User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default America and food portion sizes

I've just been watching an awesome episode on TV about some American who visited Chicago and ate what seems like a family meal for himself.

He went to Gino's East which is a pizza place in Chicago and ate a deep pan pizza which was 3 inches deep .. The bread dough weighed 2lbs alone .. Fucking hell.

Then went to Al's #1 Italian Beef and munched his way through a sandwich

And at Luckys sandwich place ate 3 of these to get his picture on the wall

So being in the UK and having a stomach the size of a baby gerbil .. Are all the portion sizes large in the USA?

I don't want to say that all Americans are fat but whilst the chap was dining in the above places, almost all of the customers were on the large side. Not bloody surprising when you see the portion sizes but what is America doing to reduce the amount of obese people?

I went out on Tuesday with some friends and for the first time i'd noticed that in the restaurant they had put the calorie content on the menus which was a good idea (i had starter and dessert only), is this common in America?

I am not trying to offend anyone but am genuinely curious.

I look forward to your responses.

*I am now hungry*
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

ThatGirl

*Sticks large pizza under the chair*

No...

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

those pictures are not typical, they're meant to be ridiculous.

But, I did learn the hard way when visiting the states (Portland, OR) that by no means can you order an appetizer with the main course, at least at the places I went. I have a very large appetite and was starving at the time, and I doubt I finished half of my meal. The appetizers were full-meal-sized!!

I find that American chains like Boston Pizza (not a big fan) also have huge portions even in canada.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Sit-down restaurants usually make their portions very big, yes. True what @Randomnity said about appetizers. I never order appetizers unless everyone at the table splits that one appetizer. And then they offer dessert--never have room for that, either.

Fast-food, on the other hand, tends to make them rather small these days, in order to save money on "production," I suppose...

I've only seen calorie-labels on menus in one or two places I can think of, it certainly does not seem common.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

ThatGirl

What I think is ridiculous is that you don't get the option to order LESS. Like, not letting adults order off the children's menu when really, the children's menu is actually the normal portion.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I've actually considered ordering off the kid's menu lately. I'll do that with fast food sometimes. Portions are typically too large, so people eat past the point where they're actually hungry.

We do have calorie and fat counts on just about everything nowadays in the stores, so that's not really an issue at least with grocery shopping. Restaurants are a little different, but typically all fast food places have charts on the walls near the checkout, where you can look at what you're buying; restaurants sometimes carry calorie counts in the menus (I think Ruby Tuesdays does this, among others); and we have smartphones and internet access to look things up. It will become easier and easier to check counts, if you want to.

The problem is simply that we make really crappy food far too convenient and accessible and cheaper, and one has to work to cook and eat food that is better for one. Sometimes it's not easy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I've actually considered ordering off the kid's menu lately. I'll do that with fast food sometimes. Portions are typically too large, so people eat past the point where they're actually hungry.

We do have calorie and fat counts on just about everything nowadays in the stores, so that's not really an issue at least with grocery shopping. Restaurants are a little different, but typically all fast food places have charts on the walls near the checkout, where you can look at what you're buying; restaurants sometimes carry calorie counts in the menus (I think Ruby Tuesdays does this, among others); and we have smartphones and internet access to look things up. It will become easier and easier to check counts, if you want to.

The problem is simply that we make really crappy food far too convenient and accessible and cheaper, and one has to work to cook and eat food that is better for one. Sometimes it's not easy.
    I agree with this. For five dollars, I feed TK and I on a Hot and Ready, and he has some left over for breakfast. Far too easy to default into.

I would prefer to actually cook healthy meals, but I don't have the time, and it actually seems like a waste of money. Since I am kind of cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I find that American chains like Boston Pizza (not a big fan) also have huge portions even in canada.
    Despite the name Boston Pizza is a Canadian chain.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Despite the name Boston Pizza is a Canadian chain.
    you just exploded my world view. wtf is the excuse for the large portions, then?
    -end of thread-

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I agree that portions at American restaurants are huge. When my mom and I go out to eat (usually at Olive Garden) we just order one entree and split it. We usually have extra to take home, too. If I get something by myself, I usually can get like 2 more meals out of it after taking it home and eating it as leftovers.

Also, I've totally had pizza at Gino's in Chicago before. Delicious. But I could only eat one slice. It's really massive slices, really heavy, and super filling.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~