• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

smells when travelling

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
So wait, why do people live near a salty lake that smells like death?
Stupidity. There would be no city there if it wasn't for a bunch of comically-stupid people that saw it from a distance and mistook it for an ocean inlet. When there was no city there, you didn't know about the lake, and you were looking over the valley in the early spring after a long winter with a wagon train, it would look like paradise to you, too.

There was a good reason that nobody ever settled there before that...

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Haha, and they didn't think to check and see if the water went to the ocean before they built a settlement. I'm surprised it didn't turn into a ghost town.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
Cities in the Northeastern US snow belt (e.g. Cincinnati, OH, Albany, Buffalo, etc) seem to have that gritty industrial smell. Like bus fumes and factory smoke.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cities in the Northeastern US snow belt (e.g. Cincinnati, OH, Albany, Buffalo, etc) seem to have that gritty industrial smell. Like bus fumes and factory smoke.

Cleveland is the worst. Trust me on this.

I don't do a lot of traveling, but I remember traveling to Orlando to go to The Magic Kingdom when I was about 11, and I was amazed at how the heat of Florida didn't bother me like it did in Ohio -- the air was so much fresher and far less humid.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm so glad I moved back to the mid west. I drove from Minneapolis to Rochester today and the drive was really enjoyable. Actually tranquil would probably be the best way to describe it, windows down, with a cool breeze even in August. I guess I kinda have this affinity for farmland, not that I want to be a farmer.

I haven't seen a real autumn in over 3 years. I'm excited to see the leaves start changing color again.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Dyed-in-the-wool Prairie Woman here.

In the summer I like to travel by motorcycle and the smells of my home are exhilarating - fresh cut hay, a field of clover, the green smell of corn growing, spicy and sweet wildflowers in the ditches.

The BIG smell of a car-struck deer which lasts longer than is pleasant and provides a reminder to watch the ditches as well as smell them. A lingering odor of an alarmed skunk.

The late-summer fishy/algae odor of standing water or the cleaner, but no less attention-drawing, fragrance of a lake.

In the fall there is the earthy smell of decaying leaves near the woodsy areas. And even our fresh-fallen snow and ice-frosted trees have a nose-shocking, bracing scent.

Traveling al fresco on the prairie does have it's moments and yes, the smell of animal manure pervades the air in some months more than others. When I used to complain visiting on my husband's home farm my MIL would remind me that that unappetizing odor was the smell of money. :yes:

But Mid-Westerners can become connoisseurs of animal droppings and I can assure you that the cow flops are considerably more acceptable to the nose than those of hogs. And horse thit is the smell of adventure!

In El mercado central during a visit to Mexico I noticed many varied smells which were unfamiliar enough as to be indescribable. They were so unique to my nose that I couldn't decide whether I liked them or not.

Odd the choice in English of the words we can choose from regarding olfactory sensation: odor, fragrance, scent, smell, stink.

My toddler son once, thinking to compliment his mommy, said "Mom, what's that odor you're wearing?" Um. I THINK he was leading up to a compliment. . .

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whenever I drive past Lorton, VA either through Rt 1 or 95, or Montclair, VA off Rt 1 as well, it smells like sewage. When I drive past a certain area on 495 between Alexandria and Springfield, VA it smells like pine trees because they are cutting lots of trees down to make way for highway expansion...kinda sad. Reminds me of the movie Ferngully ha. yes, the kid's cartoon movie.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh yeah, I went tubing yesterday on the Shenandoa River in Luray, VA and certain areas where we floated past smelled like cows because there's a lot that graze nearby and come down to drink the river water :) lol

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yeah, I went tubing yesterday on the Shenandoa River in Luray, VA and certain areas where we floated past smelled like cows because there's a lot that graze nearby and come down to drink the river water :) lol

that sounds like a lot of fun, btw :)

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
luminous, you reminded me of the irony of a town to the north of us named after the French explorer, LeSeuer. It had a sewage treatment plant outside of town which stunk to high heaven. LeSewer. I used to freak myself out with the thought that the molecules entering my nose had once occupied a warm spot in the town's resident's bowels!

And we tube here also. It's a hoot to round a bend in the river and see all the dear,dumb, docile creatures standing and gazing at us as we float past!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Vegas smells of artificial stuff. Kinda like a hospital but without the whole bleaching everything and such.

New York smelt like a traffic jam on a warm day when we briefly went outside (brief as in 3 minutes or so on the way to Vegas).

I don't recall a smell in Atlanta but we didn't go outside much.

Blighty however smelt of rain and proper traffic and food I knew what it tasted like.... :D

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
that sounds like a lot of fun, btw :)
yeah, it was...but once the alcohol wore off and after 6 hrs of floating you start to get a little antsy lol

luminous, you reminded me of the irony of a town to the north of us named after the French explorer, LeSeuer. It had a sewage treatment plant outside of town which stunk to high heaven. LeSewer. I used to freak myself out with the thought that the molecules entering my nose had once occupied a warm spot in the town's resident's bowels!

lol what a name to have! also, the thought of sewage having occupied warm bowels never really crossed my mind or bothered me before...until now :p
i just don't want to inhale anything that smells foul.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
this isn't necessarily tied to a specific place, but I love smelling the air outside when it's late summer (like now) and the mornings start in the upper 50's/lower 60's. the cooler air imparts a certain smell in my nose that reminds me of when I have a mild cold, and for some reason I actually like it. I used to get "mild colds" all the time when I was younger and I guess I associated a lot of good memories with it (staying inside playing video games, experiencing that false 'smell' moreso when I'd run outside and play in the snow, etc). I rode my motorcycle into work today so I experienced that every time I opened my faceshield.

D

Dali

Nairobi (Kenya), in the mornings, has a cool, crisp, delicious smell... it stings the nostrils and rejuvenates the senses and, within minutes of leaving the house, you're wide awake. It's more pronounced during the cold months of June to September.

Namanga (Kenya/Tanzania), where my grandmother lived and where I frequently spent holidays, had a rich, incredibly earthy scent to it. Literally earthy. It smelled of the rich loam soil that the town was built on and it was wonderfully pronounced when it rained.

Garissa (Kenya)... I can't quite place it but it just smells of hot, dry desert. Nice scent at night though.

Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia), smells exotic. It smells of billions of flowers and fruits and the heat, humidity and smell hits you as soon as you walk out of the airport (regardless of whether it's 3AM or 3PM). You'll either hate it or love it. No middle ground. Nilai is much the same.

Tokyo (Japan), smelled incredibly strongly of the sea. It was a hot summer when I was there and perhaps that had something to do with it. I didn't like it (the smell). Osaka smelled much the same as Tokyo.

It was autumn when I was in France and the rotting leaves shed by the trees exuded a sweet balmy scent that was pronounced in especially Toulouse and, to a lesser extent, Foix. Paris smelled of other stuff.

Tanah Rata (Malaysia) in the Cameron Highlands had an interesting nice scent I can't quite place. It also smelled of plenty of vegetation but it was less of an assault on the senses than the hotter parts of Malaysia.

Mombasa (Kenya) smells of the sea.

I was on a bit of a high when in Makkah (S. Arabia) and I can't remember the smell. Madinah was incredibly cold when I was there and it smelled pleasant but I can't place it too.

I'll add some more as I remember them.

Last edited:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The town I was in in Parana state of Brazil smelled like the paper factory, bananas and baking bread... the blend ended up not smelling alltogether terrible! A while back I passed a paper factory while driving- it made me smile :blush:

North Shore of Lake Superior smelled like wet rocks- even in the end of July it was cold enough that a jacket was needed and the wind kept slapping the waves over the rocks on the shore and carrying thier smell with it.

Southern Indiana always makes me think of decaying leaves, pine needles in the sun and the smell of wet dirt. I've always gone hiking in the area and those are the smells I've always encountered farther back in the woods.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
Russia smelt of pneumonia and set my hypocondria into a tail spin which ruined the first coupl eof hours of my hols but I soon got used to the smeel... AMAZING place though loved it!

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I've only noticed that people from different countries smell different. Americans smell of nothing but Europeans definitely have a distinctive smell.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I've only noticed that people from different countries smell different. Americans smell of nothing but Europeans definitely have a distinctive smell.

I believe Americans, like most Europeans smell of "Dairy" to people from countries where it isn't a primary food source.