User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ That book is pretty awesome, I added it to my wishlist on amazon
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Have you ever considered LEGOs? I have tons and I'm sure I could make you something tiny for dirt cheap.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Wow this is fantastic and inspiring.

It's totally like something my ESFJ sister would do, is all I can keep thinking.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I thought of compartmentalizing the house today. If I plan it accordingly, $30k would buy me the basis of my hobbit home, and everything I *need* with little extra.. I could with careful planning and engineering, expand upon the house as time and money permits. This would coincide with my values of not being in debt while still affording me the house I dream of without a transitional unit.

I'm still debating how to do it. I need more information on my hobbit house, and how much it will cost me to engineer and build.. A transitional unit is simple, and quick to put up and take down.. but would my money best be spent on something I *can* easily live in without that being my goal at all? Or would starting my goal, even if it's habitable but not complete in any way, be sufficient?

Is a transitional house (something you live in for no more than 5 years) worth it? And would I resign and notice that I am perfectly content with a small transitional house that isn't so aesthetically pleasing to me? Is that concept in the last question even a bad thing?

Those are questions that ran through my head today at work. How important are aesthetics to me? What is the point of the goal of this house? Is it fulfilling a childhood dream of owning something funky and uniquely my own, a place that is unmistakably my space? Or am I wrapped up in the aesthetics of it all and fretting over things that don't really matter in the end?

If my hobbit house proves to cost an absurd amount to even kick-start, the answers to these questions will be a much simpler, "it doesn't matter, I can't afford it and I'm getting x."

So my plan currently is.. Seek out an architect and contractor that can create this dream in my head and give me a price on making it a reality step by step.. But settle down on a good, solid "plan B--no shit, I'm going to do this and it'll work for sure" alternative.

I'll go through all the data I collected and determine prices, sizes, accommodations, pros and cons, and unique features of each of the options I've been collecting since the beginning of this, and settle on my alternative for my transitional house, in case my hobbit home is out of my reach. Something that'll make me happy and that will function.

I'm happy to report that financially, everything is trucking along just fine and on schedule. My plans have gone more than smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    Have you ever considered LEGOs? I have tons and I'm sure I could make you something tiny for dirt cheap.
    At least I'd have a foundation on how to build it all with legos!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Wow this is fantastic and inspiring.

It's totally like something my ESFJ sister would do, is all I can keep thinking.
    Why thank you. Hopefully within a year's time from now you'll get to see the fruits of all of this labor.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Why thank you darling! I love especially that second picture!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

OMG GUYS.

So it just came to me.

I've been trying to work out this whole thing--transitional housing unit, blah blah blah.. need a place to store myself, it has to be decent, I can live in a small space, blah blah..

Why don't I just live in my fucking shed until I build the rest of my house under it?!! If I lay out the very basics of foundations that I'll need for my hobbit house, I can live in that shed and build it as needed! It would totally work! The shed would be cramped, granted, but it can double as a guest room AND storage AND it will be attached to the rest of my soon to be house?! It's perfect!!

TY Soooo very much for the post on the small quirky shack!! I can DEFINITELY build that and the foundations for $30k, and have just enough to live semi-comfortably. A small wet-bath, and just enough kitchen space to cook basic things.. Omg it is so perfect!

It'll work, it's cost effective, the space will STILL BE USED (one of my big concerns) even when my hobbit house is well into the works, and it is multi-functional! I think I found it, guys.

- Quirky shed home
    - Hobbit house foundations beneath it, with the rest worked on as I go
    - I ROCK!! And so do ya'll for posting ideas and keeping this thread alive with me.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So the idea is to have a small utility room built with the capability to support my tiny house on top of it. Sort of like a basement, only my house is technically the second floor. The hill could be created enough so that you can walk up to the tiny house as if it were a first story, up on the hill there, with the utility room access being a smaller door underneath and a trap door from the tiny house. Utility room will have a washer/dryer combo unit in it to start with, but also as storage and as a mud room, since that'll be its purpose as part of my hobbit house. I like the idea of my tiny house looking like the actual residence at first glance as well. Stairs leading up to the house, and a small small porch way to block off some of the rain there as well.

Inside, I'd like it to be very much-so like the design Katsu drew for me that I have posted on page 1. If I can't do a loft I'd be okay with that, I could make it work with a bed on the floor just as easily. Or maybe even throw down for a japanese futon that tucks away.

I love this image.

I want the place to be just barely (as in 1 sq. ft. within) building codes for a secondary house. I think you don't need a building permit for houses like that, and since my parents house will be on the property, if I keep within the regulations it might be one less headache for myself.

My current furniture will just go to my sister, since she'll need furniture when we move anyways. It was only $600 for everything, gotta love Ikea, and we've gotten 5 years of use out of it so far with nothing broken.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Hobbit is right when you look at that chair. Looks like kindergarten size. You must be on the shorter side.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Potential bed.

Flooring.

Though not this big, a good example of a wet bath option for me.

Not really related, but jeezus is it cool or what?!