User Tag List

First 3456 Last

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    So wait, why do people live near a salty lake that smells like death?
    Stupidity. There would be no city there if it wasn't for a bunch of comically-stupid people that saw it from a distance and mistook it for an ocean inlet. When there was no city there, you didn't know about the lake, and you were looking over the valley in the early spring after a long winter with a wagon train, it would look like paradise to you, too.

There was a good reason that nobody ever settled there before that...
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP

Haha, and they didn't think to check and see if the water went to the ocean before they built a settlement. I'm surprised it didn't turn into a ghost town.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp
    Socionics
    LSI?

Cities in the Northeastern US snow belt (e.g. Cincinnati, OH, Albany, Buffalo, etc) seem to have that gritty industrial smell. Like bus fumes and factory smoke.
    Si>Ti>Te>Ne>Fe>Ni>Fi>Se

Introverted (I) 60% Extroverted (E) 40%
    Sensing (S) 56.25% Intuitive (N) 43.75%
    Thinking (T) 61.29% Feeling (F) 38.71%
    Judging (J) 71.88% Perceiving (P) 28.13%

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by dnivera View Post
    Cities in the Northeastern US snow belt (e.g. Cincinnati, OH, Albany, Buffalo, etc) seem to have that gritty industrial smell. Like bus fumes and factory smoke.
    Cleveland is the worst. Trust me on this.

I don't do a lot of traveling, but I remember traveling to Orlando to go to The Magic Kingdom when I was about 11, and I was amazed at how the heat of Florida didn't bother me like it did in Ohio -- the air was so much fresher and far less humid.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm so glad I moved back to the mid west. I drove from Minneapolis to Rochester today and the drive was really enjoyable. Actually tranquil would probably be the best way to describe it, windows down, with a cool breeze even in August. I guess I kinda have this affinity for farmland, not that I want to be a farmer.

I haven't seen a real autumn in over 3 years. I'm excited to see the leaves start changing color again.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Cedar Rapids smells like oatmeal.

MBTI
    INFP

Dyed-in-the-wool Prairie Woman here.

In the summer I like to travel by motorcycle and the smells of my home are exhilarating - fresh cut hay, a field of clover, the green smell of corn growing, spicy and sweet wildflowers in the ditches.

The BIG smell of a car-struck deer which lasts longer than is pleasant and provides a reminder to watch the ditches as well as smell them. A lingering odor of an alarmed skunk.

The late-summer fishy/algae odor of standing water or the cleaner, but no less attention-drawing, fragrance of a lake.

In the fall there is the earthy smell of decaying leaves near the woodsy areas. And even our fresh-fallen snow and ice-frosted trees have a nose-shocking, bracing scent.

Traveling al fresco on the prairie does have it's moments and yes, the smell of animal manure pervades the air in some months more than others. When I used to complain visiting on my husband's home farm my MIL would remind me that that unappetizing odor was the smell of money.

But Mid-Westerners can become connoisseurs of animal droppings and I can assure you that the cow flops are considerably more acceptable to the nose than those of hogs. And horse thit is the smell of adventure!

In El mercado central during a visit to Mexico I noticed many varied smells which were unfamiliar enough as to be indescribable. They were so unique to my nose that I couldn't decide whether I liked them or not.

Odd the choice in English of the words we can choose from regarding olfactory sensation: odor, fragrance, scent, smell, stink.

My toddler son once, thinking to compliment his mommy, said "Mom, what's that odor you're wearing?" Um. I THINK he was leading up to a compliment. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP

Mankato smells like soybeans. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

Whenever I drive past Lorton, VA either through Rt 1 or 95, or Montclair, VA off Rt 1 as well, it smells like sewage. When I drive past a certain area on 495 between Alexandria and Springfield, VA it smells like pine trees because they are cutting lots of trees down to make way for highway expansion...kinda sad. Reminds me of the movie Ferngully ha. yes, the kid's cartoon movie.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

Oh yeah, I went tubing yesterday on the Shenandoa River in Luray, VA and certain areas where we floated past smelled like cows because there's a lot that graze nearby and come down to drink the river water lol