my clothing for me in exchange for helping her downsize her plates for the women's shelter and she pointed out several items that she thought were very high quality, and I told her the prices I paid for them and she about had to re-hang her jaw. Anyways, I got all my clothes fixed! Whoo! Pants that ACTUALLY fit and don't drag along the ground, and dresses that I can wear without bras (I really, really don't know why ANY dress would be made without a bra built into it. Srsly.)

I fixed her laptop while I was there. Man that thing was a mess.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

(I really, really don't know why ANY dress would be made without a bra built into it. Srsly.)
    Imagine all the dress sizes.
    (Unless you're talking about shelf bras -- in which case, I totally disagree, because some people, myself included, have too much boob for shelf bras to work well.)

I generally agree, though I bought a convertible bra recently and it has been miraculous with my dresses.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

(Unless you're talking about shelf bras -- in which case, I totally disagree, because some people, myself included, have too much boob for shelf bras to work well.)

I generally agree, though I bought a convertible bra recently and it has been miraculous with my dresses.
    Yeah, I hate those stupid shelf bras. They don't do anything but add discomfort, and I'm barely average sized. Given how hard it is to get a bra to fit in the first place, I agree that it'd be a nightmare to find a whole dress that fits including a built-in bra, although that sounds awesome! High-quality clothes are so nice to have.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I mean those dresses like this.

Either you're the type with tiny bewbs (cough) and you just need some privacy.. or you're the type that's going to need to wear a bra anyways, so a little privacy won't really show no matter how you go.