• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mortar and Pestle

gromit

likes this
Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a mortar and pestle, or maybe asking for one for Christmas if my parents ask me what I'd like. Anybody know the difference between stone/granite, metal, or porcelain? I'm eyeing this one, as I think Le Creuset is a good brand and has pretty colors (I love the front/orange one):

41ETEp7l6LL._AA300_.jpg

What do you have, what do you like, what do you use it for? I'd use it for herbs and spices.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd avoid metal, is all. Some herbs don't react well with it.

I personally like white marble ones...But yours looks dec.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Marble, granite and some other stone models are very nice, their heft makes it easier to keep them stationary when pulverizing tougher substrate. Ceramic holds up very well, just don't chip it. Metal can be reactive but I personally just don't like the sound signature from a metal one while in use. Good luck in your search.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
My wife has one of the plain white ceramic ones. Neither of us uses it. I'm not even sure what you're supposed to use it for.

I did see someone on TV use one to crush black peppercorns, but all the pepper we have is already ground.

Tiger Owl

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My wife has one of the plain white ceramic ones. Neither of us uses it. I'm not even sure what you're supposed to use it for.

I did see someone on TV use one to crush black peppercorns, but all the pepper we have is already ground.

1276-front.jpg
SCIENCE!!!

alchemy.jpg
ALCHEMY!!!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Is the guy in the back about to freebase cocaine whilst Gandalf contemplates a wicked bong?

MBTI Type
INTJ
LeCreuset is a fantastic brand, but if I were to get one I'd want a rougher, more pebbled surface like the granite ones have. I bet it saves a lot of elbow grease.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Hi guys I'm thinking of buying a mortar and pestle, or maybe asking for one for Christmas if my parents ask me what I'd like. Anybody know the difference between stone/granite, metal, or porcelain? I'm eyeing this one, as I think Le Creuset is a good brand and has pretty colors (I love the front/orange one):

41ETEp7l6LL._AA300_.jpg

What do you have, what do you like, what do you use it for? I'd use it for herbs and spices.

i love le creuset for their cast iron stuff.
but if you're look for a mortar just to grind herbs and such: get it an asian supermarket like 88.
they last and last and last and you can do just about anything with it. (they're stone)

i make papaya salads in mine. stomp stomp stomp.
get all the delicious flavours into the raw papaya.
we call it papaya pok pok hahahah from the sound
of the mortar and pestle makes.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd go with something a lot heavier than Le crueset, like marble or another solid stone because of the muscle work you may be putting into it. You want the bowl to stay stationary. Plus le cruesets enamel chips over time. I have a marble one and that works well for me. you can also check the second hand stores. You'll probably find one for dirt cheap there. They usually have tons of the most perfectly seasoned cast iron pans too.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I sort of want one too now, so I can feel like an awesome Wizard.

I wonder if I can properly grind my coffee beans with this so it's the equivalent of a burr grinder? If so, SOLD.

/putsonhiswizardhatandrobe

gromit

likes this
LeCreuset is a fantastic brand, but if I were to get one I'd want a rougher, more pebbled surface like the granite ones have. I bet it saves a lot of elbow grease.

Hm well the product description said the inside is not glazed, so it has a rougher texture for better grounding (grinding?). But the consensus does seem to be a stone one.

i love le creuset for their cast iron stuff.
but if you're look for a mortar just to grind herbs and such: get it an asian supermarket like 88.
they last and last and last and you can do just about anything with it. (they're stone)
Hah nice. I will maybe be over in that direction Saturday so I'll check it out.

I'd go with something a lot heavier than Le crueset, like marble or another solid stone because of the muscle work you may be putting into it. You want the bowl to stay stationary. Plus le cruesets enamel chips over time. I have a marble one and that works well for me. you can also check the second hand stores. You'll probably find one for dirt cheap there. They usually have tons of the most perfectly seasoned cast iron pans too.

I will check out Goodwill, but the one by me might be too trashy to have something like that.

I think I win on perfectly seasoned cast iron pans though :D I was walking down the street and found a set of three in a box with other random junk and a big sign that said "free".

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I loooove my mortar and pestle! Actually, I have two of them-- a big stone one for large amounts, and a small marble one that I use for just grinding salt and pepper on a daily basis. The stone one is too heavy to deal with for every day use, but I do like it better because the rough surface makes it easier to grind stuff. Sometimes the smooth surface of the marble one makes it more difficult-- I have to kind of crush up the peppercorns with the pestle before grinding it, otherwise they just roll around on the smooth surface. :laugh: