User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    infp

I love the glow in the dark galaxy idea. I found one today in my old room (I'm visiting home right now). While that room looks cool, I'd never be able to pull that off due to budget and the style of the apartment itself not really suiting that (its a building from the 20's, so vntage style would be sweeeeeeet haha).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The thing about going retro is that authentic 1920's usually involved wallpaper or colored walls, if you had any style, and it wasn't the bathroom or the kitchen (which looks very chic with white walls and large black and white tile). Painting the walls a solid color and hanging sheer white curtains would be more authentic.

In many ways it was a toned-down, de-cluttered Victorian look with more straight lines. They still had the gilted wallpaper and lots of heavy accessories, but boxier furniture and more open space, a bit more minimal than Victorian which is frightfully clutter-chic and over-frilled.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Here's something 1920's with white walls.

But do you see all the decoration on the walls?

See the wallpaper:

Or the colored walls

And all the paneling here (click link):

1920's House Beautiful interior design

Maybe you might get some ideas.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

What do you want it to feel like in there?

MBTI
    infp

Haha yeah... and I'm a student so my budget is basically as close to free as humanly possible. I suppose authentic style is out of the question... Otherwise I'd just buy a gramophone and call it a day! I suppose I'll stick to the simple tips you guys have given -cool curtains, throw pillows, and maybe covering the desk, maybe a cool lamp and some of my favourite posters will do. It won't need anything fancy, just enough that it isn't so dull I won't want to be in it.

Those pictures you are showing actually look a great deal like my place -we have the panelling and the fireplace and whatnot. Of course, the original paint/wallpaper is long gone. We managed to find a few lamps that are imitation art nouveau stuff as well, although that would have been out of style when my building was made!

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    What do you want it to feel like in there?
    The room is multi-purpose, but mostly for me to play my various instruments. So I want it to feel partially like a cool hang out place and partially like a mad-scientists laboratory, and partially like an artists studio hahaha

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Haha yeah... and I'm a student so my budget is basically as close to free as humanly possible. I suppose authentic style is out of the question... Otherwise I'd just buy a gramophone and call it a day! I suppose I'll stick to the simple tips you guys have given -cool curtains, throw pillows, and maybe covering the desk, maybe a cool lamp and some of my favourite posters will do. It won't need anything fancy, just enough that it isn't so dull I won't want to be in it.

Those pictures you are showing actually look a great deal like my place -we have the panelling and the fireplace and whatnot. Of course, the original paint/wallpaper is long gone. We managed to find a few lamps that are imitation art nouveau stuff as well, although that would have been out of style when my building was made!
    Can you not paint the wall? Painting the wall would be cheap, your girlfriend could help you, and it would save on having to buy other accessories for the room, making it more authentic, especially if you painted it a flat, solid color and perhaps got some cheap sheer curtains (or those old-fashioned pull down shades depending on the type of window). It would look authentic, add color, and be affordable.

But yes if you really can't or don't want to paint, authentic probably isn't a realistic option on a budget of nearly zero.

MBTI
    infp

I'll talk to the super about painting. I'm pretty sure there are a few paint cans in one of the closets, come to think about it. And there's really no reason we shouldn't be able to paint, its not like its that big a deal...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

If you offer to return it the way it was when you move out someday, then they are usually cool with simple paint.

Otherwise you have a lot of good suggestions. I also suggest vinyl wall art, which is removable. You can get some large, cool designs on Etsy for relatively cheap.

Example:

Oh yeah...what about having a little housewarming party? People sometimes bring you gifts like plants & whatnot that could prove useful.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I painted one of my rooms peppermint before: mint green with a pink door and trim. Then we had a purple bathroom, a blue living room, and a yellow kitchen. This was a basement apartment in a single story 1920's house on the East coast.

My roommate tried painting her room gold and it looked absolutely horrid. I'd leave the metallic paints to the professionals, and besides flat colors are the only ones that are authentic for that time period.