User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
    http://win.niddk.nih.gov/statistics/

Over 2/3 of Americans are overweight and over 1/3 are obese. If you are at a healthy weight, you are seen as "skinny" and need to eat more.
    I tend to do this as well... see potentially normal-sized people as tiny/skinny..
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_bread

I read about that stuff in the wiki, the wiki calls what I understand to be potato bread potato farls, although they dont just get served in fries, you can toast them, eat them as is, fry them or grill them, I've known people who eat them with brown sugar or cream or jam but I think that'd be yuck, mind you there's some people who eat egg bread with those things and call it a sweet dish called french toast.
    Ahh, yes. I'm thinking potato bread like shows in the picture. I make potato farls! They are so yummy! I eat them either with jam or just plain. Yum.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    The greatest thing about America is that we have so much available to us. Where as most people buy that nasty bread at the supermarkets, you can easily go to a bakery and get something much better. I can get fatty cartoonized Mexican food at a chain resteraunt, or I can get lean tasty Mexican food at a family run place. Choose your own Adventure. We just need to foster a culture where people take advantage of that and make better choices.
    This really rings true to me. We can get anything we want here. When people think of fatty, salty, bland American food, that is only part of the story. We have fantastic food as well. The problem is that eating better food is more expensive and requires more effort. The way we have to work here makes it so that effort is extremely difficult to maintain. It's harder than it should be, because the bad food is cheap, readily available, and goes down easy. So to assuage guilt over not being able to make that effort, fat people say it's "glandular" or make a virtue of being fat as an exercise in self-esteem. I'm fat, and this is bullshit.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Portions are often very large here, especially in middle/lower class targeted, chain restaurants; but I don't necessarily see most people finishing all their food in restaurants. Take home containers are often offered & are an expected part of eating out for many people.

I have a small appetite & usually only eat a fraction of the food served. I've complained that I'd prefer less food, but better quality (or lower prices), and I DO seek that out as much as possible.

I was never taught to "clean my plate" as a kid, so I have no problem not eating all of my food (or NOT taking it home). My grandma is the only one who has ever tried to guilt me about wastefulness, but my mom always defended me saying it's also a waste to eat food you don't need. I think too large servings is mainly a problem when people eat more than they need because they've been conditioned to eat all their food.

The "bigger is better" mentality in the US is very real though (from cars to houses to boobs to food servings). I know people who just expect to get that much food, even if they would never eat it all. They feel gypped otherwise. Occasionally, some will eat it all, but you'll find such people are often "one meal a day" types.

Of course, I have to laugh when it's UKers making these observations - as if their country is not very close behind the US with its obesity rates....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

do people actually order dessert in restaurants?!?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Well, yeah. If they didn't, dessert wouldn't be on the menu.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Well, yeah. If they didn't, dessert wouldn't be on the menu.
    I totally thought that it was a conspiracy to make the menu look more impressive...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I did last night...but that's all I had, along with a drink.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I did last night...but that's all I had, along with a drink.
    THAT makes sense at least!

appetizer, entree and dessert sounds like DEATH or something :horor:

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glycerine View Post
    http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html
    http://win.niddk.nih.gov/statistics/

Over 2/3 of Americans are overweight and over 1/3 are obese. If you are at a healthy weight, you are seen as "skinny" and need to eat more.
    That's so crazy...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING