• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Kyu's Tiny House Blog

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/turning-a-garage-into-an-apartment-196560

I really love what they've done with the space here. :)

Waiting is an agonizing process.. I've collected many trinkets and things in preparation for getting my tiny house.. and yet, with no where to put them, they are constant reminders that I have to be patient and level headed. Not an easy thing to do.

I've decided I truly do like the idea of a two-story tiny house with a wrap around porch. I could see myself in the tiny rectangular structure I drive past every evening on my way to my friends' houses.

The kitchen, living room and exercise area, and crafting area with a small storage area under the stairs..
And a full-sized bathroom, closet, bedroom, and office/study area just above it. With a lean-to on one side of the house, the rest a porch wrapping the house and a small screened-in area on an end cap.. I like this idea a lot. It hasn't faded at all.. on the contrary, I find myself looking for designs that model this.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/before-amp-after-small-city-bedroom-to-custom-lofted-bed-desk-197547

I really like this concept so much. Building up.. The bed being on top of what you would mostly need for personal space.

I've thought a lot about what I would do if I were to own a business.. A traditional Tavern (like, with beds on top and bar downstairs, and everything) always comes first..

But I think that temporary housing would be another really cool idea. Something between a hotel and an apartment. Like a hostel that would make sense to live at for a year at time or something. Hostels are still expensive when you look at it that way. There are people that move to cities from elsewhere, and aren't established yet, or lose their housing temporarily, or are saving money from circumstances.. A transitional place to stay that acts like a dormitory and costs the same as rent in a tiny apartment with the ease of a hotel.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
http://www.mybadpad.com/fun-stuff/10-bizarre-but-useful-appliance-combinations

This website has some awesome stuff on its list! The best though being an in-sink dish washer. That's just pretty effin cool. It made me think--why not a dishwasher kitchen island? A small prep sink attached to the top, and the butcher board there and stuff.. but the whole thing meant to be a dishwasher sounds pretty cool.

Also, lately out of project availability we've been using our coffee table as a dinner table. It actually works out pretty good that way! It could be a great way to eliminate a dining room area entirely.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I know they're made for old people... but wouldn't this be an awesome tiny house bathtub too? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbrande...lk-In-Soaking-Tub-in-White-B3053RWS/203818762

.. 578c389d-a528-4d1c-b8e2-1875598a0190_300.jpg

I could easily see a walk in shower with just a big glass slot separating things, with this just off to the side..

More importantly, I'm starting to actually get paid by the VA for my going to school. So, my saving for my tiny guest house is beginning... That's pretty exciting. I saw a few barn-style models that would serve me really well, and they're only in the $2-3k range. I really could have a decent set-up for somewhere around $7k I think.. So I'd have a tiny house paid off this year and move in by the time I finish getting the money to pay for things as I build them. Also I was told for that money I could build a much sturdier structure than a shed kit.. I'd have to figure out how to do everything though, and I'm not exactly known for my carpentry skills...

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Thank you so much darling for those videos! :wubbie: You always know how to cheer me right up!

I put an inquiry in for a really great deal on a counter top dishwasher. I've been eyeing models for a while now, and a guy posted his on craigslist. Moved to Houston, had a wet bar he used it in (clever girl) and now there's no basement and thus no need for it. So hopefully he still has that. :D

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I seriously love pallets. I keep seeing new and interesting ways to use them all the time online.. and I am taking advantage of ALL of them! I'm going to have a pallet house! (Well, actually, probably not, but everything ELSE will likely be pallets!)

My favorites so far: A patio deck made of pallets, a pallet vertical garden, outdoor tool organizer, fence, dog house, outdoor couch, shelving, outdoor shower, and this awesome pallet kitchen organizer, which I suspect I can build for a crafting/office station too.

Vorstellung von Sch

OrderOfTheCaelifera

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't know whether the 2012 IRBC would allow a light gauge portable bathtub where you intend to build your home but if so, you may be able to fill a tub from a hose attached to the kitchen sink faucet & drain it into an exterior water filtration system by using a garden type hose. That may allow you to recycle bath water to irrigate a veggie or herb garden & hang the tub upon a wall when not in use. Call it western cowboy art?

http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/290818832513_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg

https://www.google.com/search?q=old...#q=old+west+copper+bath+tub&tbm=isch&imgdii=_

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:wubbie: That first picture is so amazing. Only twice now have I had the pleasure of being in an area where I could walk outside naked for extended periods of time without issue/worry. The first time I did not indulge, I merely noted I could. The second I did, and it was awesome! Something you just cannot get from being in the city at all.

But I could immediately see myself in daydreams sitting on my porch with a small bucket, pouring water over my head and enjoying the sun in that little tub.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ I always thought as a kid, because of where I grew up, that if you had stairs in your house that you were a rich person. Generally that is the case here, where Texas is so wide and vast that its easier to have tons of one story houses than to cram everyone in for no reason.

As an adult, I like to think that is still the case. :D It's pretty fun.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I daydream a lot about owning a piece of forest. Like, wet, boggy, slightly cold and foggy forest. We don't really have that sort of climate here in Texas.

I've been trying to evaluate how to sort out our land situation. What I can do.. what is best for my parents. The more I look at their situation, the more I think that them being on their own is a terrible idea. But maybe, if my sister and BIL are okay with it, they could end up neighbors with each other. That would free me up a lot more to buy property in Austin. It'd give my parents someone close to them--but their own house to operate and pay for too.

And I think they'd let me build a small shed guest house on the property near my parents' house too. So I'd still have a place to live in Houston.

Small House that Feels Big: 800-square-feet Dream Home?

I really, really love this tiny house.

Modern house plan - 890-1 from Houseplans.com

It's a little more modern than I was going for, but god it's gorgeous and spacious feeling.

w1024.jpg

w1024x683.jpg

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I like when I get visual cues from those living in tiny houses that the decisions I've made along the way are the right ones. :laugh:

How to Simplify Your Kitchen in your Tiny House

This article has a picture of this woman's 35sq.ft. home wherein she has the same Ikea bar and hanging baskets that I've purchased years ago. Stuff like that makes me pretty happy.

There's a situation that's come up in my life recently where I've had the opportunity to finance, purchase, and live in my own home.. but not exactly on my terms. It's in the thick of things, but with neighbors closeby and no land.. it isn't what I envisioned. 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, nice decent place, nice neighbors, right in the middle of things.. and I'd have a house of my own finally. But.. Unfortunately, I just can't justify jumping in without setting things up proper.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
hey do you know anything about kowloon wall city. not the policitcal or crime stuff but it's great example of how people utilized space.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City#Population
Kowloon Walled City's early population fluctuated between zero and a few hundred, and began growing steadily shortly after World War II. However, there is no accurate population information available for much of the Walled City's later existence. Official census numbers estimated the Walled City's population at 10,004 in 1971 and 14,617 in 1981, but these figures were commonly considered to be much too low. Informal estimates, on the other hand, often mistakenly included the neighbouring squatter village of Sai Tau Tsuen.[38][43] Population figures of about 50,000 were also reported.[12]

A thorough government survey in 1987 gave a clearer picture: an estimated 33,000 people resided within the Walled City. Based on this survey, the Walled City had a population density of approximately 1,255,000 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,250,000 /sq mi) in 1987.[13]

it was a slum, but people made use of very tight spaces and there was a whole hierachy and businesses in it. it operated as a seperate city inside hong kong becuase of the confusion of who the land belonged to. anyways I think it's cool and yeah i know you're not looking to live in a slum but i'm sure you could get space ideas from it.

plus I really like learning about it, I wish there was more info I did watch a documentary about the 20th anniversy of being torn down and it was pretty cool.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Prpl that's really awesome, I have never heard of it! :hug: Thanks for this!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I want my mud room to be a slice of rustic. I thought maybe I'd just do an outdoor mudroom, covered though and closed in with screening or something.

FZYE6X0G7CND346.MEDIUM.jpg

Love love love this concept. It can go next to a beautiful copper in color cowboy tub.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I would stay away from anything that could end up building up mold or rust, or has too many crevasses to clean. With such a small place, you want everything to be bendable, light in color, symmetric, and easy to clean. The more round things there are, the less space you'll have for something else.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I would stay away from anything that could end up building up mold or rust, or has too many crevasses to clean. With such a small place, you want everything to be bendable, light in color, symmetric, and easy to clean. The more round things there are, the less space you'll have for something else.

Yeah.. originally I was really excited about Yurts and domes, and I thought for sure that was the way to go.. but when I visited them in person, as cool as they were, they just didn't really make sense. Squares are just more efficient as things go. They may not look as cool, but meh.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Pretty cool gadget. DeltaToast | stovetop toaster If you're looking for some quick toasting options without an appliance. :) apparently toaster bags are a thing that exist and you can transform your toaster into a cool sandwich-making kit too with it. It'd be a great way to fit a device like that in.