Socionics
    ILE

@kyuuei, why don't you just build this?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

No toilet, no good.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    No toilet, no good.
    They didn't teach you to do it in the woods, Sarge?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    They didn't teach you to do it in the woods, Sarge?
    Ive had my share of using the land as a latrine.. I don't really care to do it at home.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

These panel-type cabins look good and reasonably priced. Even their economy model versions look good. Their biggest econo cabin is 12 x 28 and 336 sq. ft. and would be well under your budget.

http://www.panelconcepts.com/economy.htm

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ The cost of the kit still far exceeds the amounts I'm looking at spending for exteriors. Though in their defense they seem a LOT easier and look pretty good. But $5,000 and I don't even get to pick where the windows, doors, and such go? For the same price I could have exactly what I want.. But the link is still pretty cool.

I've been thinking.. if I build a square shape, 15x15.1215 (It gives me precisely 227 sq. ft.. I know it's a really odd measurement, and one that I will probably have to round off, but I'd like to give it an effort first. I'm still going to say it's 227 either way lol!) with four steel beams in concrete foundation for support.. (I was avoiding concrete.. but if I got radiant flooring I think having concrete would help with that..) and a metal roof, I wouldn't have to worry about shingles, and I certainly wouldn't have to worry about the supports ever running bad. Repairs to the house wouldn't be costly at all if I added those two elements to it. Since it's small and square, I think four support beams would be all I needed. A higher pitch to my roof would mean more space inside on the small storage loft, but it would also mean less exposure for solar panels on the roof.

I may be getting my entire bonus in April too, instead of a chunk of it. If I did, that'd be absolutely amazing. I could build a good portion of our outdoor kitchen by april.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Appliances I have pretty much set my heart on:

http://www.compactappliance.com/Edge...efault,pd.html

Its a heater, A/C unit powerful enough for up to 500 sq. ft, and a dehumidifier unit you don't need to empty by hand.. all in one. And the price is right for combining all three appliances into a single application.

http://www.compactappliance.com/Avan...rtable_Washers

Fully automatic, small enough (I think!) to slide underneath my sink when not in use. A spin dryer will accompany it.

http://www.compactappliance.com/Airf...efault,pd.html

Small air purifier thats safe and can be tucked out of the way. Best of all, no filters to clean or change.

The advantium stove I was eyeing--I have decided on it for sure. It is a splurge, but microwaving, food warming, cooking options, and conventional and speed oven cooking are all available in a unit that also doubles as a range vent for my cook top? Perfect and worth it.

Two hot plates -- I think induction ones for the energy savings, an electric skillet, a griddle, and a slow cooker will give me plenty of cooking options without it seeming small--I can customize my cooking surfaces as needed without taking up extra space. A cabinet will keep it all tucked neatly away when not in use. I'm also getting a hot pot cooking bowl. I know it's pretty specific and japanese in nature, but I can't help but fall in love with those.

The portable dishwasher I've featured before will of course be present.

I am unsure of my fridge yet--there are some slim, small, tall fridges for a pretty penny.. There are also some small apartment fridges that may be too small for the amount of cooking I do. It all depends. I plan on having a fridge/freezer combo, I need a freezer to store foods.. So I may end up splurging on a bigger fridge model than I originally anticipated. We'll see though.

I am seriously considering a kotatsu for my coffee table. I could see a lot of fun in that while it still serving a purpose all year round--a coffee table (something I use frequently in a house), a desk, a warm place to eat during winter, and a proper kitchen table if I so need one.

The composter I featured will sit just outside my door.

My sink in the bathroom will be a waterfall style sink, but the sink itself will be one of these from Ikea:
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20148331/

That series is pretty reasonably priced, but the sink itself is huge! Those little shelves can hold the essentials, removing the need for extra counter space, I can hang the toilet paper off the side there, and a medicine cabinet and some corner shelving will be plenty of storage for my toiletries.

Am I forgetting anything now? What a crazy list.. It seems like a lot of stuff to start this up, and some of the expenses unnecessary--but they are. Part of living in this small space is not FEELING like Im living small. I'm not doing this solely because Im strapped for cash.. Im doing this because I like the movement, and I think it makes sense. But I still want this place to feel luxurious and a dreamy place to come home to.. nevermind the huge amount of floor space is missing.. Having warm floors in the winter, a beautiful sink and shower to wash in, and a kitchen where I can cook whatever I want are essential things. They don't need to be BIG, but they need to be there. Living small is affording the things you desire.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Appliance round up and prices.

Edgestar A/C, Heating, and Dehumidifying abilities. $500.
    Airfree air purifier. $300.
    Koldfront 6 place setting dishwasher. $240.
    Danby Bottom mount fridge stainless steel look. $535.
    Hot plates. $120.
    Electric skillet. $50.
    Griddle. Free since I already have one.
    Advantium Oven. $1400.

Total already: $3,165. That's fairly over budget considering I need to squeeze in two sinks, faucets, a shower head and a toilet, and laundry containers. Really cutting the budget close on this one.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Dan Phillips would be a good person to talk to about saving money and cutting corners for your project. This guy is a master of ingenuity and creativity for doing it on the cheap.

Low-income Houses from Recycled goods
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Std5t...eature=related

He has a website too >
    http://www.phoenixcommotion.com/

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

How about you build this one?