User Tag List

First 12345 Last

When he spoke to the actual restaurantes who were not taking part in challenges or tourists they were always eating something less massive than he was, like the thin black guy who said he always had a polish (sausage) in the restaurant which was doing the big roast beef filled sandwiches dipped in gravy with some kind of spicy celery.

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    So being in the UK and having a stomach the size of a baby gerbil .. Are all the portion sizes large in the USA?

I don't want to say that all Americans are fat but whilst the chap was dining in the above places, almost all of the customers were on the large side. Not bloody surprising when you see the portion sizes but what is America doing to reduce the amount of obese people?
    I dunno. I lived in the UK for a few years...and certainly wasn't finding any 'gerbil sized stomach' portions there either. I mean...between the two countries...I honestly didn't notice a difference between portion sizes. In fact, in the US...I feel there are more healthy options available in the pubs and whatnot...not that people decide to choose them...but I feel there are more alternatives available here.

I also believe that including the calorie count on menus has its origins in the US. I think the obesity epidemic in the US has more to do with stress and a sedentary lifestyle...then overeating alone.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    When he spoke to the actual restaurantes who were not taking part in challenges or tourists they were always eating something less massive than he was, like the thin black guy who said he always had a polish (sausage) in the restaurant which was doing the big roast beef filled sandwiches dipped in gravy with some kind of spicy celery.
    I didn't see that part

I just noticed people looking a little larger than average but then they do say that the camera puts several pounds on the person. Also the following show in Pittsburgh where he ate the VERY hot chicken wings at The Lube .. The people were largeand they were only eating wings. There is nothing on a wing.

Ultimately each to their own .. When i was in Toronto and ate at Quizno's, i purchased a footlong and had to eat half for my lunch and half for my tea. Like i said, i was just curious as to the portion sizes.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    I dunno. I lived in the UK for a few years...and certainly wasn't finding any 'gerbil sized stomach' portions there either. I mean...between the two countries...I honestly didn't notice a difference between portion sizes. In fact, in the US...I feel there are more healthy options available in the pubs and whatnot...not that people decide to choose them...but I feel there are more alternatives available here.

I also believe that including the calorie count on menus has its origins in the US. I think the obesity epidemic in the US has more to do with stress and a sedentary lifestyle...then overeating alone.
    No, i didn't say the portion sizes in the UK are 'gerbil sized', i said my stomach is 'gerbil sized' so i eat accordingly or else i'll be ill. I haven't seen the portion sizes for myself other than from a TV screen so i couldn't possibly comment if i know of a difference between UK and USA sizes. I noticed a TV programme and commented on what i saw to get a better understanding.

That is cool that there are healthy alternatives and calorie content on the menu

Ahhh .. Stress, a killer in so many different ways.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

I didn't see that part

I just noticed people looking a little larger than average but then they do say that the camera puts several pounds on the person. Also the following show in Pittsburgh where he ate the VERY hot chicken wings at The Lube .. The people were largeand they were only eating wings. There is nothing on a wing.

Ultimately each to their own .. When i was in Toronto and ate at Quizno's, i purchased a footlong and had to eat half for my lunch and half for my tea. Like i said, i was just curious as to the portion sizes.
    I could eat a foot long but its a good idea to do that too, better probably than being over full and then not hungry later.

I fail to understand what's so difficult about self-monitoring portions. It's like saying that if you buy groceries, you have to eat them all in one sitting. If a dish is good, I'll doggie bag the left-overs which can equal more than half the dish, based on American sizing. If it's not good, the balance gets left.

p.s. I was raised to believe that the African children would starve to death if you didn't finish your food. But I refused to abide by the sheer stupidity, even as a child which caused all kinds of conflicts with my parents. Tough.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I could eat a foot long but its a good idea to do that too, better probably than being over full and then not hungry later.
    Don't get me wrong, i have moments where i eat like a dumper truck but mostly i ate very slow and chew more (always the last to leave the table) as i know i'll be fuller quicker and less likely to be hungry later.

Again, each to their own
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    p.s. I was raised to believe that the African children would starve to death if you didn't finish your food. But I refused to abide by the sheer stupidity, even as a child which caused all kinds of conflicts with my parents. Tough.
    I had that one thrown at me. I didn't like the sausage casserole as a child and at 32 i still don't. Is someone really going to die because i didn't eat casserole? I saw straight through that one and put my foot down. One of the few times i managed to out stubborn my mother.
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

No, i didn't say the portion sizes in the UK are 'gerbil sized', i said my stomach is 'gerbil sized' so i eat accordingly or else i'll be ill. I haven't seen the portion sizes for myself other than from a TV screen so i couldn't possibly comment if i know of a difference between UK and USA sizes. I noticed a TV programme and commented on what i saw to get a better understanding.

That is cool that there are healthy alternatives and calorie content on the menu

Ahhh .. Stress, a killer in so many different ways.
    Oh yah no LOL. I actually knew you were referring to yourself. What I was thinking but didn't write...was there were times when I was in France where I actually did receive 'gerbil sized portions' at restaurants. And I'd be super hungry thinking...'ah...I just dropped $60 on this?' But in the UK...I never 'went hungry' so to speak. It was all comparable. In fact...everywhere I've travelled/lived abroad - it has always been basically the same. I think the US has more restaurants though that specialize in 'super-sized portions' (as their 'draw' or 'gimic'). But again...I don't necessarily attribute these type of places to the obesity problem in America.

Like I was saying I think it is a big combination of issues. Stress, processed foods, eating on-the-go, sedentary lifestyle, etc.

Interesting thread saslou

I had that one thrown at me. I didn't like the sausage casserole as a child and at 32 i still don't. Is someone really going to die because i didn't eat casserole? I saw straight through that one and put my foot down. One of the few times i managed to out stubborn my mother.
    Seriously.

I dunno. Always been the type of person who while enjoying food, only ate until I was comfortable. Even today, I eat one meal a day and graze the rest. Also forget to eat sometimes. Cannot understand the food fixation, even though my family's fixated on food. Stuffing myself silly doesn't give me comfort. If anything, it makes me really uncomfortable. Strangely enough, never had a weight problem either. Go figure...