User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Just tried this over the weekend:

Cut insoles for your shoes or boots from one of those reflective windshield sunscreens which are two thin layers of reflective film sandwiching a very thin layer of bubble wrap-like material between them. They're not very durable, so put your normal insoles over them. Standing around at 27F for an hour in the snow with a thick wool sock and trail runners, the foot with this insole was comfortable, while the foot without it was cold.

The reflective material reflects a small amount of heat back to your foot, and the thin layer of bubble wrap provides a small amount of insulation. The slight difference is worth it.

SingSmileShine

Anyone who said to exercise more: Bingo.

That, and putting your head under the covers when you go to sleep. Works wonders.
    The more blankets, the merrier. And socks!

Quote Originally Posted by SingSmileShine View Post
    Anyone who said to exercise more: Bingo.

That, and putting your head under the covers when you go to sleep. Works wonders.
    The more blankets, the merrier. And socks!
    I like your username.

MBTI
    GONE

Keep appendages covered ESP feet. Wear a scarf at all times. Hand warmers toasty insoles help. Drink lots of tea. And sounds counter intuitive but let yourself get colder than you want - then run back I indoors or to a warmer room. it helps to reset the temp and how you perceive cold. I bathe as oppose to shower when it's cold and wear thick socks and winter boots when out. Helps a lot.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Most of the time saying you're cold is just code for saying you're a wuss.

Senior Member EvidenceOfRedemption's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP

Stay Warm Principle: keep your core temp warm by 1st, minimizing heat loss at the extremities and 2nd, protecting that heat with form-fitting thermal base layer + 1 additional layer to utilize the benefits of layering without bulk

your feet, hands, and head are the primary areas where you lose heat. you're already off to a good start with thermal socks. if you're serious about staying warm, I advise you to get a wool beanie... something comfortable and good looking that you don't mind wearing everywhere (i advise something least semi-professional looking). then, a pair of thin gloves to keep in your pocket and put on every time you go outside (even a thin layer makes a huge difference as the wind combined with the high surface area of your hands is an area of major heat loss). I prefer mechanix black on black, they fit very well and the grip is comfortable and nice for anything you're used to doing without gloves.

This will cover the first half of staying warm principle, now as far as keeping your core warm for extended periods, you want something form fitting (not puffy) like a baselayer w/ 1.5-2.5mm of thickness. Patagonia R1 or capilene 3 which you can wear all the time, and throw on a hoodie over it or a jacket if you're outside, it should keep you warm. if you plan to stay like this a lot, capilene 3 long underwear is worth buying just for the sheer comfort you'll feel in it.

I lived this way for a couple years where the temp was 35-55 indoors. i never needed to turn up the heat, but always felt comfortable.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Heat your garage. Get a remote car starter. Set your heater controls in your vehicle to maximum heat and maximum blower speed. If you have an office job, work in an office building with an attached garage. Start your vehicle from inside your office 20 mins before you leave work.

You stay warm the whole time!

Or, as an alternative, move someplace warm.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

A cool night is a one dog night.

And a cold night is a two dog night.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

May sound yucky (and is a bit yucky) but it works, stop taking showers or baths, after 3 weeks you get enough grease build up on your skin to help keep you warm.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy22 View Post
    May sound yucky (and is a bit yucky) but it works, stop taking showers or baths, after 3 weeks you get enough grease build up on your skin to help keep you warm.
    thats not true, i know for a fact.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so