User Tag List

First 9171819202129 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    lol! This iron may regularly set your clothes on fire, but it's flattened compact design fits nicely in a drawer!
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    I don't really like IKEA, but I'm sure some people would like a fold-up dish stand. Maybe to keep the kitchen from looking cluttered when company is over.
    I'm sure there are some people that appreciate it. I just don't get it. It's a practical piece of equipment.. there's no need to buy one that hides away when it's a standard piece in most modern kitchens.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbHmOsQipto

I really really amazing video of this man's garden and home. But what I thought was really interesting wasn't even on the video--he was talking about making a greenhouse into the bathroom too.. So you'd go there to bathe, and the water would run off and then feed the plants. I thought that was a pretty cool concept.

This week I might go attempt to inquire about the cost of the small home I saw.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I finally checked out the tiny house I keep seeing. The guy said, as is, the model I saw was $39,000. Yikes! It's also top-notch construction, and its bigger, and he says it can actually be any size I want and adjustments can be made. The whole thing is customizable (I didnt know that wasn't a word until just now...) but that's still the price I'd be looking at. Too expensive... but still very nice.

WhoCares

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I see a lot of 'perks' written on tiny blogs about appliances and products when they fold up and out of the way..

Example: this Ikea dish stand that hangs from the wall (nice!) and folds up when not in use (why?) to be an inch thick. I mean, I guess it's nice that it folds up.. but most people have to wash dishes on a daily basis. It really doesn't make much sense to buy something that folds away when it is used daily.

I never understood that being a selling point. It's great for things you don't use all the time or change frequently--I opted for a card table in my small apartment because I could fold it out of the way by myself with no trouble whenever I needed more standing room for guests at my house, or to make room for people to sleep--but when it comes to daily things those should be fine just where they are.
    Its about usable benchspace. After living in a caravan for a time you realise the usefulness of being able to use your sink as extra benchspace while cutting up veges etc. moving the dish stand helps with that. Many tiny homes have caravan style kitchens.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

http://trendmosaic.com/coolest-way-to-recycle-a-bottle/

I've been dreaming up ways to have some visual appeal to make it more unique and less.. well.. ranch-like. This thing is beautiful and inexpensive.

Oh. I also inquired about that small home. Two stories, more square footage than a tiny house, as is with a wrap-around porch was $39,000. This thing, for $39,000, was easily bigger than my sister's apartment. $10 grand into making the interior something nice would easily make a spacious, affordable living unit. It turns out the place showcasing it was a retailer for Tuff Shed, and they said it could be made much different than that--smaller, one story, no wrap-around-porch, etc. So the price isn't set in stone or anything. Still.. This thing is more than affordable.. Big enough to be cozy, and small enough to stick in a back yard. Also, Tuff Shed actually has some really awesome reviews for their durability and high quality construction, and none of their displays looked even touched from the hurricane that went through here a few years ago. It's an awesome option.

So far, we're crossing our fingers, and trying to get the ball moving on all the legality issues we have with my father's side of things so that we can move forward with this seamlessly. As far as packing up the house goes.. We have half the storage shed gone, selling things on craigslist, slowly moving clutter out of here week by week, and we have one room completely cleaned out to start stacking packed away boxes in so that they aren't in the way and they're in a central location for when we do move. This is the hardest part of the whole process I think.. Once we get this all sorted out, we'll be golden.

The property we keep talking about the most is the one with the two A-frame rental homes on it. We have to see them in person to find out what condition everything is in.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Dear God. This woman's blog is so inspiring and amazing.

http://www.everydayminimalist.com/?page_id=3288

So far my favorite posts:
    http://www.everydayminimalist.com/?p=1382 A suitcase series that inspires me to, someday, marry my feminine and boyish clothing together.
    http://www.everydayminimalist.com/?p=2296 A 6-week trip in a carry on.

My wardrobe is cleaned out, posted on craigslist, and ready to be carried off to a new home hopefully.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Really awesome small bedroom nook.

So, we've had to decide on a plan of action. We cannot sustain this lifestyle anymore, I've wasted too much money trying to get the banks to work with us, and at the end of the day they aren't going to do it without my giving up on my education for a while. Since I won't do that, we have a couple options.

Option 1: My parents go live in Pittsburgh for a year in my grandmother's old house, fixing it up as they go, since it is rent free but needs some work. I couchsurf with my friends for that year's time, and continue to go to school, and when my dad's VA hits we buy the land outright.

Option 2: We buy a really small place now outright. A small plot of land for around $10k, put two small trailers and a storage shed on it, and hunker down there until the VA hits. We probably wouldn't live in the best area, and we'd have to get rid of much of my parents' stuff to make them fit in such a small space in comparison to here.. but we'd own the place, so it'd be rent free, and we could afford to live there longer in case anything goes wrong with the VA and we're stuck waiting longer than 1 year for the benefits. They could afford to live off of their current income without me, and I'd have space of my own as well.

We're checking out some properties right now.. I found a couple in our price range, I need to go visit them and investigate more.. when I get some damn time..

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

So, Ikea had a tent sale. The things I bought:
    - A build-in gas stove top, three burners
    - A range hood
    - A set of three drawers
    - A sink cabinet with matching sink
    - A medicine cabinet

Total price: $236. They had some awesome stuff, but this stuff was the cheapest with the highest quality for the price, and the rush of people made the guys mark things down really low. The stove top alone was originally $500. Pretty awesome!

We have a really good layout right now of what we need to accomplish to get our land secured and at least my parents' house set up. I saw a refurbished trailer home for $12,000 the other day... I think I might have to delay my house yet another year in order to pave the way for debt-free living for all of us. I'm okay with that for now, unless I can find a way to finance my house for 0% interest for 12 months. So far:

- The money we'll finally get from our settlement with the truck accident will pay off the debts my parents currently cannot get out from under via bankruptcy.
    - The money I currently have saved will go towards land improvements and necessities, such as a septic system, electrical runs, some gravel for a drive way, and fencing. This was going to be my house money, but I cannot do anything about needing this stuff. I can always get more money.
    - The money we're earning from selling stuff is going towards our petty cash and daily expenses, as well as the pocket cash we'll need to eat off of while moving, and also rent the U-haul for the big stuff.
    - The money we'll get from my father's inheritance is going towards the land itself--to get the best plot with the best location we can afford.
    - My bonus from the army will buy me a truck we can use to help with moving so that we only need to rent a u-haul for one day, and any excess will go towards setting the house up for success (like, for example, buying a storage shed.)

Petty cash that we have is going to go towards setting up some things to make the place live-able and nice immediately--we have a lot of things that can make some free improvements to what we have currently. We have almost all the materials (less than $100 needed) to build our garden/party area and fire pit, the ability to make the storage unit somewhat climate controlled, and the ability to build a really cheap off-the-grid outhouse that runs off of water-harvesting barrels and solar powered lights. All of that stuff is pretty much free since we have all of the items we need for it already.

My parents will be financing the house (as they'll be allowed to own one house and one car on bankruptcy) but the land and truck will be in my name.. and after that, no more monthly payments of 950$ a month for a house that cannot hold us anymore.

Even though I'm somewhat starting from scratch, it doesn't feel so daunting anymore. The idea that the money I've already been using to pay for something I don't like (our current house) can now be shoved into a savings account for a couple years and I can build a beautiful tiny house that is in the image I intended it to be in all along. If I keep hunting I can find a decent deal for a temporary place of my own.

http://www.phoenixsailingcharters.com/rainwater.htm <--- This will be my off-the-grid outhouse. Except I'll use a pump like this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvIFMGuqBp8

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/nowm...contest-190035 A really awesome functioning tiny house. Apartment therapy has a lot of them posted.. I would probably switch the bedroom and kitchen though. No sense in having such a tiny kitchen and no personal space for sleeping when the walls are there anyways, but to each their own.