User Tag List

First 1234 Last

1. Use clothing which blocks the wind if there is any wind. Regular fleece is a terrible wind blocker.

2. Stay dry. Use a waterproof breathable shell if it's raining or wet snow is falling (generally, anytime the temp is above 15-20F). Keep cool enough that you're not sweating.

3. Avoid cotton. It retains moisture, takes forever to dry, and makes you cold once it gets wet. You'll be warmer naked and dry than wearing wet cotton. The only exception is that in cold-dry conditions (temps less than 20F), cotton makes a great breathable shell layer to block the wind and dry snow.

4. Hands and feet sometimes get cold because the body's core temp is dropping. The body then reduces circulation to extremities in order to keep the more essential core warm.

5. Tight clothing or footwear restricts blood flow, which makes that part of the body cold.

6. Muscles are our internal heat source. If you're cold, get moving. When sleeping out in the winter, I do sit-ups in my sleeping bag to warm it up when I first get into it.

7. Try vapor barriers: a waterproof (non-breathable) layer next to the skin, sometimes worn over a thin layer of clothing for comfort. These prevent insulating layers of clothing from getting wet due to moisture given off by the skin, and they nearly eliminate heat lost through evaporation of the moisture. On winter backpacking trips, I use vapor barriers for my feet, and sometimes I sleep in one (up to my neck).

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

As much as I might usually be a friend of cotton, plastic is definitely more comfortable with this weather. I am actually wrapped up in a polyester blanket right now.

- keep hand and feet warm, extra thick socks or even double layers should do the trick
    - take lots of hot liquids, this might be coffee, tea, soup or cocoa and make sure you eat enough
    - make sure your apartment is well insulated. It's incredible how much warmth can escape and you end up heating the entire neighborhood!
    - keep your circulation up by moving around a lot, as you rest, your circulation goes down and you start freezing

Anway, this winter my solution will hopefully look something like this:

Man, I hate the cold!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Proper layering.
    A down jacket.
    Good, dry socks.
    Something over your face.
    Stay hydrated.
    Stay fed.

Pretty easy under most circumstances. But with that said, what means "cold"?

And as JAVO mentions, cotton kills.

Smile Winter and Summer

As we move into the height of Summer I remember the only thing necessary for Winter in Canberra is a down jacket.

Added extras are nice like thermal underwear, a woollen hat and gloves.

But Winter is so beautiful in Canberra. The air is so fresh and crisp and clear and you can see forever.

We could have built Canberra anywhere but we chose a cold climate 'cause a cold climate, it was thought, is character building.

Do you think it has built my character?

But Summer is upon us. A billion trees are in leaf. And Summer is warm with a low humidity. And I look forward to long, hot days wading the cool lazarette of Paddy's Creek.

Think of me as Jack Frost nips your ears, and you tuck your toes under the doona. Think of me sipping an ice-cold spitzer while you spoon your hot soup to keep the cold at bay.

And I have discovered what makes Canberra beautiful - it's the cold and the sunlight. The cold by itself is a bit grey and dull, but with the sunlight Canberra sparkles. And so do I.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Cold climate in Canberra? C'mon now the extremes are like 0-10 °C, quite mild!
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Smile The Meaning of Warmth

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Cold climate in Canberra? C'mon now the extremes are like 0-10 °C, quite mild!
    Oh no, in the depths of Winter, we get down to two degrees below freezing, -2 C. And on the odd day, we can even go as low as -5 C. However this is compensated by sunny, windless days.

And indeed, what is quite mild for you is cold for us. After all, Canberra is our coldest, Capital city.

And interestingly, Canberra is our first non-colonial city. The rest of our Capital cities are on the coast, in harbours or rivers where the settlers first arrived.

You might say Canberra is our first Continental city, high in the Southern Tablelands, safe from Naval guns, safe from tropical diseases and even ticks.

And the cold may or may not be character building, but the cold teaches us the meaning of warmth.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know if any of these have been mentioned yet...

Leather jackets with a removable layer of extra padding kick ass, get one.

Earmuffs look stupid, but they are quite usefull.

When lacking alternatives, yardwork gloves get the job done in cold weather.

Also, alcohol has a deceptive warming affect, you shouldn't trust it (but drink it anyway).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Worse part of the cold for me is it dries my nose out and causes me to get a nose bleeds so easily. I have to constantly keep putting some kind of moisturizer in my nostril or I will bleed out, not really but you get the point.

MBTI
    INTP

This morning I carried a space heater around from room to room while I went about my business.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

A wood stove in the house.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so