First 78910 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    do people actually order dessert in restaurants?!?
    Why not?

Anyway, do you people eat out really that often? Personally I only eat at the restaurant once a week, otherwise it can become quite an expensive habit...
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/n...ry_115790.html

Article about obesity rates in the US and UK. The rates are closer than I would have guessed. As I think I said already, living in London you get a bit of an unrealistic idea as people are on the thin side here and it's actually quite unusual to see someone really obese (a bit overweight, yes, but that's about it.)

In both the US and Canada, though, I have seen a lot more people who were so overweight that I didn't understand how they could move around, than anywhere in the UK (and I have travelled around the UK).
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/n...ry_115790.html

Article about obesity rates in the US and UK. The rates are closer than I would have guessed. As I think I said already, living in London you get a bit of an unrealistic idea as people are on the thin side here and it's actually quite unusual to see someone really obese (a bit overweight, yes, but that's about it.)

In both the US and Canada, though, I have seen a lot more people who were so overweight that I didn't understand how they could move around, than anywhere in the UK (and I have travelled around the UK).
    Obese is a BMI of 30 or over, most laymen would consider someone with a BMI of 30 to be "a bit overweight" not fat or obese. The cutoffs are actually (probably wrongly) quite low, and considering weight falls as a bell curve most statistically "obese" people are only just obese and in the same sense most "overweight" people are only just overweight.

You probably shouldn't be able to visually notice the difference between the two populations, what you do seem to notice is there are more outliers in the states than the UK but they're not really going to skew the overall statistics.

The thing that really drives the obesity rates are people who are "a bit overweight" gaining or losing a few pounds, rather than people becoming massive.

Edit: Just read the article, woah a lot of scaremongering there! Bit strange given obesity rates have plateaued for the last ten years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/health/14obese.html
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I just assumed there were a lot of fat people in England, and it looks like this is not completely incorrect. I gathered this mostly from watching BBC. Since we're talking about the media, maybe the fact is that the English like to have a fat person to make fun of. This would explain why the nearly-as-obese British like to poke fun at American obesity. They also like to poke fun at Catholics, but that's besides the point.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I just assumed there were a lot of fat people in England, and it looks like this is not completely incorrect. I gathered this mostly from watching BBC. Since we're talking about the media, maybe the fact is that the English like to have a fat person to make fun of. This would explain why the nearly-as-obese British like to poke fun at American obesity. They also like to poke fun at Catholics, but that's besides the point.
    Most Europeans, including the Brits, just hate and despise Americans, full stop. (I say this as a Canadian, btw).

Again though, I really would hesitate to say that the UK problem is on the same scale as either the US or Canada. I've spent a lot less time in the US than in the UK, and I've seen a lot more people in the US who were literally square (and quite a few in Canada).
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ESFJ

Most Europeans, including the Brits, just hate and despise Americans, full stop. (I say this as a Canadian, btw).

Again though, I really would hesitate to say that the UK problem is on the same scale as either the US or Canada. I've spent a lot less time in the US than in the UK, and I've seen a lot more people in the US who were literally square (and quite a few in Canada).
    I can't speak for everyone but family and friends who have been to America have said how friendly the people are and what a welcoming country it is. My father told me some time back that if he were younger he would of considered emigrating there. That was an interesting link you posted, thanks for sharing.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP

Yup, I work with a lot of international youth and they're consistently surprised by how friendly we are. Then they get scared when I want to go drink beer and shoot things for fun.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    I can't speak for everyone but family and friends who have been to America have said how friendly the people are and what a welcoming country it is. My father told me some time back that if he were younger he would of considered emigrating there. That was an interesting link you posted, thanks for sharing.
    Oh damn. I was hoping the Brits/Europeans wouldn't notice that comment. Seriously though, I know Canadians are supposed to dislike Americans but it's nothing like what I've encountered over here. I end up defending AMericans on a regular basis. It's a bit weird.

I'm always fascinated by how if you go on the Comment Is Free section of the Guardian newspaper - regardless of what the story is about, people will always start bashing Americans and Israelis. It's quite an extraordinary feat of contortion sometimes.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ESFJ

Oh damn. I was hoping the Brits/Europeans wouldn't notice that comment. Seriously though, I know Canadians are supposed to dislike Americans but it's nothing like what I've encountered over here. I end up defending AMericans on a regular basis. It's a bit weird.

I'm always fascinated by how if you go on the Comment Is Free section of the Guardian newspaper - regardless of what the story is about, people will always start bashing Americans and Israelis. It's quite an extraordinary feat of contortion sometimes.
    How many Brits/Europeans are on this site? Someone was bound to notice

I know there is a stereotypical perception of Americans such as they need to shout at everyone who remotely looks different and those down south are 'redneck' commiting incest or having bodies in their basement, lol but i know thats bullshit, i hope it is.

I do not read the Guardian but now you've mentioned it, i may try once just to see for myself.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    do people actually order dessert in restaurants?!?
    Of course. I see a lot of very small portion desserts lately. Things in shot glasses or mini versions of the regular stuff. I think this is a great thing and obviously people are asking for it. One we got recently was a tiny brownie and tiny scoop of ice cream with a little hot fudge sauce. It was adorable and since we both had salads, I don't think it blew our diets. It's all about portion control.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.