User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Default Bird in my kitchen

Well, not actually IN my kitchen, but perched on the window screen. It's just sort of hanging there, looking in. It has been there for at least 15 minutes, just blinking at me when I walk past. My son sat 18 inches from it and ate a snack just now, and it didn't budge. I'm thinking it's stuck somehow, but it doesn't look injured and its beak isn't stuck in the wire. What would you do?

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

My answer for everything of this nature...get a stick, poke it & see what happens.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

MBTI
    INXP

Kind of looks like a woodpecker... by the shape of a beak, and they often hang at this angle. Just give it time to rest up and fly off?

On a related note, I was leaving the house one morning, and did that "sense check" one tends to do when departing. Cat in one basket, check. Other cat on sofa, check. Blackbird sitting in other basket.. check... What?? Yep, there was a bird in the house in a cat basket. Not the best Darwinian evolutionary strategy, one would say. It then panicked and flew around the house. The cats gave me that "do you mind, we are trying to sleep" look, despite the fact that one of them was clearly the perpetrator. The bird then flew and hid in the bread bin in the kitchen, which i was able to close, and release it to the wilds. It was the best excuse for being late at work I've ever had

-Geoff

MBTI
    INTJ

I recommend freeing it from its trapped misery (by way of 12ga.).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    My answer for everything of this nature...get a stick, poke it & see what happens.
    I didn't do this, but I did open the window to see if its toes were stuck. It didn't seem alarmed or anything and just sort of shifted around. I don't think it's stuck, but I can't figure out why it's not scared of us at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Kind of looks like a woodpecker... by the shape of a beak, and they often hang at this angle. Just give it time to rest up and fly off?
    I think that's what I'm going to do, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    On a related note, I was leaving the house one morning, and did that "sense check" one tends to do when departing. Cat in one basket, check. Other cat on sofa, check. Blackbird sitting in other basket.. check... What?? Yep, there was a bird in the house in a cat basket. Not the best Darwinian evolutionary strategy, one would say. It then panicked and flew around the house. The cats gave me that "do you mind, we are trying to sleep" look, despite the fact that one of them was clearly the perpetrator. The bird then flew and hid in the bread bin in the kitchen, which i was able to close, and release it to the wilds. It was the best excuse for being late at work I've ever had

-Geoff
    Weird! How did you miss its singing in the dead of night, before that morning?

I was once housesitting and a bright red cardinal flew into the house through the chimney and started flapping about. The whole thing's a blur but I think it ended up going back through the chimney.

And then, when I was in college, when I had super-long hair, a blue jay swooped down and started pecking at my head when I was walking across campus. I seem to attract weird bird stories.

MBTI
    XNXP

I wonder if its a Flicker ?

*tries to think of the name of the bird he remembers from childhood*
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTP

I'd say it's a woodpecker of some sort too -- dig the zygodactyl toes! Prolly a juvenile -- worn out and taking a break. *shrugs*

S'cool though. Any updates?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I wonder if its a Flicker ?

*tries to think of the name of the bird he remembers from childhood*
    Can't really beat yellow-bellied sapsucker for a name...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It's still there. I opened the window and tried to poke its talons out so it could fly away, but it keeps shoving them back in. I think it must just be a young'n who is afraid to let go.

I called Animal Control but nobody is available to come out right now. I can't reach the window from the outside so there's nothing I can do for it right now.

MBTI
    type

Try a baby Northern flicker.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.