First 45678 Last

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

If I eat over 1000Kcal per day, I get fat.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yeah, I think we are used to seeing massively huge portions at restaurants, usually they serve about 3 in one plate- it doesn't even phase people. I've seen a lot of people complain when the portion sizes aren't big enough. The same is true for the size of American's themselves. When we see someone who is overweight, we see normal. When we see someone who is morbidly obese, we see big, but not morbidly obese. There's also this thing where people seem to think that eating three large meals and cleaning their plate every time is somehow the healthy thing to do. Before I go off on a huge tangential rant I'll stop.

At the end of the day, we eat a lot as a country- even our fruit is huge. And we are overweight as a country. (The OP example is a bit over the top, but the concept is still very true.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I've only been to the states once but yeah the portions were huge and the food was bland.

A side salad bowl is like a proper family sized serving bowl, same with a side of fries.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INTP

America is big

I, for one, am grateful for these serving sizes. Were I born in any other nation, I would have withered away by now.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I've only been to the states once but yeah the portions were huge and the food was bland.

A side salad bowl is like a proper family sized serving bowl, same with a side of fries.
    Bland? This ain't Sweden where ketchup is considered a spicy kick.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

pictures like that help me to rationally estimate before I make or order a meal, how much food I really need:

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Glycerine

Wow, I have been known to eat appetizer,meal, and desert all in one sitting.... I don't look at portions.... I just eat until I am full.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Bland? This ain't Sweden where ketchup is considered a spicy kick.
    I grew up in Canada and I'm half Scandinavian (Finnish). I now live in the UK.

There is a lot of unhealthy bland food in the UK too and the obesity rates are high here (though I have a distorted view of that because I live in London and people are on the skinny side). But I don't think the portions are generally as massive as in America. (Canada has a lot of similar problems but to a slightly lesser extent than America, I think).

But yeah, American food is bland, salty and fatty - and I don't think Scandinavian food is bland. It's not spicy, no, but it's tasty. Veeeerrrry tasty. If you compare good Scandinavian rye bread and bland white American bread...well, there is no comparison.

I think North Americans (both Canadians and Americans) have a distorted view as well based on too much emphasis on self-esteem and political correctness. People in North America will go on about how they're massively overweight because it's "glandular". Yes, you can have more of a tendency to become overweight than another person might. But saying it's all "glandular" and you have no control over your weight, although you're eating enormous amounts of rubbish and not nearly enough fruit, veg, etc is delusional. Europeans are more realistic about this sort of thing, in my experience. They don't tiptoe around health issues for the sake of political correctness, or not so much.

EDIT: I have had good, well-prepared food in the States too. And I quite enjoy the large portions, but I don't put on weight easily. But overall - too much bland salty fatty food and just way TOO MUCH of it.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I grew up in Canada and I'm half Scandinavian (Finnish). I now live in the UK.

There is a lot of unhealthy bland food in the UK too and the obesity rates are high here (though I have a distorted view of that because I live in London and people are on the skinny side). But I don't think the portions are generally as massive as in America. (Canada has a lot of similar problems but to a slightly lesser extent than America, I think).

But yeah, American food is bland, salty and fatty - and I don't think Scandinavian food is bland. It's not spicy, no, but it's tasty. Veeeerrrry tasty. If you compare good Scandinavian rye bread and bland white American bread...well, there is no comparison.

I think North Americans (both Canadians and Americans) have a distorted view as well based on too much emphasis on self-esteem and political correctness. People in North America will go on about how they're massively overweight because it's "glandular". Yes, you can have more of a tendency to become overweight than another person might. But saying it's all "glandular" and you have no control over your weight, although you're eating enormous amounts of rubbish and not nearly enough fruit, veg, etc is delusional. Europeans are more realistic about this sort of thing, in my experience. They don't tiptoe around health issues for the sake of political correctness, or not so much.

EDIT: I have had good, well-prepared food in the States too. And I quite enjoy the large portions, but I don't put on weight easily. But overall - too much bland salty fatty food and just way TOO MUCH of it.
    There are actually people who say its "glandular" ? Omg thats great hahahaha . Silly 'mericans
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    There are actually people who say its "glandular" ? Omg thats great hahahaha . Silly 'mericans
    In my experience (and this is in Canada too, to be fair - where there is also a massive obesity problem) there are LOADS of people who will say that.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING