User Tag List

First 2230313233 Last

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Shipping containers have their flaws and issues, I used to live in one, but they are awesome for what they are. They do make incredibly awesome storage facilities.

The more I think of it the more depressing the thought of living in a box is, metal or not.

I'm still working on a land deal here.. my issue is logistical in nature--primary housing loans for the land mean I'd have to 'officially move' there long before my house would be complete, which means I have to save money for a 20% down payment investment property... laaame. I'm working on it currently. The money I have saved now will just have to go towards the land investment before I can really get this thing off the ground.

In the meanwhile, I've been trying to finalize some design features of the tiny barn. It needs to be set up in such a way that I can take it down and have it unused for a few months at a time. While I can pretty much rely on a family member to check in on it and sweep away some cobwebs, it still needs to be stuff that doesn't need constant maintenance.

I'm going to test pilot some things here at the house I'm currently living in. Like building a small outdoor kitchen area out of a camping stove in such a way that I can just open up everything and have it be protected from bugs and weather.

I'm going electric because electricity is cheap in Texas, and I can always use non-electric options like solar-power for lamps and lights and a camping stove outside. So the stove/oven will be a couple small, cheap burners and a microwave oven. The one I have here is fantastic and more than enough awesomeness for cooking. I'm not one of those crazy off-the-grid tiny types, and I'm not overly concerned about this or that environmental thing.. electricity is cheap, the machines are cheap, etc. etc.
    Or use the power of the SUN
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    The more I think of it the more depressing the thought of living in a box is, metal or not.

Or use the power of the SUN
    Ain't nobody got time for that!! (Seriously though, I watched like 3 videos in a row, pretty awesome shit.)

And yeah, living in a narrow metal box is constricting and a bit sad.. I didn't spend much time in my room at all, I was always out and about. It's a great way to keep you from being a home body, that's for sure.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    It was either Tiny House Nation or another tiny house show that used solar roof shingles. There are tax-incentives and rebates, plus the price is coming down and saving 40-60% of electricity sounds good.
    Oh yeah, there are all kinds of cool stuff now-a-days. And you can find a company that buys your excess and make money off of it too especially if you don't live there year round. I just saw on kickstarter a 'sunport' where you can demand to use 100% solar energy from whatever it is you plug into it via demanding it from the grid vs having a panel.. so you can support other people with solar panels too.

I think electric is the way to go especially if you want to switch between on and off grid functions. Propane doesn't convert at all. It is awesome for cooking, and I'm going to stick by my small camping stove idea for stove-top cooking.. but overall, if you want to switch from electric to solar there's easy ways to flip that on and off again to suit one's needs. And tiny's dont demand much energy anyways... so considering I won't be there for a majority of the time, it seems cheaper to just pay-on-demand for electricity, have some strips and things that prevent vampire energy leaking, and have some solar back up for liason/shorter periods of time.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes kyuuei liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've come to terms with never truly being a minimalist. :3 but I think that really is an awesome way to do it! If I travel to Europe it might be a cool temporary solution for me rather than paying for a hotel every single stop.

MBTI
    yupp

i came up with a pick up line from an obese person to an anorexic:

"Hey are you homeless? because i could be your tiny house "
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

~ Elbert Hubbard

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

@phobik sooo fucking gorgeous.

While I was at harbor freight I was checking out the solar panels there... Sometimes they have the open-box packages of them, and the big 45 watt panels are only like $121.. With a couple batteries, in Texas, that really could power a whole tiny house! It'd be pretty easy, and if the panels didn't even last very long.. for the price of an electricity bill I could replace a component. A couple of those on sale + a couple batteries would power a fridge. Plus a little wind turbine for stormy weather? !

We're thinking we'll start small and hook up a solar panel + a makeshift rechargeable battery pack to our gazebo out here to let it light up at night on its own without running wires to it across the yard. Just to experiment with it all. We could potentially convert part of our house into solar though--maybe get the panel and a battery to run a space heater in the house while we're not there to keep the place from being damp and cold in the winter months.. Then we can shut it off when we get home and run the wood stove and it won't be quite so cold in here all winter long.

And if we could get the dryer to go solar instead of propane we'd be saving a ton of money.. the propane is the majority of our budget right now.

I had the idea of just building one of those fan-solar-powered-black boxes that steam-dry the clothes, but I dunno if I'll realistically use that enough for it to be of use.. there's a lot of shade where I'm at and I'm not going onto a roof top to get my clothes. We do hang clothes to dry when it's nice weather, but we create too much laundry for even that sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    @phobik sooo fucking gorgeous.

While I was at harbor freight I was checking out the solar panels there... Sometimes they have the open-box packages of them, and the big 45 watt panels are only like $121.. With a couple batteries, in Texas, that really could power a whole tiny house! It'd be pretty easy, and if the panels didn't even last very long.. for the price of an electricity bill I could replace a component. A couple of those on sale + a couple batteries would power a fridge. Plus a little wind turbine for stormy weather? !

We're thinking we'll start small and hook up a solar panel + a makeshift rechargeable battery pack to our gazebo out here to let it light up at night on its own without running wires to it across the yard. Just to experiment with it all. We could potentially convert part of our house into solar though--maybe get the panel and a battery to run a space heater in the house while we're not there to keep the place from being damp and cold in the winter months.. Then we can shut it off when we get home and run the wood stove and it won't be quite so cold in here all winter long.

And if we could get the dryer to go solar instead of propane we'd be saving a ton of money.. the propane is the majority of our budget right now.

I had the idea of just building one of those fan-solar-powered-black boxes that steam-dry the clothes, but I dunno if I'll realistically use that enough for it to be of use.. there's a lot of shade where I'm at and I'm not going onto a roof top to get my clothes. We do hang clothes to dry when it's nice weather, but we create too much laundry for even that sometimes.

why thank y, ur 2 kind.

amurcan probs, we don't do dryer here, unless dry cleaner/laundromat.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

why thank y, ur 2 kind.

amurcan probs, we don't do dryer here, unless dry cleaner/laundromat.
    Yeah I noticed that in europe, but I LOVE dryers. They make clothes feel so nice and comfy. I guess the closest thing I've seen is a drying cabinet for there... but you could just use some black plastic + PVC pipe and make a box with a fan in it and get the same thing.