User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default jumping cats = total bastards

the cats are assholes... no matter how often I remove them from countertops, kitchen islands or dresser tops where they should NOT be, they keep jumping right back up there... this evening one of the little bastards jumped up onto some cupcakes I had sitting on the counter, which pissed me off and distracted me from the cabbage I was trying to cut in half, causing me to slice my thumb

the horrible little creature was right back up there in a minute... this time licking up the blood that I'd dripped across the counter

a. are cats vampires?

b. is there any way to keep them from jumping places where they shouldn't short of tying their tails to cannonballs or cutting off their feet?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Cats aren't assholes. They instinctively want to be AT THE HIGHEST PLACE. They share this instinct with big cats.

Buy them kitty houses, towers, or some other tall object they are allowed to be on top of.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

they have LOTS of high places that they are allowed to be... including some shelving systems taller than me! However, it is NOT acceptable to jump onto the counter and they can't seem to understand this... dogs are so much easier to teach
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

I'm a total bastard?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I'm a total bastard?
    I'm sure that some people would think so, but I was referring to the type who are small and tend to meow around in people's houses and such!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    they have LOTS of high places that they are allowed to be... including some shelving systems taller than me! However, it is NOT acceptable to jump onto the counter and they can't seem to understand this... dogs are so much easier to teach
    All of the cats in the house where I live were trained to stay off of food surfaces with water guns. I recommend them.

But kittens can be a handful, if you've got young ones.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

they're about 6 months old

really though, NEVER destroy my cupcakes

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water. Or use a water gun, but a spray bottle will leak less and make less of a mess overall. Cats HATE water. If you spray them with a water every time they do something you don't want them to do, they will stop. And after the first couple of squirts, it's even usually enough to just shake the bottle (the sound alone starts deterring them).
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

I haven't known any vampire cats before. But I had a cat like this once (he was half-feral, so he was a scavenger and unfortunately, a vicious hunter too..). I dealt with it by pushing him straight off (in a rather rapid manner) whenever he would jump up and he soon learned not to do it. He still did it to others in the family who weren't so assertive though, so... The water method works too, except for the odd cat that actually likes water.

MBTI
    INFJ

Cat's always like to have the highest elevation advantage for a reason:

INFJ; 9w1 so/sp/sx; EII; RCOAI; Neutral Good