• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help! My dog...

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I have a one year old Labrador/American Pit bull Terrier mix and I decided to switch her to premium food 5 days ago. Ever since I switched her she has been having diarrhea and then yesterday she started vomiting the food up... I can't return it to amazon because its been opened and according to the "Natural Balance" website there isn't a recall on my bag. My dog has only puked when I was bringing her home from being fixed!

Has anyone else used the "Ultra Premium Formula Dry Dog Food" and had such problems? I'm pissed I bought a 33lb bag of it for $47.99!

Does anyone know if there are other websites for recalls on dog food? or what else it may be o_O;

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Most likely, her stomach is just not adjusted to the new food. Dogs can be very sensitive when it comes to food, so you need to switch her over to the new food gradually. Put her back on the old food for a week or so to let her stomach settle, then gradually start mixing in the new food, like 1/4 new food + 3/4 old food for a couple days, then half and half, etc, until you transition to feeding her the new food completely.

If you do it gradually and it still seems like it's making her sick, she may be allergic to something in the new food, unfortunately. Check the ingredients against the old food. A lot of dogs are allergic to wheat and/or chicken. My dog is. So he gets Lamb & Rice formula.

Good luck! It's no fun to have a sick puppy. :(

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I have always just bought her what was on sale when I ran out. So shes never had an "old" dog food. She also never got sick prior from switching food. Plus I don't have any of the dog food I was using before left. I think its defective honestly, they had a recall in June for the same dog food...

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
Try mixing it in with the old food like a 1/3 to 2/3 mix and gradually let her get used to it. You should also check into the label, there is a lot of stuff they put into dogfood that dogs cannot properly digest, I havent had a dog in a few years so I forget, but corn may be one of them. If that doesnt work you may just have to suck up the 50 bucks and chalk it up to experience.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Contact them then ...

Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc.
12924 Pierce Street, Pacoima, California 91331
1 (800) 829-4493

And in the meantime, pick up the old brand. :) Good luck!

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's better to stick to one brand that works for the dog. If the diarhea is bad and persistant, it's a good idea to mix in some norit. Diahrea is bad for dogs, it can dehydrate them pretty quickly and also prevent them from absorbing enough through digestation.

http://www.prescriptiondrugs.com/drugs/norit?page=40

Norit works well for dogs as well, most veterinarians prescribe it as well for dogs that have diarrhea problems. For usage and dosage it'd be best to get a vets opinion.

First thing first though, the food you bought might be a bad batch. It might be a good idea to see if you can google the brand and if you can find more people with problems using it. There are plenty of brands out there still that aren't exactly that good.

A dogs digestive system is, unlike the human digestive system, not very resistant to radical changes.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Others here already gave good advice. Sometimes it's not the food or the batch, it's just your dogs system getting used to it. Or they might have an allergy to an ingredient. I also switch brands for my dogs since they are picky and that has caused the dreaded 'poo butt' :)cry:) but I chalked that up to switching. I have since found a brand that they like and doesn't cause problems - it's also a similar level to the brand you got that is grain/gluten free and supposedly mostly quality meat.

Technically you should always slowly introduce the food, but like you I've been just switching out the brands whole because it's easier. If mixing the food to reintroduce doesn't help and there's nothing wrong with your batch, you can always try to swap the food with a friend who has dogs? Or try to resell on Craiglist...though most people wouldn't want to buy partially opened dog food online but you can always try.

Agent Jelly

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Well now I don't know if its because of her dog food or because of the strange things she has been finding outside and eating. She will go behind bushes where I can't see here and then yesterday she found some bagel that looked older than Jesus Christ himself. Ugh. I hate my neighbors! I'm gonna try feeding her the food in smaller batches and see if it stops it. IDK what is going on with my little Rawlfie...

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^ When my dogs throw up it's usually because they ate too much too fast - specifically table scraps or weird things they pick up outside. They definitely will eat animal droppings and trash so I scream at them sometimes when I see them sniffing around.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
^Hehe. Yeah, my dog pukes if she drinks water too fast. It's happened countless times and she keeps doing it. Dumbass.

ExAstrisSpes

MBTI Type
ENFJ
A bit of canned pumpkin will help firm up the droppings until your dog gets used to the food. Just make sure it's actual canned pumpkin and not pie filling.