• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kyu's Tiny House Blog

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Tomorrow Im calling a website that may be offering an Advantium oven for less than a 3rd of the price. I just have a question on one feature of it.. It'd be awesome to knock a good chunk of that price off.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
i think i might build my own micro house

You should! I've been having a blast planning the whole thing out..

Talked to the company today, they were SUPER sweet and helpful. They understood my situation and theyre working with me so that I can order several things from their site in a way where it will ship once I NEED it items instead of immediately after I purchase them. They can delay the shipment for me, which REALLY rocks. <3 I was a bit nervous to call them but they were AMAZINGLY helpful. Just another reason to like Colorado for me. :)

They're going to keep me posted and put aside a white advantium over-the-range oven.. It'll be amazing, match my kitchen, and its exactly what I want for less than half the price!! <3 <3 <3 AND theyre going to give me discounts if I order more things through them, so Im going to look through their inventories for the other household products I was looking at.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
fairytale-cottages-main.jpg

Just some lovely inspirational houses.

Derek-Diedricksen-houses5-550x309.jpg

Less than $200 for him to build that.. I thought, what an AWESOME teeny micro house! Two immediate uses came to mind:
1. Install a small dog-house heater and you have a year-round comfy home for your pet to be in. Windows in the walls to see outside still, shelter from the wind and rain, and a small heater made for dog houses would mean cozy and warm in the winter too.
2. Put it out in some trees far from the house but still just barely in sight, and kids can go camping in it at night. See the stars or watch the rain on the roof itself while using a flashlight for light.. Build a couple sammiches, throw them out the door and tell them they cant come back till morning. :laugh:

Im totally going to throw it in on one of my "Get rid of house building scraps" mini project lists.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I absolutely fell in love with the layout of a 1,600 sq ft beach house featured in a House Beautiful magazine I got for free on the amazon kindle. I fell in love with the kitchen window that opened right up to the outside (like two french doors) and there was a small bar-top window sill outside of it and stool underneath.

My colors for my house are pretty simple and plain for the most part. White, light wooden flooring, gray and white furniture, Im unsure of the counter top colors, but red will pop around here and there to give a splash of my favorite color :yes: I think I may paint on the walls if I get bored. Also I need to find a way to sneak in a fold-down desk into my house. maybe in the bookshelf area so that I can have books right there.

The new ikea catalog is out. :heart:

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
*has been stalking thread*'

I like the color scheme idea. :eek: Red is always the coolest with bright, neutral colors.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
*has been stalking thread*'

I like the color scheme idea. :eek: Red is always the coolest with bright, neutral colors.

:) Why thank you kindly. I just love the white/cool gray/light wooden floors thing. Its modern, a bit zen-like, and it opens up a space.. It reminds me of the beach too, which I love. The walls will probably get painted all over by me as I get time to do it. I was thinking probably like.. red chairs, a red desk, things like that just to break up the serenity a bit. I need a bit of chaos in my life.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
The sort of tile I think will be perfect in the bathroom:

Creme_Linen.jpg

Its really zoomed in, but the lines are more texture than color. Its a linen tile, soft and easy to clean but just enough texture to not be slippery and it looks really classy.

I already own the cabinetry for the bathroom, its currently being used in my parent's bathroom of our current house. A small tall cabinet, white in color, perfect.

vladimir-fridman-waterfall-sink.jpg

Not buying it, but its fantastic.

Okay! Color scheme.. Imagine the furniture a light heather gray instead of all white, and add hints of red.

Ikeainspiration.png

futurejacuzzi.jpg

Again, not doing this.. but it IS amazingly beautiful.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-make-an-indoor-window-box-174307

:heart: A lovely arrangement that wouldnt require maintenance besides an occasional washing down. It would give me a place to put all the quirky bottles I collect too. When I was a teenager, I used to envision a hedgewitch functional kitchen--with quirky crazy bottles holding ingredients hanging everywhere. It would set a romantic tone for a nice dinner outdoors as well. I think I will have a pop-up gazebo next to the house so I can relax. I won't have money for a porch or anything--that's all going towards the outdoor rec center.. but a small pop-up gazebo I could afford.

outdoor-garden-gazebo.jpg

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/whats-the-flaw-with-this-master-bathroom-idea-good-questions-174807

This master bath question is using the same concept I am.. And its amazing how much you can tell the American reactions VS people who are well traveled/in other countries. The latter thinking "Yeah, thats not a big deal, just waterproof the whole room. People do this all the time." Americans? "Omg I had to squeegee everything constantly, there was so much humidity, blah blah blah.." You don't really take long, uninterupted showers in showers like these. You turn the water off to conserve it while washing, or use a small rinsing basin between shower rinses. The American posters were worried about things like getting the toilet wet?? Its a toilet! Its made to be waterproof! :doh: This is the design I used in Uganda, no walls, no curtains.. Its easy to install a privacy curtain or something like that, but the truth is you don't really need any of it. You just don't. need. it.

The answer to the guy's question is there is no flaw--Americans are adjusted to doing what they like to do and don't really venture much out into new ideas. The housing market is a wreck anyways. I don't understand all this advice on "Don't install this quirky thing because no one will buy your house!". People will buy if they need/desire to buy, quirky or not. Build what you want and Live in your house, don't just occupy it. Sure, no one will buy a 250 sq. ft house. But someone will buy a 250 sq. ft. office with a working bathroom and kitchenette and plop a house next to it. People find a way to make things work for them when they need it.

I thought this was really awesome, it probably belongs in my minimalist thread, but I'll stick it here.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/weekend-project-magnetic-makeup-board-175086

Basically step 1. Make something magnetic like a piece of metal pretty and stick it in a frame. Or put a frame around something magnetic already and add some style to it. step 2. Put magnets on the bottom of your make up pieces. Step 3. Stick them to the wall instead of having it all crowd a drawer or be shoved into a bag. I don't own much make up, but this is REALLY awesome and i think I will implement it one of those days after I build.

I had a bigger post but Typc deleted it -.- jerks.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I love this thread!!!! I like the makeup idea.

We are moving everyone around in our house. We just got a smaller room and gave the upstairs to my kids. I realized I had a big room I was using for us to sleep in and storage. Now it's a bedroom play area. I think I'm going to get a big armoire to use for us and we should be fine.

I'm getting rid of so much stuff. It's so freeing.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
[MENTION=8457]gasoline[/MENTION] Being a fellow lurker :D Feel free.. but feel free to contribute too :)

I love this thread!!!! I like the makeup idea.

We are moving everyone around in our house. We just got a smaller room and gave the upstairs to my kids. I realized I had a big room I was using for us to sleep in and storage. Now it's a bedroom play area. I think I'm going to get a big armoire to use for us and we should be fine.

I'm getting rid of so much stuff. It's so freeing.

Thats awesome of ya'll to give them a place to be and play! We didn't have room growing up for it, I always just got thrown outside :laugh: I always ended up visiting my friends' house (to the point of half-way living there sometimes ;) ) because they had an entire upstairs dedicated to them.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Rly kewl pichrz

So I'd like to reaffirm my love for both this thread and tiny houses.

toronto-smallest-house.jpg

My personal favorite. :wubbie:

When I was fifteen/sixteen, I was an uber minimalist and a utilitarian. I had a desk, a futon, a dresser, a painting for some flavor, and a small square shelf on my wall. It was like heaven, and there was so much free space. My mom was sort of concerned, since it was practically an office with the futon I used, but I thought it was the shit. :laugh:

I wish I still had the picture, but it's long since gone.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So I'd like to reaffirm my love for both this thread and tiny houses.

My personal favorite. :wubbie:

When I was fifteen/sixteen, I was an uber minimalist and a utilitarian. I had a desk, a futon, a dresser, a painting for some flavor, and a small square shelf on my wall. It was like heaven, and there was so much free space. My mom was sort of concerned, since it was practically an office with the futon I used, but I thought it was the shit. :laugh:

I wish I still had the picture, but it's long since gone.[/QUOTE]

That's absolutely amazing. I'm not a minimalist, but I strive for the ideals behind it. I'm thinking it will be impossible to pull off this house without maintaining some minimalist standards.. I'm hoping a mixture of multi-functional appliances and furniture, dedicated areas for everything, and actually putting some things to use that I used to just let act pretty in a box somewhere will help relieve a lot of the clutter I used to collect and keep me from gaining much more.

An office is an interesting concept for me.. I've been working on turning my life digital with all but the absolute essentials, and the last few legs of this will be worked on at home, but if I have an office/study desk area it will have to be super tiny and built into something else or out of something else..
I'm also considering removing the ikea-wall and just having the closet span across the actual structural wall with a curtain over it, and a credenza/couch table running along to the door.. If I can store things on a loft on top of my bathroom this will happen for sure to allow myself more floor space. I'm trying to figure out how I can play things like Kinect, Nintendo Wii, and do work out DVDs within the house without having to move a ton of furniture around.. Challenge for me. :3

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Ive been working with the idea of creating space to play Kinect and Wii..

Currently the couch has the loft bed on top, and up against the east wall, the TV mounted on the bathroom wall across from it. If I put the couch in the middle of the space, and the loft over the TV and set the TV on the north wall.. it COULD work. Since Im not putting the ikea-style wall in anymore. It would also create a space to put a desk behind the couch itself, or to use as an eating space in lieu of a kitchen table. It also frees up the walls flanking the TV for storage space, bookshelves, and snowboards to hang. It wouldn't give me as open of a floor plan, but it would make the floor that is open more useful since I tend to do a lot of playing around.. The kotatsu can still go in the middle and be shoved aside for games and working out, it'll be light enough.

http://www.treehugger.com/sustainab...new-more-making-the-most-of-small-spaces.html

I was looking at this for inspiration when I was thinking about it. As much as I love the concept, literally an entire room's worth of stuff packed into a single corner.. I don't think I'll have the money to hire a carpenter to create it for me. It'd be really awesome to have a 'loft' bed and desk like this, with the closet hidden away so it can double as a changing room.. I'll have to play around with the dimensions one day when I have time.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
mon, i'm in a tiny house right now.
with 10 people.

can i advise you to get a mansion instead?
with a wood fire hot tub.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh: No no, I'm afraid you can advise all you want and my mind will still be set quite firmly. I couldn't afford a mansion even if I wanted one.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Still working on the mechanics of everything.. Trying to get everything to fit well.. Or better, I should say.. There are some major flaws I am coming across.. and I need to fix them. :/

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So, I'm curious, and I'm sure you've planned for it. Is there room for a second person in your tiny house, or will have to build his own tiny house next door?

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
So, I'm curious, and I'm sure you've planned for it. Is there room for a second person in your tiny house, or will have to build his own tiny house next door?

:laugh: The hope is that it will be big enough to comfortably settle two people in--although if they own a lot of stuff it may get a bit cramped. This is actually one of the details I was trying to account for.. Ive been playing with some software to see actual dimensions and play with the ideas. The original plan was, "This is the money I've got, so this is what's going into it and thats it." But now I've realized I may have a bit more wiggle room with my buget than originally thought.. so I could spend a bit more upfront and get a slightly bigger space in exchange.

The option of having a real bed instead of a loft is being considered on top of other ideas. If a real bed is created, then I could sleep 4 in my house though only two could live in it for an extended period of time.