User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Chin-up bar for getting into bed. I'm sure a roll-up ladder common to forts would work, too. Creates lots of space below.

Are you using pinterest to collect your ideas, btw? it's the most organized place to do so.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

I'm not sure what sort of construction material restrictions this would warrant, but when I was looking at NYC apartments, I saw a small apartment I really liked that had a murphy bed. You don't see those much any more.

A trundle bed could be an option if the wall material can't support it.

What a great project K!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've been debating switching around my entire plans..

I've been thinking about maybe buying the land all first, and saying forget my home entirely.

the more I think on it, the more I feel like laying a solid foundation is what my parents need more than anything else. Paying off the land and buying a small mobile home would be more than enough for me to get started on. Living in this CLU (a 6x6 space is what I live in currently..) has made me realize how little space I truly need, and that my priority.. what I'm doing all of this for.. is for my parents and myself to have a foundation. Our family needs stability, it is something we haven't seen in all our years that I can remember. Buying my side of the land, and maybe a smaller plot in another city.. I could buy a tiny house in the form of a simple mobile home that I could have paid off in a couple years since they're the price of a car for the smaller ones. It was my original plan.. I think I got side tracked because I wanted something beautiful.. But..

If I get a smaller plot in another city.. I can move this tiny mobile home there, and I'll have a second home to get away from people with.. and I happen to like having multiple places to call home. I always have. It keeps me close with my family, the ability to easily get away when I need to. Either way, the land is the most important thing right now. I've decided that much. I can live where ever I need to live to make things work..

http://www.factoryexpodirect.com/ev1.asp

This is an example. Its small, and affordable at 22,000 brand new, but they have WAY better sales during christmas time when I get home..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

Chin-up bar for getting into bed. I'm sure a roll-up ladder common to forts would work, too. Creates lots of space below.

Are you using pinterest to collect your ideas, btw? it's the most organized place to do so.
    I'm gonna get my ass kicked for this, but I am sincerely asking: Where is the bathroom?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

@Usehername I absolutely am in love with that picture you posted on here. The loft is so spacious and the mono-white decor <3 <3

@The Ü I took it for a serious question, I think the angle of the picture leaves out the rest of the house behind it, the bathroom and common room are probably there.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The Tally's running..

Pacific Yurts - $16k for a solid foundation and home exterior built to last.
    Rainier Yurts - $17k for a basic model.
    Geo-Desic Dome - Around a couple more k than a yurt for it..
    Simple Mobile home - $22,000 for a basic, small model.

The newest thing I've found from tinyhouseblog.com?
    http://www.wooden-wonders.com/products.html

They're way too expensive, but I found them so charming and awfully adorable.. I feel like maybe I could get a small one in the future for storage Or maybe even the chicken coop..

Also, can I say I am in love?!!
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7665756&type=3

These pictures are so incredible!!

.. Sometimes I look at tiny houses and get super confused.. I can understand Tokyo, or Hawaii having expensive small places. But Wyoming?
    http://tinyhouseblog.com/park-model-...in/#more-22245

$75k for a house that small? No doubt they splurged in some areas that could be heavily saved upon, but still..

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Wow, those are very cool, I like that Gothicy looking one. Oh, I remember I had checked a book out once that might have a concept that might interest you, about a guy and his wife who had built their own house out of stone. I think they lived out east where they could pretty much just find stones, roll them back, dress them and put it into place and repeat. People can accomplish similar things with cob, adobe, lightweight CMU, and to a lesser extent strawbales. Strawbales have to be put together and 'sealed' very rapidly before the moisture gets to them.

Of course, just buying something is probably the fastest and less backbreaking way of getting the job done.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ I was trying to do a hybrid and buy a package and build it myself, but the more I'm looking at it, for the money I can't avoid buying a simple trailer. I'd really enjoy a more futuristic dome home though, and I think I'd continue to dwell in such a place even after I build my large hobbit-home.

http://tiny-themovie.com/partners/

My name is listed as a sponsor on that site, the movie is set to come out this year. I can't wait.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

A couple things.

1. Back to basics! These are my requirements:
    - I don't want a concrete foundation.
    - I need the house to be entirely built for under $30k. I'd prefer a $20k house.
    - I need to be able to build this myself.
    - City of Houston standards are a ceiling of at least 7 ft tall, and a room of at least 7 feet wide

..From post one. I still need something where the foundation can be simple and inexpensive. I still have around a $30k budget. I still need to be able to assemble this myself. And I still need to be within city code standards.

So far, the only buildings to semi-meet my needs are the simple trailer home, and the semi-quirky yurts and domes. I'm sure I could find a contractor that could build a small cabin-like home for around $10-12k.

I'm still in the back of my head trying to figure out the price of building that hobbit home of mine. The more I think on it, the more I thin k it's possible to have that AS my first home. It took that guy $3k.. Even if I don't have the knowledge and power he does, I still think I could build a house like that for 30-40k. Bigger than his, and more modern, less nature-friendly since that isn't the purpose of my home.. and most of all, mine.

What I'm picturing:
    - A more magnificent front. I want a large door, something that I can walk into with ease, taller people would need to stoop slightly to enter. I require this since it won't have a hobbit feel if tall people could easily walk in and out. I'd need a porch area leading up to the door, and the gardening would be up to me.
    - An open, awesome view of the ceiling. I am going to keep that amazing spiral ceiling although I am going to seal all of the wood instead of using raw exposed wood (I want this thing lasting.. and not being prone to insects and moisture.)
    - Im unsure of how to work the areas I want yet. I need a kitchen, living area, dining area all in that vicinity.. I dont want to clutter the platform, so I think I'll use it as either the kitchen and eating area, or the guest area and leave the entire bottom portion to it.
    - I want off-shoots for room. A small storage closet, and a small guest latrine half bath. A nice decent-sized room, and office, with the master bath connecting them in the back areas. I'd like to be able to crawl out windows of those two to the roof-top. I want an outdoor seating area of some sort on the roof in the back area.. Im not sure how to work all of that yet.

Anyways I'd need to find an architect and make some legit plans for this house, and then a contractor that knows his industry well enough to make this happen for me. Also, preferably for the guy to be a nerd so attention to the RIGHT details is there. If the guy has never heard of LotR, chances are he isnt going to know what materials inspire it.

It seems like a daunting task.. Anyways.

If I get a yurt OR a dome, the layout will be the same.
    - Get a carpenter to build me a custom loft/closet bedding system. Bed on top with curtains for privacy, closet underneath it all, with a small studio desk offshoot for computing and drawing.
    - A small loft above for more storage options
    - An open kitchen area along one of the walls, with storage all behind it curtained up and out of sight out of mind.
    - Living room area open as well.
    - Bathroom blending in at the end of the kitchen.. Completely waterproofed room, all tile with a military-style showering area.
    - Flank the outside of the bedding walls with bookshelves for my library of books and storage items.

Ive been trying to look more into container house units, but finding real viable information and not just "omg look at my containhousegaizlol!" pictures is difficult.

2. Locating the land.

I still need to pick a place to live. I want to stay in close proximity to Houston. Places I find to be viable options:
    - Deer park
    - Dyersdale
    - The Woodlands area
    - Egypt (not the country lol)
    - Coldspring (only if we get a lake-side property or something damn close to it)
    - Harmaston
    - Huffman, again if we could get lake-side
    - Mantu
    - Channelview

Dyersdale is an area I wouldnt mind at all.

I found a BEAUTIFUL lot on paper.. the price is right, the acres are at our lowest area, and it's a really good location.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Enjoyed your update.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I found a BEAUTIFUL lot on paper.. the price is right, the acres are at our lowest area, and it's a really good location.
    Should I be telling you "GO FOR IT!"
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching