User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    He's pretty good with bedtime stuff, as long as he can get into one of the two bedrooms. It's only if he's trapped with nowhere to go that he cries for attention. Typically he comes into my room and starts purring loudly as soon as he gets on my bed... I do often have to take him off my face 2-3x before he settles (he typically does that kneeding thing with his paws, sometimes on my shoulder) but he gets over it quickly.
    You can train him too to sleep at the end of your bed. We bought one of those "princess pillows" and continually removed the cat from faces to foot spaces and after a while, that's where she would always sleep. She preferred our daughter's bed to ours, probably one of the factors was that her feet didn't reach to the end of the bed!

He's also managed to open doors. The little bastard. I've watched him freak out when he wanted out of my bedroom -- he jumped up, grabbed the doorknob, and swung back and forth until he got it open, then ran out of the room. I was like "WTH?????" He's only done it once, but he simultaneously pisses me off as well as amazes me with his intelligence and craftiness.
    lol I just read this. Our son swears that our cat opened his bedroom door once, and we just laugh and laugh about that one! Clever kitty!

I got him at ten weeks old, he was never an indoor cat for anyone else, and he's now at least 20-24 weeks old, and he's just a little bastard.
    So your l'il bastard sweet darling is still very young ... he will learn. Cats are less tractable than dogs for sure though; that long-term consistency was helpful for us.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I guess the water doesn’t work for as many cats as I would have thought. It worked with all three of mine, for everything, even scratching the ends of the sofas. I mean if they so much as saw me reaching for the water bottle, they’d bolt (so it even worked in spite of any association they’d made between people and the water). I guess I’m just lucky though.

The tape idea sounds good. That sounds like something they’d hate too. It really would have to be hidden though- I can imagine my cats would probably find the highest vantage point on other furniture to check for the placemats on the counter (by sight) before giving up on jumping. (Plus, like Jennifer mentioned, I’d be too lazy to implement this system consistently.) It’s probably a matter of trying all of it and seeing which works best for each cat.

I don’t know if other people have any luck with noises being a deterrent (Jennifer mentioned yelling in bossy boss-lady voice), but something that worked with a friend’s dog is putting a bunch of metal nuts and bolts into a can and shaking it. Personally, my cats are impervious to noises. They make it clear when unpleasant noises disturb their sleep, but sirens/alarms/yelling noises do f**-all as a deterrent for bad behavior. The water bottle really did work best for me.

[edit:] There's a good chance- because they clearly made an association between us and the water bottle- they did certain behaviors while we weren't around at first. But I think ultimately it's too much work to remember what they can & can't get away with when no one is looking because they stopped scratching furniture while no one was home. Things that are 'off limits' sometimes become unappealing because it's too much work to remember the conditions which avoid consequences.

Also: @ vala faye's comment, I don't know how much being an indoor cat has to do with water aversion. All my cats, even the ones my family had while growing up, were all exclusively indoor cats- most of which had never spent more than an hour outside in their entire life-but all of them had a serious aversion to water. I can't remember the reason most speculated just now, but cats are just born with it.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    I don’t know if other people have any luck with noises being a deterrent (Jennifer mentioned yelling in bossy boss-lady voice),
    I don't even need to yell, I just get that stern/cross ("HEY") voice, and he's gone.
    It's rather funny, because when I talk normally, he's all over me.

I guess it is to be expected, but it's rather amazing how much variance in personality and responsiveness the cats (and other pets) have.

Today I stepped on him on the steps (when my foot lifted, he wasn't there; and when it came down, he was), and he didn't like that much. I hope that taught him to stop walking under my feet all the time when I'm trying to get somewhere, but I am not holding out much hope...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    You can train him too to sleep at the end of your bed. We bought one of those "princess pillows" and continually removed the cat from faces to foot spaces and after a while, that's where she would always sleep. She preferred our daughter's bed to ours, probably one of the factors was that her feet didn't reach to the end of the bed!
    Lol... I actually am okay with him sleeping near my head, and nowadays he usually settles within a minute or two. When I first got him, he ended up in the hallway a few nights the first week because he persisted in doing things like (1) playing with my hair, (2) walking all over my face, (3) chasing his tail frantically right on my stomach, (4) pouncing on me due to the movement of the comforter when I shifted position, and I just couldn't sleep, and he wouldn't stop. But now I just gently put him back on his blanket, and after biting my fingers a few times, he'll go to sleep.

lol I just read this. Our son swears that our cat opened his bedroom door once, and we just laugh and laugh about that one! Clever kitty!
    Wait until he opens the fridge and starts cooking all your fish!

So your l'il bastard sweet darling is still very young ... he will learn. Cats are less tractable than dogs for sure though; that long-term consistency was helpful for us.
    Yes, dogs typically seem to want to please; cats indulge you when it amuses them, and otherwise do what they want.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I hope that taught him to stop walking under my feet all the time when I'm trying to get somewhere, but I am not holding out much hope...
    This may be the single only thing I have never been able to get them to stop doing- walking under my feet, it drives me bonkers. Well, that and hairballs. They have control over walking under my feet though.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    This may be the single only thing I have never been able to get them to stop doing- walking under my feet, it drives me bonkers. Well, that and hairballs. They have control over walking under my feet though.
    He does it on the steps, which is worse.. I can see him as I approach the steps from upstairs... I see him peeking up over the edge, with his little tail flicking. He acts like I can't see him if he crouches enough. So I'm always trying to dodge this unpredictable moving cat as I go downstairs.

Last night I accidentally kicked him down the steps as he threw himself in front of my feet when i was descending.

I don't know how the cat ladies do it. Can you imagine 25 of these little tabbies and tigers, all squirming and circling and climbing over each other if they think you have food?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

*reads all the stories in the thread*

Yup, cats are assholes.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    the cats are assholes... no matter how often I remove them from countertops, kitchen islands or dresser tops where they should NOT be, they keep jumping right back up there... this evening one of the little bastards jumped up onto some cupcakes I had sitting on the counter, which pissed me off and distracted me from the cabbage I was trying to cut in half, causing me to slice my thumb

the horrible little creature was right back up there in a minute... this time licking up the blood that I'd dripped across the counter

a. are cats vampires?

b. is there any way to keep them from jumping places where they shouldn't short of tying their tails to cannonballs or cutting off their feet?
    on

A little late on this one but you can buy these things I call "cat mines" - they are mouse traps that have a plastic paddle attached to the bail. You set them and place them on places where you don't want the cat to jump and when they set them off the paddle gives them a nice but safe "thwack" and whole thing jumps around like crazy scaring the crap out of them.

If nothing else its good for a laugh.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    INTP

"Last night I accidentally kicked him down the steps as he threw himself in front of my feet when i was descending."

I boosted my buddies cat in low earth orbit a couple of weeks ago. We both came in late from a bar and we decided to have a night cap at his place. Well the cat is all excited to see us (very social) and while we're blundering around in the dark trying to locate the fridge and a couple of beers I managed to boot the cat into the next room.

He just got in front of my feet as I made a beeline for the gents and I caught him like I was making a field goal. I felt kinda bad for him but he seemed fine.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by jimrckhnd View Post
    "Last night I accidentally kicked him down the steps as he threw himself in front of my feet when i was descending."

I boosted my buddies cat in low earth orbit a couple of weeks ago. We both came in late from a bar and we decided to have a night cap at his place. Well the cat is all excited to see us (very social) and while we're blundering around in the dark trying to locate the fridge and a couple of beers I managed to boot the cat into the next room.

He just got in front of my feet as I made a beeline for the gents and I caught him like I was making a field goal. I felt kinda bad for him but he seemed fine.
    lol... i know, it's amazing how resilient they are. Those long contortionist bodies... They can really fly if you catch them right, though.