User Tag List

First 123 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bluestripes View Post
    i guess the golden rules for staying safe are: never eat a mushroom that is entirely while, especially if it has gills; never eat a white gilled mushroom with a yellow, gray, bronze, brown or greenish cap; never eat any "little brown mushrooms". that way, at least, one can guarantee that one isn't going to collect something life-threatening.
    This list doesn't include all species of amanita mushrooms, which I was taught are highly deadly (although usually pretty distinctive as well) - so I really don't trust its accuracy as far as "guarantee that one isn't going to collect something life-threatening". unless you're only talking about the subset of mushrooms that grow in a particular area....
    -end of thread-

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    This list doesn't include all species of amanita mushrooms, which I was taught are highly deadly (although usually pretty distinctive as well) - so I really don't trust its accuracy as far as "guarantee that one isn't going to collect something life-threatening". unless you're only talking about the subset of mushrooms that grow in a particular area....
    the fact is, any amanitas with a red or orange cap are really easy to distinguish from other mushrooms due to their features - the color, the white specks left on the cap after the volva bursts, the large "cup" at the base of the stipe. the only situation where i could see them being mistaken for an edible species would be if one were out to collect the caesar mushroom or coccoli, which also belong to the amanita family and look extremely similar.

perhaps it would have been best to add: never attempt to collect or eat any of the edible amanitas unless you are an expert.

and i wouldn't call most amanitas "deadly". the deadly ones are the death cap (amanita phalloides), the destroying angels (amanita verna, amanita virosa, amanita bisporigera) and a few other species, the majority of which have no such distinctive traits - they are either white or have a dull grayish/greenish/brownish cap. it may be easy to confuse them with a harmless mushroom, such as the gypsy mushroom, field mushrooms, some brittlegills etc., and this is where the main danger is. other amanitas are mildly to moderately (occasionally seriously) toxic but not exactly deadly.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

there ya go. I guess it was obvious, but I always hate absolute rules that are missing things, even if they are obvious things.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTx

I've always been intrigued with mushrooms. Those look awesome.

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Beautiful! I've seen some like the picture on the bottom on a walk before. I was thinking of starting a mushroom enthusiasts' thread here; do you think we should ( @bluestripes, @AphroditeGoneAwry, @earthtrekker1775), and sort of merge it with this one? I just found, correctly identified, and ate an oyster mushroom from a large cluster near campus. I'm going to go back in the morning and harvest more.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

neat! i don't usually like mushrooms to eat very much, but i have a ever-since-childhood fondness for them!

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Beautiful! I've seen some like the picture on the bottom on a walk before. I was thinking of starting a mushroom enthusiasts' thread here; do you think we should ( @bluestripes, @AphroditeGoneAwry, @earthtrekker1775), and sort of merge it with this one? I just found, correctly identified, and ate an oyster mushroom from a large cluster near campus. I'm going to go back in the morning and harvest more.

That could be cool, especially with pics...but I hear there are sooo many varieties that it's almost maybe necessary to go by region?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

WALMART

*noms all shroomz*

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

this thread is more psychedelic than super mario bros.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ

That last one is so blue that it's pulling me in. o.o

I want to lick it. It's hypnotic.