• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

smells when travelling

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The strongest smell/travel association I have is from Salt Lake City. I don't know if it always smells like this, but they day I was there the whole place smelled like death. The lake had a cloud of insects on its surface and a few dead animals floating here and there, and the smell was overwhelming.

Paper mill towns smell pretty bad, too.

Paper mills are horrible smell offenders. There's a paper mill about 13 miles from where I live and every so often the smell makes its way down here, if the wind and humidity are just right. It's like walking outside into a sewer.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Belgium smells of cows, to me. You get used to it after a while, but it's quite agricultural.
True, we hardly notice anymore and when we do, we get sentimental about it :D
Florence smells of water on dusty streets. A very specific smell.
I associate France with the smell of wheat in the North, lavender in the South.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I associate a number of scents with Russia, but the most peculiar is the combination of fresh bread, raw fish, and cheap chocolate. Most of the small shops where I bought my groceries smelled like that. At first I thought I was going to choke with the awful combination, but after a few months I began to find the strange scent comforting and soothing.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
Saudi Arabia - Some kind of really heavy perfume on many men.

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
Los Angeles and Philadelphia smell differently (moisture, most likely). The Lancaster area smells of manure (especially the Amish communities).

Had me going there for a minute. We have a Lancaster and I'm relatively certain there are no Amish there!

I can't imagine not having a good sense of smell; it's such a large component of enjoying food and drink.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Victoria, British Columbia.

The smell of the ocean, the sand, the brisk winds, the mist, the damp air particularly bombard my senses whenever I'm home.

Especially walking through Mystic Vale.

Last edited:

Veneti

MBTI Type
XNTX
*smells when travelling*

oh... I thought it was a post on flatulence.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i remember walking through the streets of "El Alto" in La Paz, Bolivia..."Ciudad Satelite" standing at about 15,000ft above sea level. It's a poor city and as you walk further into it you can smell food at every corner from vendors and then shit, most likely from all the stray dogs in the area...so a good combination of food and shit smells LOL so gross but quite an experience.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
East Texas smells like pine trees, Southwest Texas smells like oil, Southeast Texas smells like saltwater, Central Texas smells like grass. :)

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
other parts of la paz, bolivia smell like eucalyptus leaves due to having many of those type trees planted. apparently it's one of the few trees that will grow in the type of soil and climate that they have.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I did the Disney/Daytona thing eight years ago. That's the only time I've been out of England. It smelt very different, but nice, and warm.

I have smelt a similar smell a couple of times in England, and it immediately takes me back and reminds me of Florida.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Me and my GF just spent a week in Puerto Rico.

Notable smells:
- Coffee plantation, smells like coffee
- Mud flats near Luquillo, smells like mud
- Ocean waves in San Juan, smells like the sea
- El Yunque rainforest, smells like forest
- These little tree-fruits that they have in El Yunque, which smell and taste like roses

Abhaya

MBTI Type
INFP
Probably desert sage. I'm not a fan of the desert but I love that smell, too.

The smell of sage brush after is rains. Is a wonderful smell unlike any other, but I am from Nevada so it reminds me of home.

alicia91

Florida - humidity and Coppertone
Michigan in the springtime - lilacs and honeysuckle
Sweden - pine forest, grass and briney water
Arizona - mules?

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Baltimore's inner harbor smells like beer and fried fish and salt water. There is a kind of comfort in the smell - once you get used to it.

Ilah

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Bali smells of Frangipani (plumeria).. It's wonderful.

frangipani2.jpg
:cry: :cry:

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
The strongest smell/travel association I have is from Salt Lake City. I don't know if it always smells like this, but they day I was there the whole place smelled like death. The lake had a cloud of insects on its surface and a few dead animals floating here and there, and the smell was overwhelming.
You got lucky. That's the delicious smell of the lake, which is from dead animals, but nothing you would easily recognize as a dead animal - that's the result of the death of trillions of tiny brine shrimp at the end of their life cycle and the layers upon layers of muck on the bottom of the puddle made up of their decomposing remains. The right time of year, or after a storm that stirs up the muck, and when the wind conditions are right, the entire city will reek.

The airport is so close that a lot less is required for the stench to make it there, and the salt flats have their own unique nasty odor that is slightly different from the dead brine shrimp.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
So wait, why do people live near a salty lake that smells like death?