First 123 Last

Thread: Birdwatching

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    Not especially, but I was working at Bosque del Apache NWR as the Sandhill Cranes were beginning to arrive recently. Honestly I don't care much for the birds themselves but the management scheme for the refuge was absolutely fascinating. Glad I was able to help it along .
    That sounds amazing. How'd you land that job, if I may ask?

MBTI
    INTP

I work for a youth conservation corps. We basically function as a subcontractor for land management agencies or anybody else that has money to throw at conservation related work. I spent 3 weeks there cutting tamarisk/saltcedar and russian olive to move their restoration efforts along. Such a small dent in what needs to be done, but it was a nice change from office work.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I went through a birding phase. Got up early a few mornings to 'track' this bird I could hear calling. Couldn't really see it too well (lol....my Se sucks), but by the second day I had Id'd it as a .......

common robin.

I wish I knew every bird song and call by ear, but I don't. My proudest moment as a birder was tracking down and identifying the semi-elusive Swainson's Thrush. I even used the written chord in a book to nail the diagnosis down between it and another kind of thrush. Consequently, it is now my fav bird.

I despise crows. nestrobbers that they are.

I <3 this bird. It sings at dusk and dawn only.

Swainson's Thrush:

and for those intersted, here is its song:

[YOUTUBE="G-pgV6-A8ZA"]It has a most beautiful warble at the end of its song. <3[/YOUTUBE]
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I began birding in late 5th grade and was very occupied with it through high school, learning all of the species, trying to learn many of their songs, documenting what I saw during migration, etc. Once college began I dropped it for a while, but picked it up again after and am still always very interested in seeing new species. I've seen close to 400 species in the U.S., and worldwide, close to 600 (or over that? I don't really know, I'd have to look at my list which I don't have with me right now )

Have been interested in birds for over 20 years!
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I like to watch birds outside my home. Once in a while, I'll spot something interesting like a great horned owl but usually I just see scrub jays, house finches and white crowned sparrows.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by crayons View Post
    I like to watch birds outside my home. Once in a while, I'll spot something interesting like a great horned owl but usually I just see scrub jays, house finches and white crowned sparrows.
    Keep your ears open as well as your eyes. Once I heard a very high-pitched call, just barely within hearing range, and after looking around with my binocs for a while I spotted the source: a tiny Golden-crowned Kinglet.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I saw a few cedar waxwings today. I also saw that they managed to build a nest in a tree of my front yard. Aww. Never seen them IRL before even as common as they are.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I saw a few cedar waxwings today. I also saw that they managed to build a nest in a tree of my front yard. Aww. Never seen them IRL before even as common as they are.
    Ever seen any Bohemian Waxwings?

My birding days are really over with. I tried to watch the lunar eclipse through binoculars and ended up with a very sore neck the rest of the day.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by mal12345 View Post
    Ever seen any Bohemian Waxwings?
    Pictures yes in person no. I don't think they go this far south in the winter. The ones I spotted today had yellow feathered bellies and red spots on their wings, so I'm assuming they're cedar waxwings...

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Pictures yes in person no. I don't think they go this far south in the winter. The ones I spotted today had yellow feathered bellies and red spots on their wings, so I'm assuming they're cedar waxwings...
    They don't go much farther south than the southern boundaries of Idaho, Colorado, and South Dakota.