User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Especially around here, we have a lot of people that stand infront of home depot waiting for some kind of work to be paid for.. so it'd be easy to round up a team.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I was looking at this more.. How amazing is this thing?

http://bioenergydome.wordpress.com/b...o-reservation/

Electricity and power, fresh vegetables, and fish, and it's all completely self-sustaining.. an hour a day to keep it running.Pretty sweet.

I requested some information from the website I posted earlier on their shelters, so we'll see what they have to say regarding these structures. The walls and ceiling would be much taller and more suitable for a loft area though.. But I haven't seen a price tag at all, so I'm still fairly wary. Also, I haven't seen anything much on insulation, though there are pictures of these things in deep snows, and articles about them being set up for disaster relief in Honduras, which is a very tropical climate.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've been reading a lot about Aquaponics, the way duckweed burns for energy, and the bioenergy domes they have at pacific domes...

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/103140310

This article was amazingly helpful. $15,000 to build a bioenergy dome that's backyard sized, and it puts out around 5,000 Kw... That would be cheaper than installing a solar panel system, and seeing as the average american household uses 10,000 kw/yr, and Id be by myself, it'd be more than enough. I may have just found an awesome energy source that's off-the-grid and self-sustaining. Really awesome stuff.

I've all but had my heart set lately on something new and exciting... These domes from pacific domes are open, taller ceilings than the yurts, for slighty more per square foot so the loft would be much cozier, and I wouldn't need a concrete foundation.. I could still use my deck idea.. There'd be way more square footage for the price than any of the model homes and plans I've seen thus far.. I can't seem to beat it. I watched a youtube video where they showed off how windy it was where they lived, and how loud the wind was... and then when they went into the dome, it was silent. Pretty cool stuff. I like how durable it is as well.
    While I am still keeping my mind open and eyes peeled, as that's exactly what led me up to this point...

I think I might have found my tiny home, guys.

MBTI
    INtP

That seems like a pretty great idea, if it works out long-term. I take it that the "biodome" isn't so much a living area as a greenhouse/powerplant? I'd be a bit nervous about sleeping somewhere that receives the CO2 output from a methane burning generator (I'm assuming that I simply missed something here). And a household-sized dome that produces that many vegetables and fish sounds like a pretty decent garden, too. Even if an hour a day does sound like a fair amount of work, it's probably pretty healthy food, too.

How "self-sustaining" is it? They seem to say that things like mucking fish poo out of it isn't a major deal, but the devil's in the details on this sort of thing, I think :p. Very cool idea!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    That seems like a pretty great idea, if it works out long-term. I take it that the "biodome" isn't so much a living area as a greenhouse/powerplant? I'd be a bit nervous about sleeping somewhere that receives the CO2 output from a methane burning generator (I'm assuming that I simply missed something here). And a household-sized dome that produces that many vegetables and fish sounds like a pretty decent garden, too. Even if an hour a day does sound like a fair amount of work, it's probably pretty healthy food, too.

How "self-sustaining" is it? They seem to say that things like mucking fish poo out of it isn't a major deal, but the devil's in the details on this sort of thing, I think :p. Very cool idea!
    Yes, it would definitely be an entirely separate dome.. Dedicated to duckweed burning, but I am getting the impression an aquaponics system can reside inside the very same dome.

Articles state that the larger commercial aquaponic systems require an hour of maintenance a day, so I can't see a family-sized unit being nearly that much work.. pop in for 10-20 minutes a day, do some maintenance, and have a decent garden and supply of fresh fish. (Although, I'll have to figure out how to prepare fish for eating now )

According to the aquaponic system articles I've read, the fish poo acts as fertilizer for the plants.. this is a soiless garden, so it works a bit differently. I think the chores would involve keeping the system running and clean, harvesting plants, replacing plants that are dying for whatever reason, controlling the populations, etc. There's still many questions I have on the whole thing, but I'm hoping to attend some classes or workshops on it when I return. It'll be a fun adventure too.

From what I gather, the process of producing electricity via duckweed burning is entirely separate and different from the aquaponics system.. though I could see the water being connected somehow. Many questions still.. but it's definitely something I'll be looking hard into over the next year, and especially when I return.

But no! I won't live in a garden Though I suppose I could plant a few aerogardens in my house, my dome will be my own living space.

MBTI
    ISTx

This is awesome! I will be back to read through the thread soon.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Tiny house blog featured these

http://www.mighty-shed.com/index.php

... As awesome as they look, and the price is perfect at $7500 for the larger version, they'd be PERFECT.... Except... It's $2.00 a mile outside of 30 miles.. the company is located in WA. I'm in TX. That's 2380 miles away, roughly. Meaning it'd cost nearly the price of the house just to ship the damn thing.. $12,260 total for just the exterior of the house at 192 sq. ft.. For 5k more I get more than 3x that square footage with a dome, or 150 more sq. ft with a sportin' cabin. And it's still $63 a sq. foot.. a steep price for such a small structure.

The website, however, gave me an important idea.. With my parents having a large modular home on the land..

Did you know your local county building authority allows accessory
    buildings to be constructed with out a permit. The most common size max. is 200 sq.ft.(12x16) as dictated by the International Building Code. 12'x16’ structures come in under the 200 sq.ft. threshold allowing you the ability to have a large multi purpose structure constructed in your back yard or on your vacation property. Some areas allow more. Most people do not realize that they are allowed this benefit. Mighty Cabanas & Sheds can show you how to take advantage of this opportunity to broaden your lifestyle.
    Not needing a building permit may be an interesting incentive to pay more per square foot, but it depends entirely on how much of a hassle getting my dome will actually be. We'll see..

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

My mother came in and started looking around at all of the things I had sprawled out in my room.

"What's this?" 'Ah.. A chai set from Iraq..' "Still in the box?" 'I need a hutch to put it in first, you know, before I can get rid of the box..'
    "What about these?" 'I love those lights, I want to set them out along the inside of my house as cool funky lighting.'
    "And this? How come you never use this?" 'I suppose I just don't have the capacity for it here.. If I have a table to set it on, I'd certainly use it.'
    "And why is that there? Doesn't that go outside?" 'Originally.. I'm re-purposing it as a recipe book stand.'
    "Well, it looks like the only thing you're missing is the house.."

And I realized.. And maybe a bit of this is just romantic christmas-spirit.. but all of these funky tapestries, all of these unique items, and mis-matched wares....

I'm trying to create a little bit of magic, and energy, slowly collecting things throughout the years so that I can put it all together into a place I can be proud to call my home.. not the empty, crowded bachelor pads I've been living in my whole life.

These things speak to me. I picture them in my house.. and while they're crowded, and useless, and overbearing in this small space.. my home will need little to be mine.
    - A full bookcase to house my mini-library.
    - An outdoor tome stand with page weights for recipes.
    - Hand-dyed and printed tapestries much larger than one room could contain to act as privacy curtains and walls.
    - My chai set and the dinner set my grandfather sent from Japan during the Korean war.
    - The glass chess set my grandmother gave me one year for christmas.
    - My costumes and scrap book pieces that would be used if I had the space to keep projects open on for longer than a week or two.
    - My huge blank canvas and the easel I bought for SUPER cheap that I had intended to paint the folklore lighthouse on...

MBTI
    INTP

Check this out, kyuuei! Thought of you when I saw this article today: http://news.yahoo.com/woman-ditches-...150808977.html
    Something Witty

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Check this out, kyuuei! Thought of you when I saw this article today: http://news.yahoo.com/woman-ditches-...150808977.html
    That woman just looks so happy.. and her house looks equally as happy!

Exploring monolithic dome homes as opposed to Geodesic.. Keeping an open mind on possibilities.
    There's a lot being written about as far as maintenance.. I'd like to have a place very low maintenance just so that when I build my next home, it is something I can focus on.. Also, the possibility of having decent square footage means I could possibly rent out the smaller home in the future.

I'm unsure of the prices on this one.. but this is a dome-style structure that apparently is extremely durable.

http://cbsstructures.com/index.html

The way it's set up and built is fairly easy as well. I was led there by these links:
    http://www.i-domehouse.com/index.html
    http://tinyhouseblog.com/pre-fab/int...l-dome-houses/
    http://www.domeliving.com/

I was watching a video that said that housing should cost around $100-$125 a week per 1-2 people... I was thinking about how most rent for anything decent in Texas is about $550-800 a month easily..

http://www.monolithic.com/topics/faq

This place is in my state.. which could be extremely beneficial to me when it comes to shipping costs.. Just a thought. I still like the idea of the pre-fabricated structure..

The fun pictures here are of a dome buried underground: http://www.monolithic.com/stories/th...ible-dome-home The murals on the walls are really awesome.

http://www.monolithic.com/topics/professionals-lists This place has a lot of lists about dome-friendly lenders, professionals, etc. Which is pretty cool..

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/feature-home-doah This dome home is absolutely gorgeous and mouth-watering.. Way too pricy but its nice to look!

This checklist, obviously tailored to their website and products, is still a really good thing to go by..
    http://www.monolithic.com/stories/st...tion-checklist

•Land Acquisition – If you don’t have land, the easiest way to find it is through a real estate agency, land broker, developer, or lending institution operating in the area you wish to live.
    •Feasibility Study – It’s a detailed report including a floor plan with elevations, notes and basic cost estimates. We go back and forth until our design and your desires match.
    •Constructions Drawings – These are the drawings necessary for contractors to construct the Monolithic Dome and required subsystems (plumbing, electrical, etc.) as required by the local building authority.
    •Obtain Financing – Set an early budget. Once you have completed pre-approval and are approved for a loan, begin searching for the best interest rate.
    •Building permits, special fees and licenses, insurance – In some areas, these are easy to get and construction requires no or few inspections. In other areas, construction can require specific inspections and approval, soil conditions verified, lab tests arranged, Stamped Engineering, etc.
    •Property Corners – Should be marked and building location staked.
    •Roads – An all-weather road needs to handle heavy, concrete trucks, especially to pump location.
    •Sanitary Facilities – There needs to be a sanitary facility onsite for workers.
    •Site Preparation – It needs to be completed, including leveling and/or pad build-up. Fill, if needed, should be brought in and packed. Generally, the best form of fill is granular fill (sand or gravel).
    •Adequate Drainage – It should be provided and able to handle a major storm.
    •Special Embeds – These should be on site with locations designated, if needed.
    •Water Provided – Water is needed to clean tools and mix concrete. If it is not available at the site, you must arrange for it to be hauled in by truck or tank fitted with a pump.
    •Power – Construction power per Proposal must be onsite and turned on.
    •Refuse Disposal – Refuse disposal arrangements should be made.
    •Additional Grading – After the dome is finished, additional grading may be needed for driveways and/or landscaping.
    these houses seem a lot nicer than what I was originally looking at... meaning the price is probably much nicer as well.

Videos I've enjoyed:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtJki5fdp-8"]The different models[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut4npRGf-lQ&feature=related"][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFGaW2FdKB4&feature=related"]Old pallets[/YOUTUBE]