• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Microwaving Turkeys

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OMG are you joking?

I could never cook with just a small microwave. If you actually like variety in your recipes this is absolutely absurd. No homemade borscht or quiche made from scratch or homemade pumpkin chocolate chip cookies for you.

Even eggs are weird in the microwave, like Jenaphor said.

Hah! This is funny. I've got a stove. What's more is that I'm pumped that it is a gas stove... so much better for cooking.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ugh, that's a lot to clean.

You can do a lot of cooking in the microwave, you just have to learn how to use it -- how to change the temperature, the fact that you have to stop and stir things, etc. I buy all my vegetables and rice frozen in the microwave steamable bags, and I like to cook and freeze things, so I use mine a good bit, for defrosting and warming up. The only thing I'd advise is to make sure it has a rotating tray. Other than that ... size probably doesn't matter.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Even Stouffer's frozen mac and cheese casserole that is okay for microwaving tastes soooo much better in the oven (it gets a little brown and crispy on top, and you can add some extra cheese, it really just tastes blander in the microwave).

However, I agree that things like frozen vegetables and rice in the bag are easily microwaved without dirtying a pan, and that it's absolutely silly to not microwave certain already-prepared food items one can purchase at the store.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Or instead of advice, just tell me what the biggest thing you've put in a microwave is.

I've dethawed whole chickens in a microwave. Never a turkey, though. It's honestly not the greatest thing for the bird, but it can be a quick fix if you're cooking dinner and forgot to pull out something in time for it to dethaw normally.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Get two regular sized ovens stacked on top of each other.

Never know when you're going to need that.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Microwaving is for lazy people. When are these people going to get off their butts and start cooking with fire like a real man?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Microwaving is for lazy people. When are these people going to get off their butts and start cooking with fire like a real man?

yeaaah !

Total-international-Dozenten-bekochen-Dozenten_ArtikelQuer.jpg

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
usually the cheap small ones have lower power than the regular-size ones, and take forever to cook food. Now that I have a non-cheap microwave, I can actually cook microwave popcorn (nearly) completely without burning it. Before I'd get a half-full bag of half-burned popcorn. :dry:

and having things cook in 1-2 instead of 3-5 minutes is nice, too. But the size alone? Probably not a factor for most people. I don't think I cook anything larger than a dinner plate in there.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I do like a microwave thats tall enough to fit my favorite coffee mug in. Also I have a big freezer and thus like a microwave big enough to defrost roasts before I pop them in the oven.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I do like a microwave thats tall enough to fit my favorite coffee mug in. Also I have a big freezer and thus like a microwave big enough to defrost roasts before I pop them in the oven.

There is no need to defrost a roast prior to putting it in the oven.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
There is no need to defrost a roast prior to putting it in the oven.

Really? Even when its rock solid? Regardless, I Barbecue enough where I like to defrost a tritip roast and my barbecue is not one to do those completely frozen and it makes it easier to quckly marinate or rub. (perhaps planning ahead so I will have enough time is my real problem ;-) )

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I could see not having to defrost a roast.. it's a low temperature thing, and the aim is gelatinizing all that connective tissue and fat for moisture, so if you have a fatty enough cut, it won't be ever be 'dry'. /roast theory

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Really? Even when its rock solid? Regardless, I Barbecue enough where I like to defrost a tritip roast and my barbecue is not one to do those completely frozen and it makes it easier to quckly marinate or rub. (perhaps planning ahead so I will have enough time is my real problem ;-) )

Actually anything I'm grilling, be it steaks or beef and lamb chunks for kebabs, chicken, I like to freeze it in the marinade. Small things like chicken breasts or steaks I will defrost and they marinate as they thaw. It's a very good time saving method and they taste great. I can grab a bag of whatever in the morning, stick it in the fridge and all I have to do for dinner is put it on the grill.

Green_Pine

I will be that guy and say, you can cook in a microwave...but is it the best choice?

Probably not, not only from taste standards.

The high heat generated from a microwave also has potential to alter the chemical structure of the food.

Not good. When in doubt, do what nature will agree with.

Because you can fight nature...but will never win.