• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vacationing Alone

KDude

As much as I like to do things on my own, this is probably not one of them. Sounds like a Mr. Bean episode.

Mole

Permabanned
Hi
I have never gone on a vacation alone. But i personally think that one should spend some quality amount of time with oneself. I think it is a good idea.

Sure, it is similar to taking oneself on a date.

A date with oneself is a way of accessing our creativity.

We take ourselves to somewhere we would really like to go, and we attend to ourselves, we let ourselves be, we make ourselves happy, and we wait and see what happens. It's like attending to the inner artist.

I imagine taking oneself on a holiday is like take oneself on a date. It's for the creative.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I wasn't sure where to put this thread, so here it is.

I am now working a job I love and hope to stay employed with for a long time, and trying to get myself ready to possibly purchase a house in the next year to year and a half.

Before I settle down into a mortgage payment and grown up responsibilities again, I want to take a damned vacation. I am thinking to go alone, not even TK.

Has anyone done this before?

What was their experience, was it a waste of time, or does that open up more free time to spend really doing the things you enjoy?

Thoughts?

I moved to another major city all by my lonesome. It was a great experience and a lot of fun! Los Angeles was memorable :).

But I think it depends on where your visiting. I also went on a trip to Boston by myself and it sucked. I felt super alone and was kind of bored. It didnt feel like a welcoming city to me.

Where do you want to go?

Last edited:

M_Kirch

When I was in Hong Kong I spent one week touring the city alone. My favorite part is to ride the tram all over HK. You can literally tour this international city though the tramways alone, and observe the people too at a very personal level. I spent most of the hot part of the day in the library or in the parks, and I also took two classes of Aikido which was so cool. Of course I've had companions before on my first vacation, but I found vacationing alone has its joys and you can do new things.
Surprise yourself. =)

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
I have found that going on trips alone is a good way to want to be around people again. I have only had good experiences with it.

Horrible Aesthete

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been backpacking, mostly in Asia, but also Europe, Africa, and South America, since I was about nineteen, and always alone. I much prefer travelling alone, as I am afforded more freedom, and also I am intensely introverted, so constant human contact tends to wear me out. This is not to say that I do not on occasion meet people and travel with them for a time. What you propose sounds lovely. My favorite place is Nepal, and the town of Pokhara might fit the bill.

Porcelain Hearts

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Traveling alone is probably the best company you can ever ask for. I've explored Rome on my own for one month, then met up and traveled with my friend to see southern Italy for one week. I much preferred being alone since it was in my nature to appease my friend and it would make it hard to enjoy myself for the sake of things. I'd have to confirm if she's okay with something, etc. By yourself, you wouldn't have to.

When I was alone, I spoke to everyone I could (you wouldn't believe how non-English speaking Rome is). I made new friends. I learned enough basic Italian to get around and loved the independence I had, sometimes without a map... just a bus number that hopefully brought me from point A to point B. I'm dying to experience that again... I wouldn't vacation anywhere for less than a month because I need to have enough time to feel like a local and absorb the culture. I rented a room in Rome, I came home to a house, I made my own food. That's the way it should be.

A

Anew Leaf

I have found that going on trips alone is a good way to want to be around people again. I have only had good experiences with it.

This is what I am hoping. :laugh:

I am going for a short vacation to Glacier National Park by myself in June. It will come off a week business trip where I am going to have to share a bedroom with my ENFP employee. Ugh. I am going to be craving alone time ere long.

NotOfTwo

small potatoes
MBTI Type
INTP
This is what I am hoping. :laugh:

I am going for a short vacation to Glacier National Park by myself in June. It will come off a week business trip where I am going to have to share a bedroom with my ENFP employee. Ugh. I am going to be craving alone time ere long.

Except for sharing room with employee, sounds AWESOME. I have not been there, but the pictures are stunning. What do you want to see there?