Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mortar and Pestle

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    what do you use it for?
    Witchcraft. Is there any other use?

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

I sort of want one too now, so I can feel like an awesome Wizard.

I wonder if I can properly grind my coffee beans with this so it's the equivalent of a burr grinder? If so, SOLD.

/putsonhiswizardhatandrobe

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    LeCreuset is a fantastic brand, but if I were to get one I'd want a rougher, more pebbled surface like the granite ones have. I bet it saves a lot of elbow grease.
    Hm well the product description said the inside is not glazed, so it has a rougher texture for better grounding (grinding?). But the consensus does seem to be a stone one.

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i love le creuset for their cast iron stuff.
    but if you're look for a mortar just to grind herbs and such: get it an asian supermarket like 88.
    they last and last and last and you can do just about anything with it. (they're stone)
    Hah nice. I will maybe be over in that direction Saturday so I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I'd go with something a lot heavier than Le crueset, like marble or another solid stone because of the muscle work you may be putting into it. You want the bowl to stay stationary. Plus le cruesets enamel chips over time. I have a marble one and that works well for me. you can also check the second hand stores. You'll probably find one for dirt cheap there. They usually have tons of the most perfectly seasoned cast iron pans too.
    I will check out Goodwill, but the one by me might be too trashy to have something like that.

I think I win on perfectly seasoned cast iron pans though I was walking down the street and found a set of three in a box with other random junk and a big sign that said "free".
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I loooove my mortar and pestle! Actually, I have two of them-- a big stone one for large amounts, and a small marble one that I use for just grinding salt and pepper on a daily basis. The stone one is too heavy to deal with for every day use, but I do like it better because the rough surface makes it easier to grind stuff. Sometimes the smooth surface of the marble one makes it more difficult-- I have to kind of crush up the peppercorns with the pestle before grinding it, otherwise they just roll around on the smooth surface.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/