• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kyu's Tiny House Blog

Beorn

Permabanned
We're going to start out with just goats and chickens.. Mostly chickens, the goats are more going to be for milk and companionship for the chickens to keep vermin away. We have about an acre and a half set aside for farming and gardening, and our garden is going to be the majority of that. I think I would love to have pigs, but I don't know if I could be the one to cut them up :c I like piggies too much. :laugh: Id have to sell them if I raised them.

Yeah, butchering would be tough for me, too. Pigs I'm not as worried about as cute little lambs. But, slaughtering would have a lot of moral and religious meaning for me as I have yet to really appreciate the cost of eating animals despite having benefited from the slaughter and suffering of thousands of animals.

Its beautiful! Im going to take some time to read more about it for sure. Thanks for posting this! :) Mine will cost twice that amount.. but mostly because I'm unsure of building things like foundations and structures, so I'm hiring help on those parts.

I'm glad you find it helpful. It makes sense you're will cost twice as much. He estimated his labor was worth about 10k and indeed the tax accessor estimated it was worth about 17k.

This is how my house will be. 127 sq. ft. means a small wood-burning stove will last me more than a winters worth of heat. Solar and wind combination energy systems with a back up battery plugged into the grid would mean that I could potentially sell unused energy but I would have enough energy year round to be essentially off the grid. A water catchment system plugged into the grid means Id only use the water from the city that I needed. I suspect my costs for the set-up fees will equate to about a regular electricity bill for 4-5 years, after which itll have all paid itself off and my house will be able to run itself. :laugh:

Nice. I knew you could get paid for putting energy into the grid, but had no idea you could do the same with water. That is very cool.

Are you interested in tiny living, or sustainability, both? An old farm house is really inspiring though.. :wubbie:

I haven't really thought about tiny living before I read his blog. What's cool is that it really allows him to maximize the money and time he puts into the pigs. WhiChat makes sense since while he has a multi-livestock facility the only product is pig. Everything completely revolves around the pigs. The chickens follow the pigs and just roost in the trees while the pigs eat their eggs. He plants beets and pumpkin on the well manured land used for winter shelter, but then just lets the pigs dig'em up and eat them in the fall. So he makes full use of natural processes, but never loses sight of his objective... a better tasting and marketable pig.

So, yeah I might take a look into it. I was already considering a mobile home, but this would be much cooler and probably cheaper. I like the idea of tiny living mainly because it enables maximum investment in other things. I'm a big guy, though, so I might have to start renting a studio to make sure I wouldn't mind the confinement.

I find sustainable living appealing. I grew up in a home where money was always an issue despite the fact that my Father made a very nice middle class income. So I think I would just feel more comfortable in a more sustainable living environment. It will take a lot for me to achieve as I'm not a handy man at all.

I've had a couple of my friends talk about doing some sort of shared small farming deal/ non-weird commune sort of deal. We all have demanding jobs that we need to pay off debt, but we've talked about the idea of living on adjacent parcels and sharing farming duties to make it easier to hold down a job as well. Some of them have already ventured into things like bee keeping so I know they're at least a little serious.

I'm not sure exactly how the next five years are going to go for me financially. I could make a lot of money or very little. But, I know regardless of that I can take little steps to live more sustainably and enjoy higher quality food of my own creation.

It's very inspiring to see the steps you've already taken. :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yeah, butchering would be tough for me, too. Pigs I'm not as worried about as cute little lambs. But, slaughtering would have a lot of moral and religious meaning for me as I have yet to really appreciate the cost of eating animals despite having benefited from the slaughter and suffering of thousands of animals.

I have no moral dilemmas regarding killing and death.. I'm pretty at peace with all of that. I just happen to think pigs are adorable so it is difficult. :laugh:

I'm glad you find it helpful. It makes sense you're will cost twice as much. He estimated his labor was worth about 10k and indeed the tax accessor estimated it was worth about 17k.

Sounds like I'm on the right track! :newwink:

Nice. I knew you could get paid for putting energy into the grid, but had no idea you could do the same with water. That is very cool.

For water you CAN get paid to collect it, but you need an inspector to come once a year out of pocket. I'll be plugged into the grid with water, but I will still be using a rain catching-and-purification system to cut down on costs. The whole set up isn't too expensive at all, much cheaper than solar energy costs.

I haven't really thought about tiny living before I read his blog. What's cool is that it really allows him to maximize the money and time he puts into the pigs. WhiChat makes sense since while he has a multi-livestock facility the only product is pig. Everything completely revolves around the pigs. The chickens follow the pigs and just roost in the trees while the pigs eat their eggs. He plants beets and pumpkin on the well manured land used for winter shelter, but then just lets the pigs dig'em up and eat them in the fall. So he makes full use of natural processes, but never loses sight of his objective... a better tasting and marketable pig.

Yeah, it's all about priorities. Money makes what I want happen.. do I really want a huge house that I won't be in 60% of the time, and when I am it will probably be in about that same square footage anyways? Or do I want to travel the world? Less obligations and less overall costs mean less worries.. It is definitely worth the smaller space to me.

Sustainable living is more an art to me.. I am having fun experiementing with perserving foods, and cooking from scratch, and merging old methods with new innovations. Nothing tastes like homemade food.. And it makes you appreciate it all more.

So, yeah I might take a look into it. I was already considering a mobile home, but this would be much cooler and probably cheaper. I like the idea of tiny living mainly because it enables maximum investment in other things. I'm a big guy, though, so I might have to start renting a studio to make sure I wouldn't mind the confinement.

Trailers aren't that bad, the manufactured home we're getting for my parents is nicer than our house is currently! It has NO investment value though, it is literally a place to live.. but still much cheaper than rent per square footage. factoryexpodirect always has sales on new ones--they'll have 600 sq. ft ones for $22k. I really considered it until my tiny house proved to be cheaper by nearly 7k.

I'm not sure exactly how the next five years are going to go for me financially. I could make a lot of money or very little. But, I know regardless of that I can take little steps to live more sustainably and enjoy higher quality food of my own creation.

It's very inspiring to see the steps you've already taken. :)

Why thank you kindly! And thats the beauty of all of this.. An irregular income, especially one like mine, is still easily maintained. I can comfortably go to school without debts or worries. After the initial push, I'll only need to make $450 a month to afford all of my bills--housing, utilities, internet and phone services.. Thats it! and most of that is the land payment itself. Everything else is luxuries... Its either car, or transportation if I'm in another country.. If I land a decent gig somewhere for a year, I'll pay off my portion of the land and I'll ... well. Retire. :laugh: What else is there? Ill work for the sole purpose of playing.

http://www.compactappliance.com/

Some really cool devices here. Some confirmed appliances I am buying:
- Compact 6-setting dishwasher. I'll find a way to hook it up in the kitchen. It'll be the perfect size, not too much space.
- That awesome stove I saw.
- A compact fridge/freezer combo.
- Wonderwash washing device and if I can find a small portable electric washer on craigslist I'll swoop it up too
- A spin dryer
- A portable cook top, though I'm still toying with which would be speedy and energy efficient.

I'm still toying with Air conditioners and heaters.. I'd like to find a unit that does both and doesn't require duct work. My place is so small that it will be sufficiently cooled and heated with an energy efficient model of.. any sort really. Hah! So I'll need to find a smart one that can regulate itself.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh: Looking at this blog it is amazing how many ideas there are floating around.. I can't believe I've chosen something so boring in comparison! I had my heart dead-set on living in a tent-like structure for a while there...

The interior will be awesome no matter what--I have cool stuff and I'm pretty creative at decorating on a minimal budget. But I'll definitely need to snazz up the place's exterior.. I would still LOVE to have a creeky-looking crazy halloween exterior with an ultra-modern interior.. but I think I'll have to wait on that.

Interesting tool I was playing with today: The Dave Ramsey budget. He said to pick an income. I picked $10,000... I think he means for this to be a monthly thing, but I chose it for the year.

Housing - $2,500 a year for housing.
Savings - $1000
Utilities - $500
Transportation - $1000
Medical - $700

That leaves $4,300 left. For the entire year. Its an insanely small budget. Housing, for me, already goes well over that with $4,200 a year for land payments, and that is considering my house paid off. While transportation... gas alone costs double the transportation costs. Medical is right on the money if I only pay insurances and never get sick or need to attend a doctor's appointment. Utilities... $41 a month would have to cover phone/internet, electricity, and water. If the food I ate costed me $50 a week to produce, it's half of the money I have leftover. If I put anything into savings, itll only be $1000 a YEAR.. barely a month's worth of expenses, expected to last longer than a year's time.

If I was absolutely dirt poor and I could only afford $1000 a month.. Could I live comfortably? The answer is currently No. With a paid off house that creates its own electricity, collects its own water, and efficiently uses water and electricity, doing chores that are free and necessary for food like cooking from scratch and composting, and keeping a well-stocked emergency fund to cushion any blows... I could live off of $1000 a month. It is a huge difference--the difference between living comfortably on such little money and not being able to at all.

$10,000 is what I would need for bills and the cost of living ALONE. That isn't including yearly needs, personal needs, miscellaneous expenses, the money needed to do .. well.. anything interesting really. And really.. The only reason I survived without being in major debt back when I had my apartment? I had an emergency fund cushioned with 3 months worth of expenses, I nearly starved myself from working so much while not giving up school, and I had really nice neighbors and support from my family. $1000 to pay for EVERYTHING is way too little.. Every cent counts for so much, and money becomes such a heavy burden.

I enjoyed the challenge, looking back on it all.. but I never want to be in a situation where I'm scared to say something at work because if I lose the job I'm screwed. I don't want to be in a position where I cannot even do the right thing.

I miss home.. I want to be there so badly right now. But if I give up now, and decide to take a mediocre regular job and don't pay these debts off, they will haunt me.. and home won't feel like home. It'll feel like work. And I'll try to escape it.

There's a deployment to Afghanistan coming up next summer. It is possible I could jump on it.. It is a solid plan B to my search for a civilian contracting job.

Beorn

Permabanned
:laugh: Looking at this blog it is amazing how many ideas there are floating around..

I know!

I have been going back and trying to read through some of your old posts. There is so much cool stuff!

Don't be surprised if I can't resist quoting or repping super old posts.

Interesting tool I was playing with today: The Dave Ramsey budget. He said to pick an income. I picked $10,000... I think he means for this to be a monthly thing, but I chose it for the year.

Dave can be really helpful with some things and this is a pretty good idea.

You might also consider setting your budget so you pay your bills and allocate your income out of your previous month's income. This way you always have at least one month's income in your checking account. Since you're planning to live off of so little it might be a little more comfortable to see a larger amount in your checking account. I know when I did it my mind was much more at ease.

I enjoyed the challenge, looking back on it all.. but I never want to be in a situation where I'm scared to say something at work because if I lose the job I'm screwed. I don't want to be in a position where I cannot even do the right thing.

This is a BIG deal for me. My last year of school was made much more difficult by the shenanigans of school leadership. The leadership was doing horrible things and deserved to be confronted. Two of my oldest professors had long prestigious careers and had nothing to lose, but they didn't Get to their position by sticking their necks out so they remained silent. Two more professors were really good men and weren't politicians like the other two, but they had families, careers, and mortgages to worry about so they said nothing. Two of my Professors were mid-career, but despite this they were brave enough to speek truth to power in defense of students and faculty. They were instantly fired for their courageous integrity.

I don't want to be in a situation where I have to compromise my morals for the well being of my family. I want to be like the last two professors.

I still need to go back and respond to your previous comments on my last post.

For now I'll leave these two tiny houses I dig.

This a tumbleweed trailer tiny house constructed using S.I.P.s and old recovered wood.

resisedbroll011.jpg

[YOUTUBE="4QqdMODrSs8"]SIP Tiny House[/YOUTUBE]

I really like the Japanese bathroom door though I worry about the thinness of the door when guests are over.

This a Tall Man's Tiny House that's being sold for $27,000.

IMG_3253.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

More pics at: http://tinyhouseblog.com/stick-built/tall-mans-tiny-house/#more-23397

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
My emergency fund:
I decided there should be enough funds in there to cover repair costs of some of the things that may wear out within 5 years, and enough to cover expenses for 6 months. The cost of the dishwasher, laundry machines, kitchen appliances, air conditioning unit, a common set price for major vehicle repair costs, heating, and the cost of labor for a plumber and electrician. Since this is a tiny house, the set price for all of that is $4,000. 6 months worth of expenses… Considering I’m starting out on the grid entirely and moving off the grid as I can afford it, $1,200 a month is about what I’d need to cover the basics. Rounding up will cover things I didn’t think of either. $12,000 is my emergency fund goal total. The great thing about an emergency fund is it allows you to stay on target. It is MEANT to be used. You continue on the same path—and instead of shoving money into savings, you just take the time to replace your emergency fund over time. It is the backbone of any budget. My emergency fund is only going to be $1,000 starting out.. but it will grow.

Elements to keep in mind:
Things I need to keep in mind. I know I have a good builder to hire now, and depending on the costs of everything I could expand my house to 227 sq. ft. Which would rock. That’s almost double the space to work with. I also just enlisted the official help of a buddy of mine who knows a lot about foundations, concrete pumping, and building. She’s awesome like that.
Jean Insulation – Recycled, easy to work with, and non-irritating. Just as effective as fiberglass insulation.
Solar and Wind package combo – It probably won’t be enough to cover the entire house.. but it will offset the cost of electricity. It will take up a SERIOUS chunk of the house budget.. Depending on the information I find out from the guys that own the website I’m shopping at, if it turns out I can completely cover my house with a few more thousand, I will hold off on this and have it professionally installed via saving my money for a while. Having a back-up power source will be key, as well as finding an electric company that buys back power.. Keeping me on the grid in emergencies, and making me money when I have a surplus. I still have to figure out a way of setting up a smart thermostat (like the Neat one) on a small A/C unit.
Water recycling – This has been a pretty interesting subject to read up on lately. I’m still installing a water catchment and purification system, but this may be put on hold as well considering the drought in Texas. Graywater is another interesting subject, and I believe I will have a collection and purification of that as well. Another interesting point is that I’ll have 4 sinks in my house essentially. One sink specifically for laundry hook-ups, one specifically for dishwasher hook ups. It’s no different from having those hook ups in the house, except I’ll have sinks specifically for those things since they only require sinks. The other two sinks will be the normal ones—kitchen and bathroom. I could potentially not have to water my lawn or garden with this system—saving water costs tremendously and helping me be a lazy gardener  … So long as I ensure the plants can handle alkaline conditions just as much as acidic ones.
Radiant flooring – Im really playing with this idea. If I could properly heat the house through the floors and walls themselves it would eliminate the need for an extra appliance and take up no more space. We don’t really need heat all year round, Texas is more an air-conditioning area, so the system would last for a very long time. Ballpark estimates for the floors show around $1000 for the set-up. If I have to hold off on solar energy I will definitely get this installed.

Usehername

On a mission
Do you get nervous thinking of your financial commitment that sort of necessitates single living, and the potential for a significant other or possible progeny in your future?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Do you get nervous thinking of your financial commitment that sort of necessitates single living, and the potential for a significant other or possible progeny in your future?

I think I would be more nervous if it wasn't so exciting. My house will be very tiny, it is true. But I wouldn't be embarrassed by it.. I can't wait to show people my house when it is built. But It'll sleep at least 2 comfortably. My apartment of 550 sq. ft usually had 3-4 people in it at any given point in time, and it wasn't too small for all of us. Within the first year I'll have a nice outdoor area to chill at and enjoy to get some more space, within the next 3 years I'll have an entire recreational center, fully functioning farm and garden, and more space than I can handle. Between all of that, working in my father's office on the business, traveling, reading and studying and going to college? I doubt I'll be in my house any longer than I've ever been in any place I've lived in.

If I had a significant other, we'd be safe from things like debt monsters.. If we decided to live else where, my house is paid off and thus I have nothing holding me down to it. My portion of the land will be paid off within the next 2 years, and I'll be set up the same way with that. I could go to school abroad, I could rent an apartment in another city... Once I own the land and the house, I'm free financially.. I just pay for what I use, and where I use it at. If they were that adverse to living within their means and living in a small space... well.. they probably aren't my SO to begin with. :laugh: I'd rather live small so I could live large than be chained to a house that I won't use 90% of anyways. For the price of a year's worth of rent in New York City, I'll own a place I can always call home no matter what happens to me financially.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
micro.gif

THis is a picture of a small trailer they're offering for $22,000 in Seguin texas, brand new. It's 506 sq. ft. So, I played around with the picture to keep the dimensions, and cut it in half.

tinyhousemodel1-1.png

That's 250 sq. ft. Pretty close to the number I want to be at. This is about how my house's floor plan will be unless construction makes it change for some reason. I hope to have just a small storage area there near the door, and the washer and spin dryer tucked underneath the sink. The sink will be in the corner because.. honestly, I dont know what to do with corners. :laugh: The dishwasher and cleaning products right under it. Fridge in the corner area so there is counter space next to it for organizing it and cleaning it. My stove will be mounted and my hot plate will be underneath it between the sink and the fridge. That leaves all of that counter space there for storage, prep, and eating. Im going to just set up a pop-out table for guests.

I had a dream last night about some of my friends and I sitting at a small table in my house while it was cold outside, and we were eating some traditional Japanese shabu shabu.. cooking the pieces in the broth, and whatnot, and having mild conversation. It was a really nice dream. But more importantly, the setting was my house. This house. The one I tried to draw. Its wonderful.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The boxy lines of the fridge had me thinking for a moment if they had invented a small corner-shaped fridge freezer combo.. Alas, that isn't a big trend right now, and while they have them they're stupid expensive for a fridge. Fridge drawers are quite sleek and go well with a small home design, but again the expense makes them hardly worth it.

Permabanned
The boxy lines of the fridge had me thinking for a moment if they had invented a small corner-shaped fridge freezer combo.. Alas, that isn't a big trend right now, and while they have them they're stupid expensive for a fridge. Fridge drawers are quite sleek and go well with a small home design, but again the expense makes them hardly worth it.
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7G8g6TktA"]How patient are you[/YOUTUBE]

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ The cost of the kit still far exceeds the amounts I'm looking at spending for exteriors. Though in their defense they seem a LOT easier and look pretty good. But $5,000 and I don't even get to pick where the windows, doors, and such go? For the same price I could have exactly what I want.. But the link is still pretty cool.

I've been thinking.. if I build a square shape, 15x15.1215 (It gives me precisely 227 sq. ft.. I know it's a really odd measurement, and one that I will probably have to round off, but I'd like to give it an effort first. I'm still going to say it's 227 either way lol!) with four steel beams in concrete foundation for support.. (I was avoiding concrete.. but if I got radiant flooring I think having concrete would help with that..) and a metal roof, I wouldn't have to worry about shingles, and I certainly wouldn't have to worry about the supports ever running bad. Repairs to the house wouldn't be costly at all if I added those two elements to it. Since it's small and square, I think four support beams would be all I needed. A higher pitch to my roof would mean more space inside on the small storage loft, but it would also mean less exposure for solar panels on the roof.

I may be getting my entire bonus in April too, instead of a chunk of it. If I did, that'd be absolutely amazing. I could build a good portion of our outdoor kitchen by april. :)

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Appliances I have pretty much set my heart on:

http://www.compactappliance.com/Edg...r-Conditioner-Black/AP14001HS,default,pd.html

Its a heater, A/C unit powerful enough for up to 500 sq. ft, and a dehumidifier unit you don't need to empty by hand.. all in one. And the price is right for combining all three appliances into a single application.

http://www.compactappliance.com/Ava...html?cgid=Appliances-Laundry-Portable_Washers

Fully automatic, small enough (I think!) to slide underneath my sink when not in use. A spin dryer will accompany it.

http://www.compactappliance.com/Air...nd-Purifier-ONIX3000/ONIX3000,default,pd.html

Small air purifier thats safe and can be tucked out of the way. Best of all, no filters to clean or change.

The advantium stove I was eyeing--I have decided on it for sure. It is a splurge, but microwaving, food warming, cooking options, and conventional and speed oven cooking are all available in a unit that also doubles as a range vent for my cook top? Perfect and worth it.

Two hot plates -- I think induction ones for the energy savings, an electric skillet, a griddle, and a slow cooker will give me plenty of cooking options without it seeming small--I can customize my cooking surfaces as needed without taking up extra space. A cabinet will keep it all tucked neatly away when not in use. I'm also getting a hot pot cooking bowl. I know it's pretty specific and japanese in nature, but I can't help but fall in love with those.

The portable dishwasher I've featured before will of course be present.

I am unsure of my fridge yet--there are some slim, small, tall fridges for a pretty penny.. There are also some small apartment fridges that may be too small for the amount of cooking I do. It all depends. I plan on having a fridge/freezer combo, I need a freezer to store foods.. So I may end up splurging on a bigger fridge model than I originally anticipated. We'll see though.

I am seriously considering a kotatsu for my coffee table. I could see a lot of fun in that while it still serving a purpose all year round--a coffee table (something I use frequently in a house), a desk, a warm place to eat during winter, and a proper kitchen table if I so need one.

The composter I featured will sit just outside my door.

My sink in the bathroom will be a waterfall style sink, but the sink itself will be one of these from Ikea:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20148331/

That series is pretty reasonably priced, but the sink itself is huge! Those little shelves can hold the essentials, removing the need for extra counter space, I can hang the toilet paper off the side there, and a medicine cabinet and some corner shelving will be plenty of storage for my toiletries.

Am I forgetting anything now? :laugh: What a crazy list.. It seems like a lot of stuff to start this up, and some of the expenses unnecessary--but they are. Part of living in this small space is not FEELING like Im living small. I'm not doing this solely because Im strapped for cash.. Im doing this because I like the movement, and I think it makes sense. But I still want this place to feel luxurious and a dreamy place to come home to.. nevermind the huge amount of floor space is missing.. Having warm floors in the winter, a beautiful sink and shower to wash in, and a kitchen where I can cook whatever I want are essential things. They don't need to be BIG, but they need to be there. Living small is affording the things you desire.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Appliance round up and prices.

Edgestar A/C, Heating, and Dehumidifying abilities. $500.
Airfree air purifier. $300.
Koldfront 6 place setting dishwasher. $240.
Danby Bottom mount fridge stainless steel look. $535.
Hot plates. $120.
Electric skillet. $50.
Griddle. Free since I already have one.
Advantium Oven. $1400.

Total already: $3,165. That's fairly over budget considering I need to squeeze in two sinks, faucets, a shower head and a toilet, and laundry containers. Really cutting the budget close on this one.