123 Last

Thread: Birdwatching

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Default Birdwatching

Does anyone else enjoy birdwatching as a hobby?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I love birds. I have a pet ring neck dove and I am obsessed with penguins. I have a butterfly bush that attracts humming birds and I like to sit by the window and watch them move around! But I do not go to parks to watch them, if they are there then I will watch.

Used to go with my parents and siblings, but I haven't recently. Maybe I'll set up a birdfeeder this winter by the front porch.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I used to go out birding all the time.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Absolutely. I do have a pair of society finches but I'm more into birdwatching than aviculture. I go birding whenever I get the chance... owl season is right around the corner here, and I've been improving my gull ID skills before they arrive in droves to loaf around on the ice so I can hopefully spot a rarity or two. In the spring I bird mostly by ear with all the different sparrows and warblers. I'm a big fan of owls and birds of prey in general (and shrikes!). I love winter wrens and mockingbirds, too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    584 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Your avatar and this thread made me laugh (uncomfortably). The last serious birder I knew ended up being a rapist pedophile...

That being said, I try to ID all the birds I see or hear whenever I am outdoors. I rarely go out just for the birds but I enjoy the wilderness with them in it.
    Last edited by Tiger Owl; 11-13-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    INTJ 5w4 sx/sp 584 ILI-Ni

NPcomplete

I went birdwatching with a friend and her mother once. I wasn't able to spot most of the birds by myself but once I got into it, it got pretty interesting.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I used to bird almost everyday back before my neck and shoulders gave out. There were some important birding spots within walking distance of my house. I think my most important or interesting find was a Broad-Winged Hawk. This was an extremely difficult id to make, but luckily the bird stayed around for a few days. The most relevant aspect in solving the id problem was the fact that, the first time I saw it, this hawk had a snake in its claws. The fact that it's not very shy was telling too. But most of the hawks that migrate through here don't go after snakes. And in this case, our area is not part of its migration pattern, so it was a very rare find.

Edit - the BW Hawk is not shy, but bears many resemblances to the Red-Shouldered Hawk which is extremely shy. Perhaps the only telling distinction is that the RS Hawk will take off like a bat out of hell, while my BW Hawk just sat there and let me video tape it from 20 yards away.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP

Not especially, but I was working at Bosque del Apache NWR as the Sandhill Cranes were beginning to arrive recently. Honestly I don't care much for the birds themselves but the management scheme for the refuge was absolutely fascinating. Glad I was able to help it along .

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius does in fits and starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.