User Tag List

First 12202122232432 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Whoaaaaaaa! Can I get a hell yeah? That's kind of what I want my Facebook account to be - a virtual crazy map!

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Fwiw, Sigi does strawbale construction in a relatively humid climate, the mid-atlantic... Dewpoints in the upper 70's happen quite often during the summer (and low-70's probably 50+% of the time). The key is to have a high-enough stemwall to keep the rain splatter away, along with long roof overhangs (but if you think about it, this principle applies to any house--because wood frame construction can rot too!) She is also a HUGE fan of Lime plaster -- No portland cement, not clay (unless you want to re-plaster it yearly), but LIME. It's breathable yet water resistant so it works fantastic for the outer coating in humid/wet climates. (and also the walls in humid rooms like the bathroom, sometimes the whole interior walls can be done in lime if you like ... but many folks do clay plasters with linseed oil sealer or similar)

Down south cob seems to be the way to roll, and it's not too different from strawbale, just no straw bales.. lots of sand+clay+loose straw instead They do cob out in western OR, in a temperate rainforest climate with good results ... Same principles apply: Good roof overhangs, high-enough foundation stemwalls. In both cob & strawbale construction the typical way to roll is to build the foundation as a "rubble trench" with a trench offshoot that points downhill so water has a sure place to flow if it ever does soak into your foundation, and then an earthen floor in the middle of that, typically dug out first & then (Sigi's technique) plastic sheeting, foam insulation, followed by the adobe floor. I think typically gravel is laid down underneath the sheeting first but my memory is escaping me as to why (maybe help with drainage, in case water wicks up from the earth underneath). There is no basement, of course.

All of that is a heck of a lot of labor & craftwork though, so it's typically a bunch of folks working on it together

(anyway that's a summary from all I've read; my wife got me a whole set of books on cob & natural building last year for Christmas so we've both digested a bunch of them and collected knowledge .... that we'll probably never use, lol, well never say "never" I guess.)
    I did get to see one of Sigi's projects, there is a winery very close to our house who contracted her to architect their tasting room... It's beautiful, with green/living roofs for some of it, metal roofing for the main section w/ solar panels, huge thick walls, a cob bench in one corner with throw-pillows all over. We went out on a date last Saturday (w/ babysitter watching the boogers) and visited it for some wine tasting. Natural timbers (de-barked) for support beams, old reclaimed wood for joists, etc.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Whoaaaaaaa! Can I get a hell yeah? That's kind of what I want my Facebook account to be - a virtual crazy map!
    I think mine will be pretty nice once I get it and have a place to set it up! I'm working on some smaller projects--catching up on my hand written journal, a complete digital organization of my pictures, and constructing photo albums of my family's pictures so they can be enjoyed instead of being shoved up in the closet corner. (Read: so they can look better shoved up in the closet corner.) They're consuming projects, but I'm enjoying them none the less. Plus they'll give me perfect access to putting accurate strings on my timeline. I'm going to make little sticker 'flags' of the dates I traveled on each string.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Fwiw, Sigi does strawbale construction in a relatively humid climate, the mid-atlantic... Dewpoints in the upper 70's happen quite often during the summer (and low-70's probably 50+% of the time). The key is to have a high-enough stemwall to keep the rain splatter away, along with long roof overhangs (but if you think about it, this principle applies to any house--because wood frame construction can rot too!) She is also a HUGE fan of Lime plaster -- No portland cement, not clay (unless you want to re-plaster it yearly), but LIME. It's breathable yet water resistant so it works fantastic for the outer coating in humid/wet climates. (and also the walls in humid rooms like the bathroom, sometimes the whole interior walls can be done in lime if you like ... but many folks do clay plasters with linseed oil sealer or similar)

Down south cob seems to be the way to roll, and it's not too different from strawbale, just no straw bales.. lots of sand+clay+loose straw instead They do cob out in western OR, in a temperate rainforest climate with good results ... Same principles apply: Good roof overhangs, high-enough foundation stemwalls. In both cob & strawbale construction the typical way to roll is to build the foundation as a "rubble trench" with a trench offshoot that points downhill so water has a sure place to flow if it ever does soak into your foundation, and then an earthen floor in the middle of that, typically dug out first & then (Sigi's technique) plastic sheeting, foam insulation, followed by the adobe floor. I think typically gravel is laid down underneath the sheeting first but my memory is escaping me as to why (maybe help with drainage, in case water wicks up from the earth underneath). There is no basement, of course.

All of that is a heck of a lot of labor & craftwork though, so it's typically a bunch of folks working on it together

(anyway that's a summary from all I've read; my wife got me a whole set of books on cob & natural building last year for Christmas so we've both digested a bunch of them and collected knowledge .... that we'll probably never use, lol, well never say "never" I guess.)
    I did get to see one of Sigi's projects, there is a winery very close to our house who contracted her to architect their tasting room... It's beautiful, with green/living roofs for some of it, metal roofing for the main section w/ solar panels, huge thick walls, a cob bench in one corner with throw-pillows all over. We went out on a date last Saturday (w/ babysitter watching the boogers) and visited it for some wine tasting. Natural timbers (de-barked) for support beams, old reclaimed wood for joists, etc.
    Sounds like a decent amount of labor and craftsmanship needs to be involved. I wonder though if you could experiment first by building a children's play house? That might give a lot of feel for, without a TON of work and you could watch how the work does over time without really being upset if you made a major mistake...

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Sounds like a decent amount of labor and craftsmanship needs to be involved. I wonder though if you could experiment first by building a children's play house? That might give a lot of feel for, without a TON of work and you could watch how the work does over time without really being upset if you made a major mistake...
    Yeah my wife keeps talking about that, so I think we'll do it at some point. Main hurdle is getting HOA approval to build a "shed" or whatever, though a small playhouse could probably be done under the radar... First thing first though, the books often mention creating "test bricks" or using mason jars to stratify the clay vs. sand/silt components to analyze the soil (see if there's a fair amount of sand in the soil already, or if you need to add more to make it proper ratio).
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    Yeah my wife keeps talking about that, so I think we'll do it at some point. Main hurdle is getting HOA approval to build a "shed" or whatever, though a small playhouse could probably be done under the radar... First thing first though, the books often mention creating "test bricks" or using mason jars to stratify the clay vs. sand/silt components to analyze the soil (see if there's a fair amount of sand in the soil already, or if you need to add more to make it proper ratio).
    Im not sure how HOA things are, but I know in Texas most areas will allow any under 200sq.ft buildings that are not being used for housing without prior permits or approvals.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Im not sure how HOA things are, but I know in Texas most areas will allow any under 200sq.ft buildings that are not being used for housing without prior permits or approvals.
    It's similar here, I think either 160 or 200sqft, but my HOA has requirements that we submit documentation and a small fee outlining the details and get their approval... mostly they want to make sure the shed is mostly hidden from the front and it's the same color as the house's siding. Maintaining the aesthetic quality of the neighborhood and all that crap.

I suspect my challenge would be getting the exterior plaster to match, as lime whitens up the color but earthen plaster won't hold up against rain for long. I am totally going to play with small stuff to get my feet wet soon though
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I think mine will be pretty nice once I get it and have a place to set it up! I'm working on some smaller projects--catching up on my hand written journal, a complete digital organization of my pictures, and constructing photo albums of my family's pictures so they can be enjoyed instead of being shoved up in the closet corner. (Read: so they can look better shoved up in the closet corner.) They're consuming projects, but I'm enjoying them none the less. Plus they'll give me perfect access to putting accurate strings on my timeline. I'm going to make little sticker 'flags' of the dates I traveled on each string.
    Those sound like fun little projects! What a great idea re sticker flags.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sp/so

Another take on the tiny house: thin house.
    Johari / Nohari

“That we are capable only of being what we are remains our unforgivable sin.” ― Gene Wolfe

reminder to self: "That YOU that you are so proud of is a story woven together by your interpreter module to account for as much of your behavior as it can incorporate, and it denies or rationalizes the rest." "Who's in Charge? Free Will and the Science of the Brain" by Michael S. Gazzaniga

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Another take on the tiny house: thin house.
    A home has to fit the function of the owner--otherwise it's just a place to put your things and go, ya know? It's really interesting this concept--and I think it could be a real answer to cheap housing solutions for people who are lacking income and places to go in situations of extreme temporary financial depression, especially in bigger city areas. Trailers are the go-to solution in the south where we have space and land to occupy.. in cities, I could see this being a viable answer.

I'd personally go crazy inside of one of these. I exercise, dance, move around, jump, and play. 47 inches is less wide than I am tall--and I am frequently referred to for my short stature. But if I had to live in something like this because I was struck on hard times or lost my job, I could do it without issue.

That reminds me--tonight I'm going to take a picture of the house I really like.