• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kyu's Tiny House Blog

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like a good time! :D When the ground breaks on the house I'll shoot you a PM ;) I'm hoping for the land to be settled in this year, and push forward with the house itself end of the year or early next year.

Sounds good :) Will have to subscribe to this thread. Should be mostly done with my house by then.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

Three unique elements I really loved in this place:
1. The dining table is elevated.. the stairs become the dining room chairs. A really cool concept to eat higher than the ground level.
2. The full-size 4-burner range in the middle of that place.
3. the use of that 'corner' space being open to access with those backside baskets.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What size house are you planning on building sqft wise? U gonna build it yourself from the ground up, buy kits, or contract out to have it built?

I have wanted a pull along trailer for camping and came across these tiny houses a year or so ago and decided I was gonna build one instead of buying a pull along. Havnt looked into it to much yet as it will probably be 3-4 years down the road before I build one, but they are pretty cool.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
What size house are you planning on building sqft wise? U gonna build it yourself from the ground up, buy kits, or contract out to have it built?

I have wanted a pull along trailer for camping and came across these tiny houses a year or so ago and decided I was gonna build one instead of buying a pull along. Havnt looked into it to much yet as it will probably be 3-4 years down the road before I build one, but they are pretty cool.

So, I have a split tiny house thing going on. I will have a guest house on my parents' property (aka my land too, but my parents will live on it) that I am building from the ground up. Nothing fancy.. just a tall barn-style shed like structure that'll be exactly 200 sq. ft for city code side-stepping, with a small L-shaped porch on it. Something that's just enough for a single person to live comfortably in, or two people to temporarily stay in. This is the one I'm currently planning on, and I've got the funds for.

Eventually, I will build a nicer tiny house.. whether in Texas, or elsewhere, is yet to be seen, but I draw inspiration for that house all of the time. The idea is that eventually we'll own a small ranch's worth of property here in Texas, and maybe there is where I will stick my home. But I have no clue yet. It is my dream to have a creepy house, and a victorian-style look to aspects of it, and a slightly medieval look .. and I think I can marry all of those concepts together. A definite medieval looking outdoor kitchen/dining area.. and an outdoor meditation area of sorts.. a place of ritual in a corner of something somewhere. I dunno how to span all of this out yet.. but this home will not be nearly as tiny as the 200 sq. ft home. I'm thinking more of a 1,000 sq. ft home for this one. Still small, but lots more space and good engineering to make it just big enough to feel a little luxurious.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Three unique elements I really loved in this place:
1. The dining table is elevated.. the stairs become the dining room chairs. A really cool concept to eat higher than the ground level.
2. The full-size 4-burner range in the middle of that place.
3. the use of that 'corner' space being open to access with those backside baskets.

whoa dude. In love <3

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So, I have a split tiny house thing going on. I will have a guest house on my parents' property (aka my land too, but my parents will live on it) that I am building from the ground up. Nothing fancy.. just a tall barn-style shed like structure that'll be exactly 200 sq. ft for city code side-stepping, with a small L-shaped porch on it. Something that's just enough for a single person to live comfortably in, or two people to temporarily stay in. This is the one I'm currently planning on, and I've got the funds for.

Eventually, I will build a nicer tiny house.. whether in Texas, or elsewhere, is yet to be seen, but I draw inspiration for that house all of the time. The idea is that eventually we'll own a small ranch's worth of property here in Texas, and maybe there is where I will stick my home. But I have no clue yet. It is my dream to have a creepy house, and a victorian-style look to aspects of it, and a slightly medieval look .. and I think I can marry all of those concepts together. A definite medieval looking outdoor kitchen/dining area.. and an outdoor meditation area of sorts.. a place of ritual in a corner of something somewhere. I dunno how to span all of this out yet.. but this home will not be nearly as tiny as the 200 sq. ft home. I'm thinking more of a 1,000 sq. ft home for this one. Still small, but lots more space and good engineering to make it just big enough to feel a little luxurious.

Nice :) I like the idea of a huge porch, even a semi-outdoor bedroom would sound awesome. I like 2000 sqft houses, but if given an outdoor patio/kitchen I would definitely do a smaller house. I just picked up a free hot tub, its not in the best condition, but it doesn't leak and runs good. It just has cosmetic sun damage. Wanting to put French doors in the master so I can get somewhat of an outdoor feel. Torches, hot tub, open bedroom with a comfy bed and candles...:) and a waterfall somewhere. That's the Hawaiian side of me dreaming. In love outdoors. If I had the yard I would love to have a huge outdoor area

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this is kind of cool reminds me a little of snow crash though
South African company making shipping containers feel like a ‘real’ house
South African citizens eligible to apply for a RDP house must have a total household income of less than R3,500 ($277). But those that earn marginally more face limited options.

“And that is where there is a big gap in the market,” noted Maydew. “Those millions of people that are in an income bracket that should be able to afford a home, but can’t… What they can’t do is get a bond. They can’t necessarily get onto that property ladder because the price is R400,000 or R500,000.”

Kalil added this is the income group that the company is looking to target. “They have just missed the housing subsidy bracket and they can’t afford to buy a R500,000 house or even spend R150,000 to built one. But they can afford to have a R100,000 fully-fitted container home that is delivered in three weeks.”

For R100,000 ($7,910) the company offers bachelor units with a bathroom, shower, kitchenette (sink and two cooking hotplates) and built-in cupboards. They are beautifully finished with windows, flooring, a sliding door, and a variety of different exterior cladding options.

And on the high-end side, a two bedroom home – with a number of additional extras such as an oven with extractor fan – will cost around R180,000 ($14,250)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Shipping containers have their flaws and issues, I used to live in one, but they are awesome for what they are. They do make incredibly awesome storage facilities.

I'm still working on a land deal here.. my issue is logistical in nature--primary housing loans for the land mean I'd have to 'officially move' there long before my house would be complete, which means I have to save money for a 20% down payment investment property... laaame. I'm working on it currently. The money I have saved now will just have to go towards the land investment before I can really get this thing off the ground.

In the meanwhile, I've been trying to finalize some design features of the tiny barn. It needs to be set up in such a way that I can take it down and have it unused for a few months at a time. While I can pretty much rely on a family member to check in on it and sweep away some cobwebs, it still needs to be stuff that doesn't need constant maintenance.

I'm going to test pilot some things here at the house I'm currently living in. Like building a small outdoor kitchen area out of a camping stove in such a way that I can just open up everything and have it be protected from bugs and weather.

I'm going electric because electricity is cheap in Texas, and I can always use non-electric options like solar-power for lamps and lights and a camping stove outside. So the stove/oven will be a couple small, cheap burners and a microwave oven. The one I have here is fantastic and more than enough awesomeness for cooking. I'm not one of those crazy off-the-grid tiny types, and I'm not overly concerned about this or that environmental thing.. electricity is cheap, the machines are cheap, etc. etc.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm going electric because electricity is cheap in Texas, and I can always use non-electric options like solar-power for lamps and lights and a camping stove outside. So the stove/oven will be a couple small, cheap burners and a microwave oven. The one I have here is fantastic and more than enough awesomeness for cooking. I'm not one of those crazy off-the-grid tiny types, and I'm not overly concerned about this or that environmental thing.. electricity is cheap, the machines are cheap, etc. etc.

It was either Tiny House Nation or another tiny house show that used solar roof shingles. There are tax-incentives and rebates, plus the price is coming down and saving 40-60% of electricity sounds good.

Permabanned
Shipping containers have their flaws and issues, I used to live in one, but they are awesome for what they are. They do make incredibly awesome storage facilities.

The more I think of it the more depressing the thought of living in a box is, metal or not.

I'm still working on a land deal here.. my issue is logistical in nature--primary housing loans for the land mean I'd have to 'officially move' there long before my house would be complete, which means I have to save money for a 20% down payment investment property... laaame. I'm working on it currently. The money I have saved now will just have to go towards the land investment before I can really get this thing off the ground.

In the meanwhile, I've been trying to finalize some design features of the tiny barn. It needs to be set up in such a way that I can take it down and have it unused for a few months at a time. While I can pretty much rely on a family member to check in on it and sweep away some cobwebs, it still needs to be stuff that doesn't need constant maintenance.

I'm going to test pilot some things here at the house I'm currently living in. Like building a small outdoor kitchen area out of a camping stove in such a way that I can just open up everything and have it be protected from bugs and weather.

Or use the power of the SUN

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The more I think of it the more depressing the thought of living in a box is, metal or not.

Or use the power of the SUN

:rofl1: Ain't nobody got time for that!! (Seriously though, I watched like 3 videos in a row, pretty awesome shit.)

And yeah, living in a narrow metal box is constricting and a bit sad.. I didn't spend much time in my room at all, I was always out and about. It's a great way to keep you from being a home body, that's for sure.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It was either Tiny House Nation or another tiny house show that used solar roof shingles. There are tax-incentives and rebates, plus the price is coming down and saving 40-60% of electricity sounds good.

Oh yeah, there are all kinds of cool stuff now-a-days. And you can find a company that buys your excess and make money off of it too especially if you don't live there year round. I just saw on kickstarter a 'sunport' where you can demand to use 100% solar energy from whatever it is you plug into it via demanding it from the grid vs having a panel.. so you can support other people with solar panels too.

I think electric is the way to go especially if you want to switch between on and off grid functions. Propane doesn't convert at all. It is awesome for cooking, and I'm going to stick by my small camping stove idea for stove-top cooking.. but overall, if you want to switch from electric to solar there's easy ways to flip that on and off again to suit one's needs. And tiny's dont demand much energy anyways... so considering I won't be there for a majority of the time, it seems cheaper to just pay-on-demand for electricity, have some strips and things that prevent vampire energy leaking, and have some solar back up for liason/shorter periods of time.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i came up with a pick up line from an obese person to an anorexic:

"Hey are you homeless? because i could be your tiny house :newwink:"

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] sooo fucking gorgeous. :worthy:

While I was at harbor freight I was checking out the solar panels there... Sometimes they have the open-box packages of them, and the big 45 watt panels are only like $121.. With a couple batteries, in Texas, that really could power a whole tiny house! It'd be pretty easy, and if the panels didn't even last very long.. for the price of an electricity bill I could replace a component. A couple of those on sale + a couple batteries would power a fridge. Plus a little wind turbine for stormy weather? :D! :wizfreak:

We're thinking we'll start small and hook up a solar panel + a makeshift rechargeable battery pack to our gazebo out here to let it light up at night on its own without running wires to it across the yard. Just to experiment with it all. We could potentially convert part of our house into solar though--maybe get the panel and a battery to run a space heater in the house while we're not there to keep the place from being damp and cold in the winter months.. Then we can shut it off when we get home and run the wood stove and it won't be quite so cold in here all winter long.

And if we could get the dryer to go solar instead of propane we'd be saving a ton of money.. the propane is the majority of our budget right now.

I had the idea of just building one of those fan-solar-powered-black boxes that steam-dry the clothes, but I dunno if I'll realistically use that enough for it to be of use.. there's a lot of shade where I'm at and I'm not going onto a roof top to get my clothes. :laugh: We do hang clothes to dry when it's nice weather, but we create too much laundry for even that sometimes.

Permabanned
[MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] sooo fucking gorgeous. :worthy:

While I was at harbor freight I was checking out the solar panels there... Sometimes they have the open-box packages of them, and the big 45 watt panels are only like $121.. With a couple batteries, in Texas, that really could power a whole tiny house! It'd be pretty easy, and if the panels didn't even last very long.. for the price of an electricity bill I could replace a component. A couple of those on sale + a couple batteries would power a fridge. Plus a little wind turbine for stormy weather? :D! :wizfreak:

We're thinking we'll start small and hook up a solar panel + a makeshift rechargeable battery pack to our gazebo out here to let it light up at night on its own without running wires to it across the yard. Just to experiment with it all. We could potentially convert part of our house into solar though--maybe get the panel and a battery to run a space heater in the house while we're not there to keep the place from being damp and cold in the winter months.. Then we can shut it off when we get home and run the wood stove and it won't be quite so cold in here all winter long.

And if we could get the dryer to go solar instead of propane we'd be saving a ton of money.. the propane is the majority of our budget right now.

I had the idea of just building one of those fan-solar-powered-black boxes that steam-dry the clothes, but I dunno if I'll realistically use that enough for it to be of use.. there's a lot of shade where I'm at and I'm not going onto a roof top to get my clothes. :laugh: We do hang clothes to dry when it's nice weather, but we create too much laundry for even that sometimes.

why thank y, ur 2 kind.

amurcan probs, we don't do dryer here, unless dry cleaner/laundromat.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
why thank y, ur 2 kind.

amurcan probs, we don't do dryer here, unless dry cleaner/laundromat.

:laugh: Yeah I noticed that in europe, but I LOVE dryers. :wubbie: :hug: They make clothes feel so nice and comfy. I guess the closest thing I've seen is a drying cabinet for there... but you could just use some black plastic + PVC pipe and make a box with a fan in it and get the same thing.