• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

My Community Garden Project

Beorn

Permabanned
I'm going to use this thread to post info on my new community garden project.

I'm about to start planning and organizing a community garden on a 1 acre lot adjacent to my church's new community center (where they will be teaching literacy, tutoring, hosting bible studies and other community events). I'm very excited to see the impact the garden and community center has on the neighborhood. It is a low income neighborhood in a decent sized city with a number of problems... domestic disputes, drugs, violence you name it. There are also quite a few strong families despite these issues several of which attend my church. So there will be plenty of challenges, but plenty of rewarding opportunities.

I'll try to post pictures of garden development here and discuss both practical gardening issues as well as philosophical, theological, social, and public policy issues that pertain to the project.

I'm sure I'll also be seeking plenty of advice as I'm a novice gardener. Despite my great ambition for the project (I can already imagine an integrated self-sustaining (mostly) garden with chickens and aquaponic system) I will start small by reviving the neglected flower bed that is already there and doing a couple of small raised beds of vegetables maybe taking up a third of the space this year.

Any questions and comments are welcome!

gromit

likes this
Cool I started one next to my church a couple years ago but then the church burned down :sadbanana:

Hopefully yours has better results!!! :laugh:

Beorn

Permabanned
First garden event was a success!!!

The garden had been neglected all year. A team of about 15-20 adults and 10 kids under 10 worked hard for three hours to get ready for the winter and next spring.

What we got done:

- gathered garbage
- raked leaves
- mowed
- trimmed tree
- cut back bushes
- weeded
- fast-tracked composting by putting all organic material through a wood chipper
- aerated soil
- put down mulch across entire flower garden

We just cleaned up what was already there. Next spring we'll add some raised vegetable beds and re-landscape the flower garden. I'm Hoping to add more permanent fixtures to the garden like some benches and a stone or walkway.

I have to work a bit on my leadership skills in executing a work project, but this was a good experience. It didn't go as badly as I feared despite the fact that I know nothing about gardening.

Cool I started one next to my church a couple years ago but then the church burned down :sadbanana:

Hopefully yours has better results!!! :laugh:

I hope so too!!!

Pictures to follow soon I hope!

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
I'm curious as to how you are going to 'measure' this impact on the community?

Beorn

Permabanned
Well if you just want to imagine the impact, then you wouldn't need to do the project in the first place.

This is not a results driven project. You don't need results to justify the existence of a garden because they are inherently good and beautiful. While I'm excited to SEE the impact on the community (and I can see it in immeasurable ways like the smile of an old man or the laughter of a child) It is not the impact that determines the worthiness of the project. The whole purpose of the project is to demonstrate the worthiness of doing things simply because they are good and beautiful.

The community in which the garden is being planted operates on a combination of hedonism, utilitaritarianism, relativism, nihilism, and existentialism. Most folks in that community are thinking about how they can get happiness as quickly and efficiently as possible without regard for what is good, beautiful, and true. This results in drug abuse, prostitution, physical and sexual abuse, fatherless homes, and violence. The garden will stand as a monument to virtue in the midst of all this.

Beorn

Permabanned
As promised here are some pics!

22fbbc86-1.jpg

a78077a3-1.jpg

1b31e636-1.jpg

a80e3812-1.jpg

c372d91f-1.jpg

gromit

likes this
Ah now they are showing - may have been my connection on the other computer. VERY CUTE.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
[MENTION=5789]Beefeater[/MENTION] - lovely shots - nice to see everyone pitching it. I'm sure you're going to have a great time with this come spring!

Beorn

Permabanned
There were some concerns with whether the community org would let us use the land this year, but I just got word today we have the go ahead!

Tonight and tomorrow I'll finish off a partnership proposal for the garden and then we should be set for the next two years.

Spring is early and I got to get moving!

I'm very excited to rejuvenate the flower garden and get the neighbors involved in vegetable growing.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Very cool project, Beefy. What are you planting?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not sure yet. Got to figure it out fast.

I'll let you know.

Kudzu!!!

It is very hearty, and great at preventing erosion!! :shock: :laugh:

Just kidding. :newwink:

How about corn? It's the classic "Jack and the Beanstalk" plant with regard to how tall and mighty it gets.
I loved the corn I planted in my garden when I was 6 years old.
It was amazing to see it get so big so fast.

Peppers are easy too.
Namely jalapeno plants and/or Habanero.
They are hard to kill and yield more peppers than any community could ever eat.

Tomatoes are fun, but kind of high maintenance.
Rosemary is awesome, it will get huge like a bush, and it smells great.
Basil plants are wonderful too - fresh pesto!!! :holy:

Plant chrysanthemums in between vegetables for natural insectide. They release pyrethrins as part of their metabolism.

I'll think of more soon.

Great project!!! :hifive:

:solidarity:

-Alex

Beorn

Permabanned
Kudzu!!!

It is very hearty, and great at preventing erosion!! :shock: :laugh:

Just kidding. :newwink:

How about corn? It's the classic "Jack and the Beanstalk" plant with regard to how tall and mighty it gets.
I loved the corn I planted in my garden when I was 6 years old.
It was amazing to see it get so big so fast.

Peppers are easy too.
Namely jalapeno plants and/or Habanero.
They are hard to kill and yield more peppers than any community could ever eat.

Tomatoes are fun, but kind of high maintenance.
Rosemary is awesome, it will get huge like a bush, and it smells great.
Basil plants are wonderful too - fresh pesto!!! :holy:

Plant chrysanthemums in between vegetables for natural insectide. They release pyrethrins as part of their metabolism.

I'll think of more soon.

Great project!!! :hifive:

:solidarity:

-Alex

Awesome ideas!
Especially the kudzu!!!