• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dealing with the cold

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Worse part of the cold for me is it dries my nose out and causes me to get a nose bleeds so easily. I have to constantly keep putting some kind of moisturizer in my nostril or I will bleed out, not really but you get the point.

Yech, this bothers me too (mine are more sinus problems, but they can bleed too just not a gushing faucet like a "nosebleed") and my shins & feet get incredibly dry skin.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Any ideas for dealing with the cold weather?

I got some thermal socks this week and I'd always have thought the idea was a gimic and its turned out they are amazing and worth the extra cost.

Thermal socks are good. I have a pair of smart wool hiking socks that I end up wearing around the house most of the winter. :D

Also:

Drink more water.
Invest in a fleece-lined (faux or real) blanket for lying around the house.
Thermal underwear! Silk is best.
Get some gloves with grips for driving in the morning. It won't make your hands completely warm, but it keeps the chill from the wheel from seeping into your bones.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
If you're talking "being outside in the cold weather", listen to JAVO. He knows his stuff :).

However, if you're just talking about things in general, I've found that thick socks, a warm blanket, and a mug of hot chocolate can be pretty darned nice too.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it kinda depends how cold you're talking, what you're doing and how long you're outside for... I was under the impression that ireland never got extremely cold, although it's entirely likely that I'm completely off-base there. Also your metabolism/circulation will make a difference with how many clothes you need.

It's been about -20C[-4F] here the last few days (feeling more like -30 to 35C[-22 to -31F] with windchill). I'm guessing that's at least as cold as you're talking about? It does get colder than that here but I don't really change my clothing habits, I just try to avoid being outside/in the wind.

For this weather (or colder) I wear a down parka that reaches mid-thigh (would prefer longer) and has a fake fur-lined hood that blocks most of the wind from hitting your face. I wear a hat too, most of the time, since I don't like the hood blocking my vision when I can help it. Scarf covering my neck that can be pulled up over my nose if I want, but rarely bother. Good quality boots that reach at least high enough that your ankles aren't cold. I wear medium-weight leggings under jeans, although I'm aware jeans are not optimal for cold weather. Heavier leggings, fleece pants or actual long johns for colder weather if I know I'll be outside for a while, like skating. I always wear a sweater of some kind. Mittens (gloves will freeze your fingers), although most coat pockets are a not-horrible substitute if you don't have to carry anything. This keeps me pretty comfortable for about 15-20 minutes as long as it's not too windy, and just a little cold (not OMG MAKE IT STOP cold) for awhile after that.

Those are pretty basic but I'm not sure you really need anything beyond that! Unless you're going outside for a long time or in very extreme weather.

Mole

Permabanned
I look at pictures of you in the newspapers while you are outdoors. And I am struck by how much you are rugged up. I'll tell you what - it looks cold - cold, cold shiveringly cold.

So then I adjust my fedora and feel the sun on my shoulders.

Ah, if you weren't so cold, I wouldn't feel so warm.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
"Cold" of course is a very relative term when you're living and working in Africa. Here in Casablanca, the temperature never gets under +6 or 7°C, and accordingly, we're surrounded by palmtrees and figtrees.

Nonetheless, it's easy to experience cold, somehow.

First, during the winter there (aka the green, rainy season), what I find rather comical is the large number of Moroccans wearing heavy winter jackets and boots as soon as the temperature gets under +12°C during the evening. Oh, the irony!

Second, you have to know that most of the buildings here were designed to repell the heat waves during summer. And hence, in winter, when outside during a sunny day, the temperature can rise up to a good 19-20°C, it's still chilling cold inside because of the extreme thermal insulation coupled with the fact that we use no heater whatsoever.

And thus, in my office I work here with a scarf and a sweater... while when I'm outside, I usually only need a shirt and a light jacket.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Come and visit Minnesota in the dead of winter; then you'll feel warm when you go back home. ;)

In all seriousness... long underwear is God's gift to cold climate dwellers. A warm hat and scarf are good too. A wise person once told me, if your neck's warm, you're warm. Inside, sweaters, slippers, blankets and dogs are good for staying warm. :)

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Just tried this over the weekend:

Cut insoles for your shoes or boots from one of those reflective windshield sunscreens which are two thin layers of reflective film sandwiching a very thin layer of bubble wrap-like material between them. They're not very durable, so put your normal insoles over them. Standing around at 27F for an hour in the snow with a thick wool sock and trail runners, the foot with this insole was comfortable, while the foot without it was cold.

The reflective material reflects a small amount of heat back to your foot, and the thin layer of bubble wrap provides a small amount of insulation. The slight difference is worth it.

S

SingSmileShine

Anyone who said to exercise more: Bingo.

That, and putting your head under the covers when you go to sleep. Works wonders.
The more blankets, the merrier. And socks!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Keep appendages covered ESP feet. Wear a scarf at all times. Hand warmers toasty insoles help. Drink lots of tea. And sounds counter intuitive but let yourself get colder than you want - then run back I indoors or to a warmer room. it helps to reset the temp and how you perceive cold. I bathe as oppose to shower when it's cold and wear thick socks and winter boots when out. Helps a lot.

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
Most of the time saying you're cold is just code for saying you're a wuss.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Stay Warm Principle: keep your core temp warm by 1st, minimizing heat loss at the extremities and 2nd, protecting that heat with form-fitting thermal base layer + 1 additional layer to utilize the benefits of layering without bulk

your feet, hands, and head are the primary areas where you lose heat. you're already off to a good start with thermal socks. if you're serious about staying warm, I advise you to get a wool beanie... something comfortable and good looking that you don't mind wearing everywhere (i advise something least semi-professional looking). then, a pair of thin gloves to keep in your pocket and put on every time you go outside (even a thin layer makes a huge difference as the wind combined with the high surface area of your hands is an area of major heat loss). I prefer mechanix black on black, they fit very well and the grip is comfortable and nice for anything you're used to doing without gloves.

This will cover the first half of staying warm principle, now as far as keeping your core warm for extended periods, you want something form fitting (not puffy) like a baselayer w/ 1.5-2.5mm of thickness. Patagonia R1 or capilene 3 which you can wear all the time, and throw on a hoodie over it or a jacket if you're outside, it should keep you warm. if you plan to stay like this a lot, capilene 3 long underwear is worth buying just for the sheer comfort you'll feel in it.

I lived this way for a couple years where the temp was 35-55 indoors. i never needed to turn up the heat, but always felt comfortable.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heat your garage. Get a remote car starter. Set your heater controls in your vehicle to maximum heat and maximum blower speed. If you have an office job, work in an office building with an attached garage. Start your vehicle from inside your office 20 mins before you leave work.

You stay warm the whole time!

Or, as an alternative, move someplace warm.

Mole

Permabanned
A cool night is a one dog night.

And a cold night is a two dog night.

Snoopy22

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
May sound yucky (and is a bit yucky) but it works, stop taking showers or baths, after 3 weeks you get enough grease build up on your skin to help keep you warm.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
May sound yucky (and is a bit yucky) but it works, stop taking showers or baths, after 3 weeks you get enough grease build up on your skin to help keep you warm.

thats not true, i know for a fact.