• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Microwaving Turkeys

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there any reason to own anything but a very small microwave? I know there are cookbooks from the '80s telling you how to microwave a Thanksgiving turkey, but why would you want to? I need to buy one.. and I can't think of a reason not to get a cheap small one.

Or instead of advice, just tell me what the biggest thing you've put in a microwave is.

Beorn

Permabanned
I can't remember anything particularly large.

But, as long as your thinking about what not to get... avoid getting a microwave with a grill rack. I've used a microwave with a grill rack for 2 years and had to remove and replace the damn thing every time i microwave something in one of my taller bowls or clean. I have never used it once and I only just thought to go ahead and throw it under the oven for good.

rav3n

Eew! The only meat that tastes good from being cooked in the microwave is poached fish. Even scrambled eggs taste ick.

Maybe the question should be, do you plan to entertain? If so, what's the maximum number of people and is there anything like frozen veggies that you might be serving?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ahh, good point, frozen veggies.. large portions of stuff cooked beforehand for company. Not sure why I didn't think of the obvious, it's been a long time since I've entertained, I guess I was trying to think of why I would ever want to microwave 16 Hot Pockets.

Microwaved bacon. That can't be bad, right?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
turkeys walking around in circles in a microwaves than KABLAM!!!!!!!!!!!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Ahh, good point, frozen veggies.. large portions of stuff cooked beforehand for company. Not sure why I didn't think of the obvious, it's been a long time since I've entertained, I guess I was trying to think of why I would ever want to microwave 16 Hot Pockets.

Just use the already cooked bacon. The only good thing to cook in a microwave is the 5 minute chocolate cake in a mug.

Chocolate+cake+in+a+mug.jpg

Chocolate cake in a mug

4 tbsp of self-raising flour
4 tbsp of sugar (I used light brown)
2 tbsp cocoa
1 egg
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp oil
Anything you want to add!

Place all in the dry ingredients in a mug (or a jug and then pour it into the mug once you’re ready to cook it) and mix to combine. Add the wet ingredients and mix well, making sure there are no little pockets of flour.

Microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes* until it has risen and springs back to the touch**

Posh Chocolate cake in a mug

50g dark chocolate
3 tbsp butter
4 tbsp self-raising flour
3 tbsp sugar (again, I used light brown)
1 egg
3 tbsp milk

Melt the chocolate and butter together (you might as well use the microwave) and stir to combine. Mix all of the ingredients together (mug or jug, it’s up to you) and cook in the microwave for 2.5 to 3 minutes***.

* Bear in mind that microwaves vary so this is just a guide. Most of the recipes state 3 minutes but 2.5 was fine in mine. Plus…

** …they will carry on cooking in the mug so don’t cook them for too long. Also, beware, these things are hot. I burnt my tongue on the cake (more than once but I have zero patience when it comes to chocolate cake) so watch any little people that might be joining you.

*** Again watch the time. I zapped mine for 2.5 minutes and found a lovely pool of liquid chocolaty cake mix at the bottom. I love it but I know it’s not to everyone’s taste.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
is tbsp = tablespoon ?

4 tablespoons of sugar and butter and oil and chocoloate in a mug ? How the hell can you keep your figure ? :D

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
is tbsp = tablespoon ?

4 tablespoons of sugar and butter and oil and chocoloate in a mug ? How the hell can you keep your figure ? :D

I don't eat it. I don't really like chocolate much but my ENFJ...he likes his chocolate and this way I don't have an entire cake sitting around to tempt him.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yea dont tell me, my girl is french they basically invented chocolate :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
OMG are you joking?

I could never cook with just a small microwave. If you actually like variety in your recipes this is absolutely absurd. No homemade borscht or quiche made from scratch or homemade pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for you.

Even eggs are weird in the microwave, like Jenaphor said.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Microwave bacon is one of the few things that is possibly BETTER in the microwave -- but only if you turn it properly every minute and continue using new paper towels to drain the fat. I can make perfectly beautiful crisp bacon in the microwave that beats the hell out of the skillet (learned this from my ESFJ ex) but there is a technique to it.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I use the microwave to warm a meal that has gotten cold .

The microwave is the one thing in the kitchen I would donate to the welfare any time

You my friends, have no style :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I use the microwave to warm a meal that has gotten cold .

The microwave is the one thing in the kitchen I would donate to the welfare any time

You my friends, have no style :D

Dude I'd rather have an open fire in a hearth with a cauldron than just a small microwave. It's difficult to even make beans or rice in the microwave.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yea, you got style :D

I was raised in a very conservative family my parents were always afraid the microwave could explode. They both didnt trust much into technology and tho I've inherited their scepticism I dont share the same disrespect for technology. Still since I grew up totally without a microwave and nowadays have one only thru my gf who basically lets me cook, I am not used to using the thing. Dont think that will change :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Microwave bacon is one of the few things that is possibly BETTER in the microwave -- but only if you turn it properly every minute and continue using new paper towels to drain the fat. I can make perfectly beautiful crisp bacon in the microwave that beats the hell out of the skillet (learned this from my ESFJ ex) but there is a technique to it.

Yes but then you can't fry eggs in the bacon grease or make bacon gravy and biscuits. I may not like chocolate or ice cream but I do like both of those, on occasion.

rav3n

While I can't stand bacon, my son loves it so I do it in the regular oven using the broiler and broiler pan, so the fat drips down and the bacon stays crispy.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
While I can't stand bacon, my son loves it so I do it in the regular oven using the broiler and broiler pan, so the fat drips down and the bacon stays crispy.

This is the best way to cook bacon. Plus it stays nice and uncurled.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think if one day God would leave America the new God would be called bacon :D

rav3n

This is the best way to cook bacon. Plus it stays nice and uncurled.
Yes! And I don't have to worry about not having enough room on the pan since he's such a hoover with food! Lucky he's got the typical teenage boy metabolism or he'd really pack it on. As it stands, he's 6' tall wearing a 30" waist pant and only because they don't make 28" waist with 34" inseams! :laugh: