User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Well, I went out and tried to gently pry it away with a long stick. It just kept shoving its little talons back in the screen. I didn't really want to touch it but after Animal Control pretty much said "deal with it yourself" I kind of thought I didn't have a choice. I got the ladder out and set it up by the window, and went inside for a towel.

But wait! NF friend to the rescue. At that moment, she called, and I happened to mention to her that I was screwing up the nerve to go grab a live bird off my kitchen window screen. She said "Wait, I'll be there in five minutes." So she came and went up to help the bird, but it flew away before she could touch it. Weird.

It flew to the bottom of a nearby tree and it was just sitting there, not flying away when we went to investigate it. It didn't look injured-- just a little dumb or dazed or something. We were contemplating taking it to the wildlife refuge when it took off into the woods.

MBTI
    type

It's probably just a fledgling and not too good at flying. From my experience with chimney swifts, some of these "vertical object clinging" birds seem to have problems with not being stuck to the side of something (tree, house, etc).

Its parents are probably around somewhere.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    It's probably just a fledgling and not too good at flying. From my experience with chimney swifts, some of these "vertical object clinging" birds seem to have problems with not being stuck to the side of something (tree, house, etc).
    If it was a "horizontal object clinger" then maybe it would be a ledgeling.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    There's a bird's nest in my dryer hose. Again.

WTF do I do about it?
    Wrens, starlings, or English sparrows?

if it's wrens, then that might be one of the many nests the male wren built to interest the female wren. She will pick the one she likes and completely dismantle the nest and rebuild it. (Which means the rejected nests will be abandoned.)

If it's starlings or house sparrows AND you're in the US, you have my sympathy, but the birds don't. Those are invasive species from Europe and are some of the few songbirds that are not protected from being hunted. (IIRC--check your local laws.) Starlings and house sparrows deprive native cavity nesters of nesting space.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    If it was a "horizontal object clinger" then maybe it would be a ledgeling.
    Whereas ground clingers are groundlings....

MBTI
    INTP

So they like Shakespeare?

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The Globe's shape and size have been pieced together by scholarly inquiry over the last two centuries. The evidence suggests that it was a three-story, 100-foot (30.5m) wide, open-air amphitheatre that could house around 3,000 spectators. The Globe is shown as a round building on a contemporary engraving of London. On this basis, some assume the building was circular, while others favour a polygonal shape. Archaeological evidence suggests the playhouse had twenty sides.[7]

[B]At the base of the stage, there was an area called the pit,[8] (or, harking back to the old inn-yards, yard) where, for a penny, people (the "groundlings") would stand to watch the performance. Groundlings would stand and eat hazelnuts during performances.
    Globe Theatre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    So she came and went up to help the bird, but it flew away before she could touch it. Weird.
    I have that reaction to NFs, too.

Uh-oh. Here comes one now...
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    XNXP

Or wearing drag in the hopes of getting sent back to the USA *grumblings*
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTP

But the bird was a screenling. Like all of us on this board.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    I have that reaction to NFs, too.

Uh-oh. Here comes one now...
    They are scary, with all the hugging and talking. Runaway! Runawayfast!