User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    OMG Peach bellini jam?? I'm fairly sure I melt at the taste of a crisp frozen bellini on a hot day. I used to serve a very very divine one at my shop at the Ren Faire. The thought of having that sort of taste on a piece of toast first thing in the morning.. *Swooooon*
    It's so good. I made a small batch of Carrot Cake jam too. Top a bagel with some cream cheese and a little of the jam and it's just like cake. I have seen some recipes for Mimosa jam and I'm going to try that this year.

Peach Bellini Jam

7 1/2 cups sugar
    3 cups chopped, peeled ripe peaches
    1 cup Prosecco
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 6 ounce package of liquid pectin

Combine everything but the pectin and bring to a full boil, stirring to make sure all the sugar dissolves. Stir in the pectin and bring back to a boil, remove from the heat and skim off any foam, ladle into jars.

Carrot Cake Jam

2 cups Finely Shredded Carrots
    1 cup Finely Chopped, peeled pear
    1× 15 oz Crushed Pineapple In Juice, undrained
    2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
    1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
    ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
    1× 1.75 oz pkg Regular Powdered Fruit Pectin
    4 cups Granulated Sugar
    2 cups Packed Brown Sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla
    ¼ cup Flaked Coconut or Raisins, optional

In a 4-6 quart heavy pot, combine carrots, pear, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly, then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, sprinkle mixture with pectin, then stir until pectin dissolves. Bring carrot mixture to boiling, stirring constantly. Add granulated and brown sugars. Return to a full rolling boil, then boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon. Stir in vanilla and coconut or raisins, if using.

Ladle hot jam into hot, sterilized half pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4 inch head space. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Start timing when water returns to a boil. Remove jars from canner and cool on wire racks. Makes 7 half pints.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

My heart is also dead set on buying two baby dwarf goats instead of dogs.
    [YOUTUBE="0rB5ToejoAg"]Might I recommend...[/YOUTUBE]
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    It's so good. I made a small batch of Carrot Cake jam too. Top a bagel with some cream cheese and a little of the jam and it's just like cake. I have seen some recipes for Mimosa jam and I'm going to try that this year....
    I AM giving these recipes a try when I get home. One of my goals this year for christmas is to give all handmade gifts to my friends, instead of copping out and buying things from the internet as I've done in the past with much success. My goal is to give twice as many christmas presents on half the income. I know I can make that happen and still give lovely gifts. Beautiful jams seem like a good idea for many of the people on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    [YOUTUBE="0rB5ToejoAg"]Might I recommend...[/YOUTUBE]
    YES! They're so tiny and adorable, how could I not get something like that?!

We plan on keeping chickens, and a book I was reading said that chickens do very well with goats because the goats intimidate predators, so a couple goats would do well. I plan on having a couple good for milking and one purely as a pet. A couple dwarf goats and a pygmy.

Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I just read a long chapter regarding this subject. I'm sad to say I'm terrified of bees, annoyingly and really unnecessarily so. They're so sweet, and they just buzz around, but I can't help locking up, panicking, and fearing for my life when they're around, even though I'm fairly sure I'm not allergic to them.

It sounds so lovely, though, having fresh honey. I may just have to stick to buying it from someone else braver than I though.

I do, however, intend to build a bat house on my property. I'd love nothing more.
    Bees are so... I dunno, it's such a primal thing, you know? So far I have only been stung once, because we're pretty strict about protecting ourselves, but I have a feeling I will get more leery the more times it happens. It's hard to control your responses to a creature you know can harm you and you know doesn't understand or care about human rules - not like domesticated animals, where you can have some confidence that they know your intent.

I don't ever see us keeping bees on a large scale or making a business out of it; I don't love it that much, and it's really a lot cheaper to just buy local honey. But I like the science-y aspect of it, just as a personal satisfaction.

A bat house would be such a neat thing to have; I'd love to sit and watch them in the evening. I was fascinated with bats as a kid (because, you know, fuzzy creatures! in the SKY!) and still love to see them.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    It's so good. I made a small batch of Carrot Cake jam too. Top a bagel with some cream cheese and a little of the jam and it's just like cake. I have seen some recipes for Mimosa jam and I'm going to try that this year.

Peach Bellini Jam

7 1/2 cups sugar
    3 cups chopped, peeled ripe peaches
    1 cup Prosecco
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 6 ounce package of liquid pectin

Combine everything but the pectin and bring to a full boil, stirring to make sure all the sugar dissolves. Stir in the pectin and bring back to a boil, remove from the heat and skim off any foam, ladle into jars.

Carrot Cake Jam

2 cups Finely Shredded Carrots
    1 cup Finely Chopped, peeled pear
    1× 15 oz Crushed Pineapple In Juice, undrained
    2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
    1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
    ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
    1× 1.75 oz pkg Regular Powdered Fruit Pectin
    4 cups Granulated Sugar
    2 cups Packed Brown Sugar
    1 tsp Vanilla
    ¼ cup Flaked Coconut or Raisins, optional

In a 4-6 quart heavy pot, combine carrots, pear, pineapple with juice, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly, then reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, sprinkle mixture with pectin, then stir until pectin dissolves. Bring carrot mixture to boiling, stirring constantly. Add granulated and brown sugars. Return to a full rolling boil, then boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon. Stir in vanilla and coconut or raisins, if using.

Ladle hot jam into hot, sterilized half pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4 inch head space. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Start timing when water returns to a boil. Remove jars from canner and cool on wire racks. Makes 7 half pints.
    Thanks for sharing your recipes! I love the way the strawberry margarita jam looks in those wide jars, too. So pretty.

I knew my strawberry-lemon jam needed work when it was so black in the jar I couldn't see the seeds. I hadn't watched it carefully enough when it was simmering, and I'd let too much liquid boil out. A recipe for 4 half-pint jars made about 2 and a quarter. Live and learn!
    MBTI: INFP
    Enneagram: 4w5, Sp/Sx
    Socionics: EII-INFj
    Life Path 11, Destiny Number 9
    Pisces Sun, Scorpio Moon, Libra Ascendant

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I have a goal for 2013 to use only bathroom products and toiletries I have made myself.. to start experimenting with simple, cheaper, and hopefully more effective solutions.

The talk of aluminum in deodorants, and all the chemicals I keep sticking on my face.. Lately, I've used baby powder on my face twice a day and that has helped with how oily my face gets more than anything else. I sweat so much out here there's no way I can wash with harsh chemicals multiple times a day. Im going to use up the products I have, and start making shit myself.. if it doesn't work, I'll find an ingredient that does.

The inspiration came from trying to find an alternative to Jergen's Naturally Smooth hair minimizing lotion. I couldn't find it ANYWHERE.. it was discontinued, the company said "F you, we're not making it anymore" and no companies making similar products have any on the shelves either. A $5 bottle, six years old, is being sold on Amazon for $40!! Ridiculous?!

But I saw the active ingredients.. and I thought. Well..Why not just make my own lotion with those ingredients in it? Soy proteins, and great burnet root extract. That's it, really. So that's what I'm going to do when I get home. Make my own lotion, and say eff you to Jergens.. and everything else really. Apparently there has been a lot of great success with No-shampoo solutions of mere baking soda and water with some vinegar and the occasional hot oil treatment. By the time I looked up all the recipes.. Besides the essential oils, many of them called for the same ingredients. Too easy. Though I think I'll still buy my soap--I think soap makers make it just as well as I eventually would be able to..

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

My list of things to try making myself:

Lotion. My first endeavor, since it sparked it all. I have all the list of ingredients. Sweet almond oil, emulsifier, sage EO, great burnet root extract, hydrolyzed soy protein, preservative, a bit of fragrance, thickener, and lemon EO. Meant to be a shave minimizing lotion. We'll see how it turns out when I get home!