User Tag List

First 172526272829 Last

Some more tiny inspiration. This ones a bit bohemian though...warning serious cute factor/carnie factor depending...

Rollottes' European Style Gypsy Caravans | Humble Homes

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ JEeeeeze what a great looking tiny! So sophisticated!
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I love tiny houses. The degree of innovation and efficiency involved in creating them is so impressive. Also they're adorable.

From a very young age, I've always wanted a little summerhouse or garden shed to use as a retreat, like many writers and composers have used in the past. I guess that's sort of like a tiny house.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I'm really into the idea/fantasy of buying a little beach house somewhere someday and living there part of the year. Writing a lot, then walking for long periods of time along the beach. Making a fire and watching the waves on a moonlit night.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I love tiny houses. The degree of innovation and efficiency involved in creating them is so impressive. Also they're adorable.

From a very young age, I've always wanted a little summerhouse or garden shed to use as a retreat, like many writers and composers have used in the past. I guess that's sort of like a tiny house.
    They're so versatile that you can really afford to have tiny properties of two houses vs a large property with a big home. It's comparable in price. Tiny homes CAN cost a lot if you're living full time in one and want luxuries.. mine will be a bit less efficient, but cheaper in construction.

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I'm really into the idea/fantasy of buying a little beach house somewhere someday and living there part of the year. Writing a lot, then walking for long periods of time along the beach. Making a fire and watching the waves on a moonlit night.
    If you exchanged that with a musty damp foggy forest, I'd agree entirely.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post

Plenty of people have turned those garden follies into small homes

If we didn't have such painful building regs in my country (and busybody neighbours) I would hand build a little shack. I like both rustic and elegant types. I live in one of the most over regulated countries on the planet, you even have to fence a freaking inflatable wading pool for petes sake! The local councils have turned building approvals into a multi-million dollar revenue source where basically you need approval to do anything not involving shrubbery (and some case involving shrubbery too). People here are fed up with having to pay $10-$25k just for a planning permit! It's extortion. And then there is this wonderful thing called council contributions which is basically a bribe to change the use of your land from say dirt to residential. They claim it's to cover the cost of extra amenities needed as a result of population growth, I think it's a bribe to get your development application approved. Or a tax. Either way you look at it. Here it's common for people to spend $100k before they even raise anything above the ground. Housing is severely unaffordable here, one of the least affordable on the planet.

But there are a few loopholes if you look hard enough. If you can build a tiny under 20sqm then you don't need approval in suburban areas. Up to 50sqm in rural zones. It needs to be pointed out though that living in such a building is technically illegal though.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ JEeeezus I cannot even imagine. Houston is the only city in the US that lacks zoning laws. Houston may not be the sexiest city .. New York has that big-dreams-appeal to it.. San Fran has that hippy vibe... Austin has google fiber (why Austin vs Houston I'll never know)... Miami has the pretty beaches and ladies.. But Houston is where you can make a ton of money for not a ton of investment, low cost-of-living with relatively amazing access to one of the biggest multicultural places in the US .. And there's no zoning laws, so unrestricted land you buy is yours.

There are basic building code laws, every place ever has those, but tiny houses are easy to work around--chiefly, anything under 200 sq. ft. doesn't require a building permit at all.

Great that you've found a little spot where the laws are more reasonable. The laws in my country have become a real source of discontent here and a source of economic woe as well. As many people here spend 30-40% of their entire income on just rent. Leaving no room for savings at all. We have a property bubble but everyone is in denial, caused by the exorbitant cost to build new homes and tax breaks for owning more than one house.

I have saved very well my entire life and could afford to buy an established home with a mortgage. But I just don't want to end up paying three times it's cost in interest and be stuck in my career for the next 30yrs to pay for it, only to have to sell it in order to fund my retirement which is what the current generation are having to do. I'm beginning to look at the tiny home thing again now, specifically to get around the high taxation involved with building a home on foundations. Of course it wont be legal, but it will also save around $50k in unnecessary taxes so it's almost cost effective to do it and take the risk.

The other option I have is to buy agricultural land which sells for practically nothing here and then stick a 'rural shed' on the block and covertly live in it. You have to pick your local council carefully though. Some turn a blind eye and don't want to know, others will fine and evict you. But done right it would give me a 500sq ft building with loft space that for all intents and purposes is a barn, that I just happen to sleep in to run my agricultural enterprise. It's all in the spin....

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chthonic View Post
    Great that you've found a little spot where the laws are more reasonable. The laws in my country have become a real source of discontent here and a source of economic woe as well. As many people here spend 30-40% of their entire income on just rent. Leaving no room for savings at all. We have a property bubble but everyone is in denial, caused by the exorbitant cost to build new homes and tax breaks for owning more than one house.

I have saved very well my entire life and could afford to buy an established home with a mortgage. But I just don't want to end up paying three times it's cost in interest and be stuck in my career for the next 30yrs to pay for it, only to have to sell it in order to fund my retirement which is what the current generation are having to do. I'm beginning to look at the tiny home thing again now, specifically to get around the high taxation involved with building a home on foundations. Of course it wont be legal, but it will also save around $50k in unnecessary taxes so it's almost cost effective to do it and take the risk.

The other option I have is to buy agricultural land which sells for practically nothing here and then stick a 'rural shed' on the block and covertly live in it. You have to pick your local council carefully though. Some turn a blind eye and don't want to know, others will fine and evict you. But done right it would give me a 500sq ft building with loft space that for all intents and purposes is a barn, that I just happen to sleep in to run my agricultural enterprise. It's all in the spin....
    I mean, especially if you have mail going to an 'official' looking address, what can they say? I know lots of people who have official addresses that jump all over the place in reality. The agri-land sounds like an awesome idea to me.. and honestly, 'upcycling' and reclaiming wood can make something pretty shabby and frowny-faced looking on the outside with something quite beautiful on the inside not matching it at all.

I dunno what country you're in.. but I think I'd definitely pick up and move if I wasn't allowed to do this tiny house idea where I'm at. I'm lucky that the city 3 hours away has already broken ground on several tiny homes legitimately in Austin, so Houston isn't such a far cry from that on top of current loopholes being more lenient here.

I am DEFINITELY not doing a mortgage trap. My parents played that game their whole lives, my aunts, my sister ... they're all doing that game right now.. and even though this isn't an expensive place to live (seriously, from what you're telling me, you could probably buy a 280sq m home here in my city and have it paid off before teh 10 year mark.. land and all.) the housing market is being turned on it's upend because basically a bunch of people talked it up and pretended houses were really worth something. The reality? They're usually not. The land is.. but not the homes themselves. Almost never are the homes actually worth anything.

But we have enough rednecks on our side of town that realized that and bought decent land in a decent section of town and put shit houses on it, keeping the property taxes and rates down in the area. I'd much rather deal with that than a bunch of posh 80 sq ft apartments in NYC costing me 3 weeks of pay.