User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

it is of one of the bushes.. I cannot recall which..
    Probably desert sage. I'm not a fan of the desert but I love that smell, too.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Southern France and northern spain in the summers, that's one hell of a good smell.
    Sun, dry dusty dirt, oaks, the smell of someone cooking

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ESFJ

Los Angeles and Philadelphia smell differently (moisture, most likely). The Lancaster area smells of manure (especially the Amish communities). The Poconos have more coniferous trees than does SE Pennsylvania, and it is a pinier, drier smell. The worst place smells I've come across are:

running water at the Jersey Shore (awful, sulfurous, rotten-egg smell; never drink tap water down there and avoid you didn't bring)

Philadelphia's Chinatown in the summer (like a potpourri from Hell)
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    yupp

My friend told me not to drink jersey water, we were going to go to her grandparents in New Jersey because we decided we wanted to go to New York and they live an hour from the city and their's a bus so we figured we could stay at her grandparents place I go into the city for a day but then her grandparents got sick and one died so that never happened. I have yet to go to new jersey beyond the newark airport.

I really like how land by bodies of water smell particularly creeks and rivers. I also like walking though the tall grass in the middle of july as the sun burn you and the top of your head feels really hot and you can feel your skin being burnt. I also like when it snows and the cold wind against my face.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    GONE

I have no sense of smell and if I had one I'd suprress it (which I normally do anyhow). Most things with a smell are not worth smelling -- i.e. they smell bad. Which makes sense because I think the sense of smell in humans was largely developed as a warning system, no? To tell you if something were safe to drink/eat, if godawful smelly predators were near, etc.

I just remember my summer in NYC. Just don't inhale. And for god's sakes don't take the subway.

The only natural smells that stand out to me are water, stone, and trees. The vastness of the Grand Canyon and big parks seems to translate to a 'big' wide-open smell. Or rather constant breeze. I equate places like that more to a cool breeze than a smell. But maybe that's just a mental thing. The Portland area also smells a little like that, being that it's a big outdoorsy, hippie enclave.

Also unpleasant smell that I (unfortunately) remember, rest stop and beach bathrooms. I set personal best records for holding my breath in and 15 feet from those.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Aww guys, NYC doesn't smell that bad. You get used to it I guess. :P

Oh my gosh, every time I travel upstate the only smell I can remember is the stench of skunk. Ewww.

MBTI
    ENTP

I really like the smells of prairie grass, wildflowers, smokehouses, coniferous trees, woodsy smells, snow, and post-thunderstorms. So I'll probably never leave the midwest.

edit: I just remembered a smell I miss from Minnesota (especially on field trips as a kid) - apple orchards. I also wondered why I haven't heard about any in Kansas until I did some reading just now. Apparently MN has over 100, mostly in the southern half, and KS has 13.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    INTP

The Chinatown market in San Francisco has some of the same smells as the big marketplace in Guadalajara: sweaty bodies, spicy food, old or hot leather, goats?, and some other indistinguishable smells... it's been a long time since I've been to either place, but they were definitely the same smell.

Arab markets reek of spices, especially cumin. It's tantalizing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The strongest smell/travel association I have is from Salt Lake City. I don't know if it always smells like this, but they day I was there the whole place smelled like death. The lake had a cloud of insects on its surface and a few dead animals floating here and there, and the smell was overwhelming.

Paper mill towns smell pretty bad, too.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    The Chinatown market in San Francisco has some of the same smells as the big marketplace in Guadalajara: sweaty bodies, spicy food, old or hot leather, goats?, and some other indistinguishable smells... it's been a long time since I've been to either place, but they were definitely the same smell.

Arab markets reek of spices, especially cumin. It's tantalizing.
    There is an overwhelming bad-fish smell in Philly's Chinatown. San Francisco's wasn't as bad (but I was there at night). Haven't made it down to Guadalajara.

Hey, that reminds me of "My Old School" by Steely Dan. "Whoa, no! Guadalajara won't do now!"
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"